1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Qi Charging Magnetic Phone FrankenMount (iPhone)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by gpb, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Jun 3, 2017 at 7:27 AM
    paradox4286

paradox4286 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 TRDOR DCSB P/T JBL
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Yeah, I got some 3m vinyl off Amazon, and took my time using a heat gun and patience.

ffpdfirefighter2002 likes this.
  2. May 9, 2018 at 6:02 AM
    FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR/LB Quicksand
    Leer topper w/ Prinsu racks. Bilstein 5100's & Falken 285's
    I'm using the Hondo vent mount too. Looks like you're routing the power through the air vent? Are you making a hole in the duct tube and then routing it to something behind the dash? Where are you drawing power from?

3. May 9, 2018 at 6:23 AM
    EagleUSMCRet

EagleUSMCRet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM 4x4 Tacoma DC Limited
    Scosche Magnetic Mount Qi charger for iPhone; AVS Vent Visors; Replaced Entune system with AVIC 8400 NEX Head unit, The Taco Garage DMM for Qi charger; LED interior light upgrades,magnet secure thingy, ARE Z Cap w/ Yakima Rack, Front Bed Rail, Bed Rug, Tuffy Bed Lock Box, Add a leaf, Pop and Lock, Blendmount and mirror tap for radar detector, AVS Hoodflector, Redline Hood Gas Spring mod. A/C drain mod, Duracell 27M battery, Debadged the tailgate, Compustar remote start, USB charger for the rear seats, Husky Mats, Lexus Credit Card Transponder Fob, MAG Light mount, twin Hella Sharptone horns, Bedslide, Gasshole, Meso Fuze cover, TRD Gas cap cover, Passenger side locking door handle, Mr. Produxn license place mount....help me I can't stop!!!
    No. I pulled off the silver trim part of the dashboard... using a dremel... I made a round notch large enough for the power wire to fit through with out pinching.... if you need a picture... my truck is in for the 15K mile service and I won’t pick it up till this afternoon.

4. May 9, 2018 at 6:24 AM
    FlyingMonkey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    gotcha. no picture needed. where did you route it to?

5. May 9, 2018 at 6:26 AM
    EagleUSMCRet

Member:
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    Scosche Magnetic Mount Qi charger for iPhone; AVS Vent Visors; Replaced Entune system with AVIC 8400 NEX Head unit, The Taco Garage DMM for Qi charger; LED interior light upgrades,magnet secure thingy, ARE Z Cap w/ Yakima Rack, Front Bed Rail, Bed Rug, Tuffy Bed Lock Box, Add a leaf, Pop and Lock, Blendmount and mirror tap for radar detector, AVS Hoodflector, Redline Hood Gas Spring mod. A/C drain mod, Duracell 27M battery, Debadged the tailgate, Compustar remote start, USB charger for the rear seats, Husky Mats, Lexus Credit Card Transponder Fob, MAG Light mount, twin Hella Sharptone horns, Bedslide, Gasshole, Meso Fuze cover, TRD Gas cap cover, Passenger side locking door handle, Mr. Produxn license place mount....help me I can't stop!!!
    I plugged the usb into the dc converter and tapped that into the fuse panel and ground on the drivers side above the kick panel.

6. May 9, 2018 at 6:27 AM
    FlyingMonkey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    did you use a fuse splitter or add-a-circuit thingy?

7. May 9, 2018 at 6:41 AM
    EagleUSMCRet

Member:
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
  8. May 9, 2018 at 6:44 AM
    FlyingMonkey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    thank you!

9. Sep 5, 2019 at 4:44 PM
    porterx

porterx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Don't think I'm trying to rain on your parade but please relieve me of my confusion. I have been chasing this problem ever since I got my 2018 Tacoma and have had minimal luck. When I discovered this post, it looked promising. My problem is, why wouldn't something like this be just as good? It is a Nillkin Fast Charger and has a horseshoe shaped metal plate that attaches to the phone. Please tell me why the Frankenmount is different and/or better than the mount that I've linked. I already have most of the parts needed and can be convinced to build a Frankenmount but I'd rather just buy the charger that I've linked due to sheer laziness, all things being equal. TIA.

Edit: Maybe the Frankenmount was good 3 years ago? Is that what I'm missing? I'm really liking the charger that I linked.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  10. Sep 5, 2019 at 4:57 PM
    EagleUSMCRet

Member:
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    I’m at a work event tonight. Let’s discuss tomorrow. Maybe a phone call?

porterx likes this.
  11. Sep 5, 2019 at 5:13 PM
    porterx

Member:
    I'm at work myself. PM me when you can.

12. Sep 5, 2019 at 6:17 PM
    EagleUSMCRet

Member:
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    In a cab now. Let me check your link and let’s hook up tomorrow.
    I think you have and I had similar concerns.

13. Sep 5, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    EagleUSMCRet

Member:
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    OK... I see what you are asking... let’s do a phone call... I originally went with the Nillkin charger... it couldn’t keep up when I was using Waze.... so I went with the Scosche fast charger at the time... the Franken mount term I borrowed from another TW guy who I copied and glued a ram ball on the back to connect to an “un wholey” mount.
    What would be a convenient time to hook up on the phone?

porterx likes this.
  14. Sep 5, 2019 at 7:35 PM
    porterx

Member:
    I am central time. Anytime between 4 and 9 pm. Obviously the phone number would have to be pm'ed.

As for keeping up, the power source matters as well as the charger. I'd prefer a quick charge 2.0 or 3.0 power source (which I have, though I'd rather hardwire the power) and a quick charge Qi charger that will hold onto the phone really well. And I want to affix the mount onto a flat spot somewhere on the dash. I've been looking at Museum Putty so I don't mar the dash if I ever needed to remove the mount.

I made the wiring harness that turns the stock usb into a fast charge and moves the data into the center console. I've not installed it yet. I had to substitute the power source for a Quick Charge because the dc/dc converter wouldn't allow fast charging on my S8 phone. Now I want to do this as well.

TMI, I'm sure.

EagleUSMCRet likes this.
  15. Sep 5, 2019 at 7:38 PM
    EagleUSMCRet

Member:
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    Not at all TMI... I Pm’d you for a number... I also added a DMM mount.

16. Sep 6, 2019 at 4:39 AM
    gpb

gpb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Yes, note that my original post related to using a Qi charging case with an iphone7 which didn't support Qi charging.

When I moved to an iphone Xs, I found that the Nillkin case for the Xs didn't work, I think it messed with the compass sensor. Yes, a horseshoe metal strip would likely work, but I didn't want to stick something on the back of my phone or the back of the phone case.

Thanks for bumping the thread, I'd neglected to follow up with what I ended up using - I've updated my OP accordingly.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    porterx and EagleUSMCRet like this.
To Top