1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY oil pressure sending unit install

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jeffh1199, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Oct 12, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    Jeffh1199

Jeffh1199 [OP] Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    tsb springs, Westin bull bar, westin stainless nerf bars, Piaa driving lights 520, ome lift up front and 3 leaf progressive aal out back with ome shocks, Full HID headlight conversion, Dyno lock power tailgate lock, complete swap to led bulbs, wet okole seat covers front and rear, Pioneer indash navigation
    I thought I would share my experience with installing an oil pressure gauge. I got a great deal on the gauge itself from glowshift.com. The problem is how to mound the sending unit. I thought i would try the sandwich adapter. I wasnt thrilled with this option but I did give it a shot. It leaked oil everywhere. I sent it back and tried again. 2nd time around it still leaked for whatever the reason I could not get the sandwich adapter to seal. I think I got 2 bum gaskets. I thought this was kind of odd because I know alot of people here seem to run them without much problem. I went a different route and it costs about the same as the sandwich adapter. I got an adapter set up so I could use the factory oil pressure sending location. Its a tight fit but when youre done you cant even see it and best of all no leaks plus you can keep the factory sending unit. I will list the parts and where I got them from. Im sure if you looked hard enough you could get them cheaper. I will say there are other adapter options but you should probably go with these parts. Otherwise you will have clearance issues.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com
    Pressure Gauge Adapters, 1/8 BSP Male & Female part 1073
    Steel 1/8 NPT Female Tee part 3223
    1/8 NPT Male Pipe Nipple - Aluminum part 3255-02
    For a grand total of 36.97 + shipping

The factory sensor is located just to the left of the oil filter on the 4.0 if you have the easy access filter. Its the sensor with 1 wire coming out of it. Its a 24 mm deep socket do get the sensor out. When you install the tee just put the factory sensor on top and the aftermarket sender on the side there is just enough room.

I will say this lol when you use the adaptor kit pay attention to the little marks on the side of the fitting. I almost stripped the adaptor because I wasnt paying attention. The one with 3 grooves goes into the original port. The 1 with 4 goes into the tee so that the factory sensor can be screwed into the tee.

If I get a chance I will snap a few pics and attach them later. Maybe if the powers that be find this useful it can make its way to the cheap mod list.

This site is great but it is a huge drain on the wallet. Its just like crack you just cant stop at one lol.

Here are a few pics of the sensor installed.

IMAG0045.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0050.jpg
    IMAG0052.jpg
    IMAG0053.jpg

2. Oct 12, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Interesting, do take a lot of pics of install process.

You can do a write-up and post the pics for each step. They'll put it up in the mod section.

3. Oct 12, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    Your adapter leaked? Eek! I just ordered an oil temp & pressure gauge and was going to use one of those things...

4. Oct 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    interesting. i think adding pics will be plenty for others to do this as a DIY (although you will always have boneheads that need their hand held..). good work!

5. Oct 13, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Would be helpful if you'd put your cost into the OP. Otherwise I am required to click on 3 links and add those costs up myself :)

6. Oct 13, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    This may not be the best avenue for F/I trucks as it is very close to the blower belt. Probably doable, but you would need to be careful.

I have noticed on some sandwich plates, the center threaded adapter is too long. You have to trim it about 1/8". If it is not trimmed, the gaskets leak. This is not to say ALL sandwich plate adapters are too long.

Here is a pic on a F/I with a sandwich plate and an oem oil cooler.
    oilpress004_a4a41da0bc12c34957fea1a30f0da517e872fb4c.jpg

I am pointing to the OEM low oil pressure switch.

oilpress002_61669167e90f2e0d26f9841be40470169603d3dc.jpg

This shot shows two sending units. Oil press & Oil temp.

This pic is just because I want to show off my engine.:)
    [​IMG]

lilgerber likes this.
  7. Oct 13, 2010 at 12:36 PM
    Jeffh1199

Jeffh1199 [OP] Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    tsb springs, Westin bull bar, westin stainless nerf bars, Piaa driving lights 520, ome lift up front and 3 leaf progressive aal out back with ome shocks, Full HID headlight conversion, Dyno lock power tailgate lock, complete swap to led bulbs, wet okole seat covers front and rear, Pioneer indash navigation
    Coupe is right. If you have a blower the set up I suggested wont work. The belt goes right where the other sending unit would go. I am at work but I will post a pic of what I have done tonight. The next time i change my oil I will redo it and post pics with step by step instructions.

After I cleaned up that nasty oilly mess from the 2nd sandwich adapter. I wasnt going to go that route again. I am not sure if all of the adaptors are created equal. It was probably my rotten luck lol. I havent had much as of late. Last night my g/f backed out my truck and backed into the pedophile next door. lol no damage to the truck but there is probably 1000 dollars of damage to his car.

But i digress.

8. Oct 13, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    Next time wait until he is walking in the street.

9. Jul 10, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    2011crewman

2011crewman Member

Member:
    yorba linda
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma off road
    jeffh1199,
    great post and thanks for all the links with part numbers to Pegasus. Really, really helps when others want to do identical installs. I'm gonna use the same setup on my 2011 4.0.

crewman2011

10. Jul 10, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    gatlin69

gatlin69 Retired?

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Nerf bars, bug shield,skid plate, coming soon (hopefully) DVD NAV
    BTW great looking engine bay!!

11. Jul 10, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    Thanks

12. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    skulltacoma

skulltacoma Make more better!

Member:
    First Name:
    BEN
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 toyota tacoma trd modified
    CAI, dynomax turbo exhaust system,tinted windows medium on the fronts to match the backs, hid kit hi and low beam, pop and lock tailgate, painted calipers red with caliper paint, put 2.25' leveling kit in front and a 1" block in the rear. its now level and rides WAY better (readylift)>way nicer than the revtek my buddy has i think its garbage imo<, hurst "T" shifter, 18 x 10 american racing (can't remember the name) chrome rims with badass 5 inch lip :), 12 inch rockford fosgate punch with rockford fosgate 600 watt amp, bushwacker fender flares (cheaper than replacing the one i wrecked lol) ,kc light bar with kc lights, toyota aluminum stamped skid plate, and a skull front license plate. More mods to come, thinking a 6 inch lift and arb bumper etc etc.
    Interesting write up i am looking to install a few different gauges and oil pressure is on the list anyone know of a good cheap sandwich type? ( i like the idea of the t however i will be going to a F/I supercharger later.) Is the sandwich a part that goes between the oil filter? and the oil filter port?

Any help would be awesome.

Also any ideas for a water temp gauge where to tap that in?

13. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    The sandwich plate is the "meat" of the sandwich. On the bottom is your engine with a center threaded port sticking up. The oil filter is the other slice of bread on top.

Ebay has tons of listings on this. You need a 3/4-16UNF threaded part in the center. I would guess your gauges would require a 1/8 npt port on the side of the sandwich plate.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Mar 5, 2014 at 4:53 PM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Thanks JeffH for the OP. This is exactly what I am wanting to do, but when I looked up the original number (1073) on the Pegasus site it said the part was no longer available. They did have another part (1073-001) that showed a part with a male 1/8 BSP, a female 1/8 BSP and a female 1/8 NPT.
    [​IMG]

Does this part look like it will take the place of the other parts?
    Any help GREATLY appreciated!
    Ken

15. May 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I was able to do a little "plumbing" and get the "Tee" installed so I can add the oil pressure gauge and the idiot light. It took the following parts:

• One 1/8" X 2" long brass nipple (in place of stock sending unit).
    • One 1/8" 45 degree brass elbow.
    • One 1/8" X 90 degree brass nipple.
    • One Pressure Gauge Adapter (pictured in prior post) from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies PN 1073-001

It worked out perfectly. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

After the initial install I found a small leak but fortunately it was where the Tee connected to the 45 degree elbow. I removed the tee, reinstalled some Teflon tape and made sure it was good and snug. Poof! No more leak.
    Worked great and not I just need to get my gauges set up in the cab.
    Ken

16. Apr 29, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    thereverend

thereverend rev

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    B'ham AL
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD Sport 6spd SC
    TRD SC, URD 1 size smaller SC drive pulley, Volant CAI w scoop, TacoTunes full kit, MagnaFlow muffler for flow but ran out rear to kill the drone.
    So OP parts list WILL work w S/C?

17. Jul 20, 2017 at 4:22 PM
    CanoeCarrier

CanoeCarrier '19 TRD Off-Road AC

Member:
    North West, North Western Ontario
    Silly question but what is the part called that the oil pressure sending unit screws into? I know a guy who was trying to replace the oil pressure sending unit and broke the piece it screws into. I'm trying to find out what that part is called so I can, I mean he can see if it can be easily repaired

Products Discussed in

To Top