1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY LCA Bushing Replacement 2005+ Tacoma (4x4)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by XXXX, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Jul 6, 2013 at 4:45 AM
    mo13

mo13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    fleming island,FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    Icon RR extended length coilovers with cdc,Icon RR 2.0 custom length shocks, Icon tube UCA,all pro standard leaf pack,allpro u bolt flip kit,extended front and rear steel braided brake lines,CMC,super bumps, color matched mirror covers, relentless fab front bumper, smittybilt 8k winch with syn line, viking thimble and hawse fairlead, d2s retro fits, 20" led bar on bamf bracket, 4 rigid duallys, skygear fuse box, viper remote start, and a very shotty made satoshi raptor mesh grill made by myself haha
    Thanks for all the help man.

2. Sep 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I seem to be having the same problem as most of the people above. Now I know this is a common problem, especially since I live in Utah and they salt the roads like none other.

So a while back I took it to Firestone to have an alignment, they told me I had a camber bolt that was seized but the alignment wasn't too bad so I could just get the bolt replaced on my next alignment. So this time before I took it in for an alignment I checked all the bolts because I wanted to make sure for myself that one of the bolts were in fact seized. All of them turned fine so I took it to Firestone again and told them I fixed it so it should be fine this time. After the alignment they told me the bolt was still seized so I told them to just leave it. This time I removed both the plate/nut and the bolt shown in the picture below from XXXX

[​IMG]

I tried moving the sleeve on my front passenger side and I couldn't (I didn't have a 26mm socket so I tried hammering it from the back to see if I could get it to slide forward but I couldn't.)

Now the interesting part:
    I removed the bolt and plate/nut while the truck was on jack stands. I then lowered the truck without the bolt and plate in the camber assembly and as I predicted the camber sleeve turned with the LCA as I could see from the plate attached to the sleeve.
    I then lifted the truck again, but the bolt and plate back in and torqued it down to 100lbs and dropped the truck. This time the camber sleeve did not turn with the LCA.

Now I'm not sure if the sleeve or the bushing was the one turning when I did not have the bolt and plate on but I still find it interesting that Firestone couldn't align it. I'm planning on getting a 26mm socket and trying to turn it with that but I want to know what you guys think. I've been really busy lately and I don't want to spend the time to do all that again if there's no point.

3. Sep 2, 2013 at 5:57 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
  4. Sep 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    XXXX

XXXX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    someone buy them and try them already dam it :D

everyones getting those crappy ones you have to butcher your old ones why the heck is no one trying the whiting? Buy them - if they don't fit return them. SOoooooooooooooooooo much easier and better than reusing rusted POS liners IMO. Mine were rusted to pieces.

How did that press work out for you? I had a real press and couldn't get them out.

My cutting method only take 5-10 minutes. No way would all thread of saved me if my press was bending.

5. Sep 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prerunner TRD Sport-DCLB
    Bilstein 5100 #24-186711 front shock @ .85", Bilstein 5100 #24-186728 rear shock, Moog steering components (upper & lower balljoints, inner & outer tie rods, swaybar links & bushings), TRD/AFE CAI, debadged, Sockmonkey vinyl, Weathertech floormats, Husky mudguards, Pop & Lock
    Mine couldn't wait any longer and I can't afford to have my truck tore apart for 2 weeks because Whitelines may or may not fit.
    If it was a sure thing, I would have went with poly.

Supposedly, Energy Suspension is working on it.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/273795-free-energy-suspension-parts.html

I did notice, they now have steering rack and frame/body mount bushings.
    http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products.asp?cat=Toyota+Tacoma+2WD+Prerunner+2007

6. Sep 17, 2013 at 2:20 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    I haven't tried it yet... I've been too busy with work and school... I'm currently driving with my steering wheel tilted slightly left when I'm going strait but my tires are already pretty bald so I'm not worrying about it :eek:

I might call whiteline one of these days and see what they say...

7. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:25 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    If you can pull nut, bolt and that sleeved bolt out completely, it's obviously not seized and there's no reason Firestone shouldn't have been able to align the truck. Mine were seized, I couldn't pull the bolts out from within the bushing, it was all a rusted together mess.

As far as what's spinning, with the bolt out and nothing tightened, the bushing should stay with the LCA and spin within the LCA tabs. Once you put the bolt in and tighten it down, the inner bushing sleeve should stay with the bolt (and truck frame) and the outter bushing sleeve should move with the LCA, forcing the rubber to 'twist' as the suspension cycles.

8. Sep 29, 2013 at 2:00 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    I follow your logic. In fact that was exactly what I was thinking. I'm going to get a 26mm socket and see if I can turn it myself. But when I had it apart last time I tried to hammer the sleeve out of the bushing and it didn't budge. I actually ruined the end of it a bit and almost couldn't put the plate/nut back on it.

9. Oct 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    PATACO13

PATACO13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle:
    '03 V6 TRD 4x4
    stock
    Quick question on old thread. I've installed 5100's in the front and prior to getting an alignment, my shop warned me about the tendency of cam bolts to seize in LCA bushings. After plenty of research on TW, I've been soaking with PB Blaster for a week or so.

My question is: If they are seized up, will the cam tabs be bent? Or rather, can the cam bolts be seized up without bending the tabs? My tabs are all perfectly straight. I know this thread is for 2nd Gen but I drive an 03.

Thanks

10. Oct 1, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    tab can bend but not always
    go outside mark the cams position
    and take a 19mm socket and wrench and take apart
    if not seized grease them before they do....
    i dont understand why everyone does not do this when they get the truck or before getting an alingment.....
    just had mine apart..after greasing them the year before
    and even after irean and sandy and all the beach driving and such they still work smooth as silk
    good luck

11. Oct 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    adriancast

adriancast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Upland, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Firestone Airbags w cradles -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod
    I need to do this :/

12. Oct 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    PATACO13

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle:
    '03 V6 TRD 4x4
    stock
    thank you. first i'd heard of this issue when the owner of the alignment shop told me that 9/10 tacomas are seized. they're a specialty shop in business since 1919 so I trust them. but I just picked this truck up a month ago, my second Tacoma. i'll get under there and check it out. do I need to jack up the LCA before doing so?

13. Oct 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    you could jack it up but not needed...do one at a time.......
    mark the cams and take apart....
    if i remember right the front have the bolt and sleeve and the rears have only the bolt...
    i cant remember tho maybe some will chime in as to that

14. Oct 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Thank you, Nancy Roman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Yes, quite easily.

I'll be surprised if your truck's 10 year old bushings & cams aren't fused together. Maybe you'll be lucky and the last owner recently rebuilt the LCAs. Good luck.

15. Oct 2, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    I believe that is correct. The fronts are the weird sleeve and the rear is just a bolt.

16. Oct 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    PATACO13

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle:
    '03 V6 TRD 4x4
    stock
    cool thank you! I was able to pull the bolt from either side in front and rotate the cams. appears that previous owner did replace them, they are by far much shinier than any other piece of hardware on the truck haha. they weren't greased though so I smothered them with red n tacky. sorry no pics. I didn't get into the rears because I don't feel like messing with steering gear boots and tie rods. but the fronts being that free put my mind at ease and i'll report back after I get it aligned. thanks again

17. Oct 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    XXXX

XXXX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
  18. Oct 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    PATACO13

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle:
    '03 V6 TRD 4x4
    stock
    I got lucky...all four cams were free inside the bushing and rides much straighter after alignment

19. Oct 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Thank you, Nancy Roman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
  20. Oct 11, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods