1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Sealing and deadening your door panels

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by hookedontronics, Sep 29, 2010.

1. May 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    The cld, mlv, ccf all help sound quality. The sealing of the holes in door does not AND it causes issues refitting the door panel if you use ccf and mlv between the cld covered door. That is my experience and I stand by it. I have Focal K2 components in the front and coax in the rear. Neither set of doors was helped by closing off the holes in the door. The CLD, MLV, CCF all block as much of the backwave as possible without sealing. I got zero improvement from the door sealing. It was your thread that got me to do it in the first place. I also discovered that you dont need to or want to put a closure plate on from the front as you demonstrated... you want to put it on from the back and not have to drill into any metal. That is my personal experience after attempting a mod you suggested and I attempted. I feel it is perfectly valid to express that, just as I feel its valid to say a lot of things wont work as descibed on this forum... like 295/70r17 tires fitting with a "little trimming" or use of MLV on the back wall of the DC making a noticable improvement if you have a sub box across the whole rear or 285s fitting with a Uniball UCA and caster within factory values. Experience has shown me that none of those are true. If you want to seal the door to block moisture... put the plate on the back/inner part of door. Door panel fits better that way.

2. May 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Any tips/tricks to removing the door panels? Done them before on other vehicles but didn't know if there was anything hidden or tricky on our specific door panels.

3. May 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Sealing the door in the event you don't have MLV is ideal for the reason DevL mentioned with regards to the backwave. I know that in my experience with my last car (Lexus IS300) I did seal up the doors WITHOUT MLV or CCF. It made a big difference. Could the same results using MLV and CCF? Probably. Our main goal in either case is to keep the backwave from interacting/cancelling the front wave. More than one way to skin a cat.

PS: The weep holes at the bottom of the door are OUTSIDE the door seal and shouldn't allow the backwave to hit the front.

4. May 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    1C271

1C271 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Nice post hooked, 100% agree and know what you mean.

5. May 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Woah.....calm down children. Play nice.

6. May 29, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    No, pretty straight forward. screws behind pull handle and door latch.

Clip up in the front toward the top of the door.

Take off the little sail panel covers first, then use your fingernails or pliers to get out the little white clips, then move on to the door.

Work around the outside for the clips holding the door on, then lift up a bit to get over the top lip.

Very easy doors to get off.

7. May 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    x2, very very easy

8. May 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    PS....if you're having problems getting your door panels back on after sealing just use some 80grit sandpaper to sand down the foam structured parts connected to the door panel. Takes about 3 minutes.

9. Jun 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    03f5sp

03f5sp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road dcsb
    Front 5100s @ 2.5, 1.5 AAL, 265/75-16 all terrains
    How much material would I need for this? The only stuff I found locally was .22"x24"x36" which seems like to much.

10. Jun 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    12' sq. did my driver side doors on an AC if that helps out your calculations any

11. Jun 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM
    03f5sp

03f5sp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road dcsb
    Front 5100s @ 2.5, 1.5 AAL, 265/75-16 all terrains
    That much for sealing the doors? Or are you talkin about sound deadening?

12. Oct 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    Cratcher

Cratcher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cratcher
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco + Goodies
    goodies!
    I sound deadened my doors this last weekend. I am planning on the roof and most of the cabin as I bought 100SF of B-Quiet. I am very pleased with the results and I would recommend.

I also upgraded my entire stereo at the same time and it sounds great inside the cabin now. . . no buzzing or rattling what so ever

13. Oct 23, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Excellent work sir. Make sure you use the dampening in areas PRONE to vibration transmission or resonant surfaces. Meaning, dampen anything that would otherwise be a conduit for vibrations to other surfaces that will resonate and make noise. Highly structured areas like corners and attachment points don't require anything. The middle of flat broad surfaces is where you'll want to focus.

14. Oct 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    Leonel

Leonel Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DCSB TRDOR/6MT
    TC,Ext Kings,U402's,4:88's.Elocker rear,ARB front,etc..
    How do you take the headliner off without damaging it in order to do the roof?
    I have a 012 Regular cab and it seems like the sub makes the open back side of the bench seat rattle , what can be done to fix that?
    Thanks guys
    Leonel

15. Oct 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    It's tricky getting the headliner out but it can be done. You have to take out EVERYTHING binding it to the roof. That includes the oh shit bars, A, B, C pillars and the overhead console and dome light.

16. Oct 23, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    Leonel

Leonel Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DCSB TRDOR/6MT
    TC,Ext Kings,U402's,4:88's.Elocker rear,ARB front,etc..
    Will the end result be worth all that trouble?

17. Oct 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Yes.

18. Oct 24, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Honestly, there's not a lot going on up there but I did it anyway. It's probably the most resonant surface in the entire car but it's so far away from any vibration source it's really only subject to air pressure and nothing is really transmitted to it.

That being said. I deadened mine.

19. Aug 12, 2017 at 10:57 PM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    Forgive me for posting in an older thread but it seems that sound deadening the lid might also help reduce noise from roof rack turbulence, they always seem to howl a bit.

20. Aug 18, 2017 at 11:17 PM
    SamuelJ

SamuelJ Darkhorse

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    33.9269893 -118.0185768
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 Trd Sport
    Shortened flowmaster exhaust with a turn down pipe, under cowl intake, throttle body spacer, train horn, underhood led lights, hood struts, dual 27f yellow tops. Led ditch lights, led front roof light bar, led fogs and headlights, behind grill mounted piaa dual color driving lights. Aux fuse and relay panel. Pro comp skid plate, bilstein 5100 leveling shocks on a 2in. lift, b110 rear 5100, add a leaf, front superbumps, light racing jounce rear bumpstops, sway bar relocation, brake line bracket extension, driveline carrier bearing drop, front diff drop, on board air compressor, 10 gal pump driven fresh water tank, cb radio, pioneer 4200 hu, infinity reference component front and component rear speakers powered by rockford fosgate 4 channel, jl audio 10TW3-D4 sub powered by kx800.1 amplifier. Big three upgrade, capacitor. Full cab sound deadening and thermal insulation. Led interior including added footwell, courtesy, cupholder, center console, and glovebox lighting, rock lights, bed lights, ring gear armor, under bed ammo can storage, pistol safe, body armor sliders, roof rack, hilift, 285/70 17 nitto rodge grapplers on american racing teflon atx, tailgate strut, and tailgate lock, retrofit projector headlights(home built), rgb halos inside turbine shrouds, black out surround, black chrome reflector and shroud, white halo outside shroud, white led drl, rgb behind grill on rf control. Mods followed from a TW thread: Anytime fogs Anytime rear view camera Anytime 400w inverter Alternating blinker/running lights 110v center console outlet ABS kill switch Engine kill switch (magnetic) 12volt bed socket Rear diff breather relocation Led bed lights Cargo net anchors Grid it center console top Grid it sun visor Locking center console Instrument cluster led swap Map lights on with dome Cigarette lighter add (shifter position) Dtrl kill switch Hilux lighted 4wd selector switch. Vios hvac knobs Hood scoop led bar
    Dont worry I was reading this old thread too, lol. Stumbled across it and read it anyway. I was wondering about the noise my rack makes so maybe I should do something with the lid. My light bar whistles like a sob as well. I dont often drive without the radio on but I think someone would know how to pinpoint and silence it. Ive heard that a company makes some type of plate or something that cuts out the whistling from the light bar but I couldn't find it.

Products Discussed in

To Top