1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Fog Lights on with High Beams (Brights) FREE!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ostrichsak, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Nov 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It's federal.... but most states don't enforce it.

States that have safety inspections will likely ding you for it.
    States that don't have safety inspections... it's up to the officer to be able to tell whether they are fogs or driving lights.
    Fogs must shut off with the high beams, driving lights must shut off with the low beams, both must shut off when the headlights are dark.

2. Nov 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Be careful if you have them configured to be able to be left on with the ignition off.
    Our switches do not have indicator lights, but with or without an indicator, it's a matter of when, not if, you leave the things on and come out in the morning to a dead battery.

3. Nov 14, 2013 at 4:49 AM
    justchil

justchil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    WV
    Vehicle:
    13 AC TRD OR

No doubt man. Common sense seems to be a thing of the past. I would much rather have a ticket then hit a deer or fall off the edge of a country road and get hurt or worse. If you're a responsible driver you will turn off your brights if other cars are present and only use them when they are needed.

4. Dec 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM
    kn61408

kn61408 Retired old fart

Member:
    western washington
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DCLB sport pyrite mica
    12v always on power point mod, tailgate anti-theft, Addl bed tiedowns, flyzeye dash lights, map lites with dome lite mod, bed stiffeners, air bags, brake controller, always on fog lights,
    Just did this mod, and it works great! Thanks TW members!

5. Dec 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak [OP] Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Fo sho! :cool:

6. Apr 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    I'm sure that'll work just fine.

You're welcome :cool:

7. Jun 15, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    Zollars

Zollars Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Suspension: 5100 Billstein Front Shocks Rear AAL 3" lift Engine Bay/Engine: Under-Hood LED lighting Hood QuickLift Elite Hood Struts - Redline Tuning Exterior Additions/Mods: Front Steel Skid plate Front Bumper Light Bar - NFab Bed Cap System: Steal Bedside and Tailgate Caps - KBVoodoo Fabrications 2x US Flag Vinyl Decals Under Mirrors - Far North By Design Exterior Lighting/Electrical: Retrofit Headlights - Ambiguous Fog Light Relay Mod (Fogs On With High Beams) - Thanks To Ostrichsak Depo Taillights 50" 4D Curved Trac Performance LED Light Bar - SLX Motorsports 4x Spot Fog Lights on NFab bar Full Exterior LED Bulb Swap - CSJumper LEDs Interior Additions/mods: CVRV Mirror Riser - BirdDawg Industries Pioneer 8100NEX Head unit Interior 6 Switch Panel - IggyCorp Interior Lighting/Electrical: Backlit 4x4 Switch Mod - RCBS204 Otrattw Switches On IggyCorp Panel For Accessories Dome Light on With Open Door Mod
    Just did this myself and it all works great! Wrapped some extra wiring around each pin so I could get to them when it was plugged in. Hit each with the multimeter and everything is showing normal and functioning pretty much normally.

I used a perfectly cut piece of solid copper wire and soldered ot to both pins the OP showed

Another good way to do it is just like what I have quoted below from Burgh, but to also add some solder ro prevent any possibility of slipping off, thought it would amaze me if it did.

8. Jul 23, 2015 at 11:22 AM
    MotoMoose68

MotoMoose68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Southwestern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Strut Spacer and block lift, w/33" tires on custom wheels.
    State Inspections are actually a good thing to consider. Texas has one and I'll have to see if I get noticed having both High and Low on at the same time. It will be a while before I need an inspection, so I'll probably forget unless I alter the mod now.

To make it easy to return to stock for an inspection, there are two ways. Have a spare relay, or instead of this little jumper between terminals, sub it with wire out to a toggle switch, that can sit in the compartment with the fuses and relays. Then when you go for inspection, just flip the switch or swap relays and it will be stock for the inspection.

9. Aug 28, 2015 at 2:46 AM
    JWROSE4

JWROSE4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5 4X4
    Work In Progress
    So does the jumper wire have to be heavy enough to handle a certain amount of load or is all that is being done is a short circuit? If that is the case, "not that I would use it, but would something as simple as a piece of tin foil work?" Just trying to get a clear description of what size wire to use, cause I tried this with 16 gauge and could not get it. Also I found out that I can not solder worth a crap. I think we would have a better chance of pigs flying than me getting a successful solder.

10. Aug 28, 2015 at 5:50 AM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Suspension: 5100 Billstein Front Shocks Rear AAL 3" lift Engine Bay/Engine: Under-Hood LED lighting Hood QuickLift Elite Hood Struts - Redline Tuning Exterior Additions/Mods: Front Steel Skid plate Front Bumper Light Bar - NFab Bed Cap System: Steal Bedside and Tailgate Caps - KBVoodoo Fabrications 2x US Flag Vinyl Decals Under Mirrors - Far North By Design Exterior Lighting/Electrical: Retrofit Headlights - Ambiguous Fog Light Relay Mod (Fogs On With High Beams) - Thanks To Ostrichsak Depo Taillights 50" 4D Curved Trac Performance LED Light Bar - SLX Motorsports 4x Spot Fog Lights on NFab bar Full Exterior LED Bulb Swap - CSJumper LEDs Interior Additions/mods: CVRV Mirror Riser - BirdDawg Industries Pioneer 8100NEX Head unit Interior 6 Switch Panel - IggyCorp Interior Lighting/Electrical: Backlit 4x4 Switch Mod - RCBS204 Otrattw Switches On IggyCorp Panel For Accessories Dome Light on With Open Door Mod
    It's a weird thing to solder. I had to wrap the wire around the relay pin and solder it to itself tight around the pin

11. Aug 28, 2015 at 8:54 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    It really shouldn't need to be super thick but I've seen a few people now just wrap the posts a few times with the wire and it will stay. You can even just 'tack solder' the wires once wrapped as they should hold the solder better than the tabs.

12. Aug 28, 2015 at 10:49 AM
    JWROSE4

JWROSE4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5 4X4
    Work In Progress
    Thanks.....I'm just glad I decided to buy an extra relay before I tried it. Screwed the other one up pretty good, melted the plastic some and had it looking pretty ugly!

13. Aug 28, 2015 at 2:52 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    When the relay is in the socket, it's all the way down, so wrapping a wire like Ostrichsak said will cause the wire to stay in nice and tight.

14. Nov 11, 2015 at 4:21 PM
    Lyle430

Lyle430 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport Tacoma
    All pro long travel with Fox DSC's, defined sua, Engage bed cage, glassworks fiberglass fenders, dtf front bumper, method wheels,
    So if you do this mod you can turn the fog lights on anytime? Lights off and fog lights will come on?

15. Nov 11, 2015 at 6:59 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    No, that is the fog light anytime mod. This just allows to retain fog light power with the brights

16. Nov 11, 2015 at 7:30 PM
    Lyle430

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All pro long travel with Fox DSC's, defined sua, Engage bed cage, glassworks fiberglass fenders, dtf front bumper, method wheels,
    Ok, I read through all the pages. I'm still confused, low beams on, high beams on and fogs can be on all at the same time with this mod?

17. Nov 11, 2015 at 8:16 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    With the stock setup, the fog lights will be on with the low beams.

As soon as you kick your brights on, the fogs will turn off automatically.

This mod stops that from happening, and keeps the fog lights on when you kick your high beams on.

18. Nov 11, 2015 at 8:25 PM
    Lyle430

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    I understand that. But some people were saying it would keep your low beams on too with your high beams. Is that true?

DJ IslandBoy likes this.
  19. Nov 11, 2015 at 8:27 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    If it is, I have not noticed, and I have not noticed any issues with bulb life or melting or anything

20. Nov 11, 2015 at 8:30 PM
    Lyle430

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    Ok, thanks for the input. I'll be doing this tomorrow and will update if anything comes up.

Products Discussed in

To Top