1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Tinting your tail lights CHEAP!!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FireTacMedic, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Sep 22, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    FireTacMedic

FireTacMedic [OP] I can save your life or ruin it

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5, Blacked Out
    Blacked out windows, Black Tacoma Badges, 18x9 Vrock Recons, 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers
    Hope this helps! Me and some guys at the fire house did these mods in a couple of hours. Should not run you any more than 30 to 40 dollars and this did my tail lights, 3rd light, headlights and fog lights.

Materials you'll need:

2000 g wet sand paper.
    tape and newspaper
    VHT Nite Shades spray tint
    Clear coat
    paint thinner
    Rubbing compound

First take out your tail lights or which ever lights you plan on tinting. This spray is made just fot this reason. I reccomend 2-3 coats. Tape off the outside edge of the light housing. You can use newpaper if you feel more comfortable to qrap the housing.

Next clean the surface of the light with mild soap and water. keeping the housing wet, wet the sandpaper and beging to lightly sand the housing cover. Not a lot of pressure is needed. All you're wanting to do is lightly scuff the surface to take off the top layer of coating. ** You know this is done when you start to see a milky residue to start to form. After you sand, the cover will have a very hazy look to it, this is normal. Wipe and clean very well. If you have a pair of medical gloves or can get some these work great for keeping the oil and crap from your fingers on the clean surface.

Get a clean cloth and and apply the paint thinner to the cloth and wipe the surface. let air dry when you are done.

now you're ready to tint.
    If possible wait till there is no wind.
    When you spray stay approximately 8 inches away and spray the outside edges first. Now when you start to spray the whole thing start spraying off the light and sweep across till you are spraying off the light again. Once you have the first coat on you only have to wait 5 minutes to start the next coat.
    2 Coats looks good but three coats is bad ass.

When you are done spraying, wait about 15 to 20 minutes and wet sand them again. This will take out any imperfections in the tint.

Now its time to clear coat. Use the same spraying methods as the tint. 3 to 4 coats of the clear coat will do just fine.Let stand for 10 minutes between each coat. The clear coat will help protect the tint from weather , scratches and dings.

Now take the rubbing compound and spread it all over the light. Now take a detailing sponge go to town. You need to rub as fast and hard as you can once you get it spread out. Doing this step is going to bring out the shine and gloss of the tint and clear coat. Wipe dry with a microfiber towel.

GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE YOU ENJOY THEM.

pre tint.jpg
    2nd coat.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    tint 3.jpg
    tint 2.jpg

2. Sep 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    JasonJump

JasonJump Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 D Cab Debadged
    Billy 5100's set at 2.5, iPhone innerface, TRD Sport wheels powdercoated Anthracite grey wrapped in 265/70/17 Duratracs, Custom Sliders
    Looks good! Suprized you can get away with tinting your headlights. They don't allow that here

3. Sep 22, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    saugus

saugus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Couldn't be legal in any state. Surprised if he can see through those.

4. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    FireTacMedic

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out windows, Black Tacoma Badges, 18x9 Vrock Recons, 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers
    The headlights only have two coats and light gets through just fine

5. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    FireTacMedic

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    I believe they have more to worry about than tinted headlights. haven't been pulled over yet and they see me all the time.

Products Discussed in

To Top