1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dnx 5140

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jayranger, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Aug 6, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    TacomaDoug

TacomaDoug His and Hers

Member:
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 (Pyrite Mica)(Silver Streak)
    Pyrite - Cut mud flaps, AVS deflector, WeatherTech floor liners. Silver Streak - Running boards for wife, AVS deflector, Kenwood DNX6140.
    $400? Where'd you get it?

2. Aug 6, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    TacomaDoug

TacomaDoug His and Hers

Member:
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 (Pyrite Mica)(Silver Streak)
    Pyrite - Cut mud flaps, AVS deflector, WeatherTech floor liners. Silver Streak - Running boards for wife, AVS deflector, Kenwood DNX6140.
    Do your steering wheel controls work with it? Did you have to buy some sort of adapter to avoid splicing? Thanks in advance for the info. I'm really interested in installing a unit like this in both trucks.

3. Aug 6, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    wmflyfisher

wmflyfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    Got it off ebay. I sent the guy a message about selling it for a set price instead of auction style thinking that it would be way out of my range. He sends me a message back stating that he added a "buy it now" price and it was $400 :eek: I jumped on it!!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Aug 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    wmflyfisher

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    Thanks Rob,

Do you know if I can set it to automatically go to GPS mode when I crank up the truck instead of having to push a button every time??

5. Aug 6, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Sorry, it's an unoverridable safety feature, even if you ground the reverse wire to watch DVD's while in motion, you have to agree to the screen that says, HEY MORON MAKE SURE YOU WATCH THE ROAD WHEN YOU DRIVE! Or something like that, and remember, these boot up slowly so be patient, it took me a while to get used to the delay. You'll love the deck, I got the DNX5120 but am very impressed with the bang for buck value!

Installing this is easy so don't be intimitated to do it yourself!

Rob

6. Aug 6, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    Fuzzyman81

Fuzzyman81 The New Guy

Member:
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD
    I have been looking at the 5120 myself so glad to hear how people like it.

7. Aug 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    REVHARD25

REVHARD25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    RUGGED TRAIL PACKAGE
    Tint on front windows. Dnx7120 kenwood. Rear tsb springs. Wet okoles seat covers UWS truck box Weathertech floor mats TSB floor mat hook grommets Satoshi grill AFE drop in filter Fumoto drain valve Bed mat
    [​IMG]
    i love kenwood products..works great

8. Aug 6, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    They will but you'll need to get the adapter for it. Do a search, there are many posts about finding the right pins to splice into, I know it's not a plug and play item and have caused some frustration for others. I have not done it, it's about $75 for the adapter and I just didn't see the value, but that just me...

Rob

9. Aug 6, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    wmflyfisher

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    Yeah, I have that stupid message on mine too but it goes off by itself after like 10 seconds. I plan to install it myself too. I always do my own work. Should be fun. Where did you put the GPS antenna?? Also, what about loading music onto a USB drive instead of the Ipod. Would it still work the same way??

10. Aug 6, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    Yes, the USB will work the same way. I believe the GPS has an "accept" button on the bottom right.

There are plastic vent ducts in the back, leave a little slack and put the metal base pad on top of the right vent tube and sandwich the antenna on top of the metal base pad, it will be squeezed in between your dash and vent tube. I get about 10 feet consistently, I actually tested it with the magnetic pad not stuck (paper not peeled from bottom) and it ended up falling behind my deck on the bottom but still had 15-18 feet reception, you really can't go wrong on a location. You'll really like this deck!

Rob

11. Aug 6, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    Fuzzyman81

Fuzzyman81 The New Guy

Member:
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD
    10-18 foot reception? Pardon the dumb huh.... but huh? So you didn't put the GPS antannae outside the truck?

12. Aug 6, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    These new antenna's are super receptive, I accidentally had the antenna fall behind my deck inside the dash and never lost reception. You are correct, the GPS antenna is mounted under the dash inside the dash and gets up an average of 9-10 feet of reception when properly placed. I guess it also depends on where you live, if there are many mountains in the way or what not but I've never had a problem out here in the Seattle area. I was very impressed when I found my antenna had fallen deep into the dash and still had reception, odd I know...

Actually in my Tundra I had placed the antenna on top of the middle of my dash, fished the cable through the windshield vent holes and was about to do the same thing in my Tacoma until I read that under the dash works and damn if I wasn't surprised when it did! I also believe it needs to be attached to the metal base pad as I'm sure it magnifies the reception somehow.

Rob

Products Discussed in

To Top