1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DNX5140 Help changing background

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by coppert, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Sep 5, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    coppert

coppert [OP] Mall Krawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    So I just picked up a Kenwood DNX5140 last night. I am still learning all of the features but noticed some of the other guys had setup a "custom" background. I read that section of the manual & it says that I should be able to click on the the User Interface screen then Change Memory or something else. I have found however that the only button that I can select is what looks like the eject button. I know that this option can not be performed if either the USB/DVD is selected as the source which they are not. Any suggestions on what I am missing or doing wrong. Thanks in advance. :confused::confused::confused:

2. Sep 5, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    I have a dnx6140 I had installed last week and I'm getting used to everything, but haven't looked this far for changing the background yet. Subscribed for the answer though......

How are you liking the 5140 so far? Loving the Garmin navi, its amazing!

3. Sep 5, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    coppert

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    I have to agree, I am really enjoying the little I have used it. The manual that I received for my 5140 is the same manual for the 6140 so I am sure the procedure to update the background should be the same. Good luck if you get to that point.

I am going for a drive tomorrow up to El Dorado National Forrest for some trails so I will get to put it to the test a little. It will be the only use other than to & from work so far. I'm enjoying the addition of the Kenwood blue-tooth setup as well, money well spent there. :D

4. Sep 5, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    Reznor88

Reznor88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner DC Off Road
    I don't remember exactly how I changed the background on my 5120 but I remember it being a pain in the ass.

This is off the top of my head so it may or may not help... When you hook up the USB I think you hit the memory button (next to the eject button) to pick what image you want to load onto the HU. On that same setup screen, I believe the options above custom image is something like choose background, hit the change button and I think you should have the option of the image you just loaded onto the HU from the USB or the default image.

You should post up some info on the El Dorado trails over in the NorCal or Offroad sections. I'd like to check that area out sometime but I haven't found any real info on it and don't want to drive a couple hours for nothing.

5. Sep 6, 2009 at 5:47 AM
    coppert

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis

I have connected both the USB & CD with pics on them and none of the buttons you are talking about are "clickable" they are grayed out or something like it is locked??? That is where I get stuck.

Regarding the trails, I was introduced to that area by a buddy that goes up there to get his own fire-wood. We go up 50 take the Sly Park Exit the hook up with Morman Immigrant & then there is small road a few miles up on the right called Snow Camp Road, that will eventually get you over to highway 88. But you can drive on those old logging roads for hours and never run into anyone. It is a good time, you should check it out some time. :cool:

6. Sep 6, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Here is an answer from Crutchfield:

Viewing picture files is very much like viewing video. The parking brake needs to be engaged for that to happen. If it isn't then the option will be grayed out.

To change the background, you need to be in the setup menu. In the manual, page 60 will show you how to access the menu and page 70 tells you how to change the background image.

And here is another how to I found:

1. Get the "convert" file from Kenwood

2. Put the convert file (it should have no extension) and your image file (it cannot have any spaces in the name) in the root directory of a USB drive

3. Connect the USB Thumb drive containing image file and convert program.

4. Enter setup mode by pressing and holding the FNC & EJECT keys, then press RESET Key.

5. Release reset key, and hold FNC & EJECT Key until illumination activates.

6. Press OEM Image.

7. Select the image file you want as your splash screen; after it loads and is displayed, hit "OK"

8. Cycle the unit and your new image should be displayed instead of the default Kenwood image!

Your image should be 480x240 to prevent distortion.

7. Oct 22, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    RDAY

RDAY Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    what usb are u guys hooking into the mini on the back of the head unit? thas the only one i see on mine.

8. Dec 10, 2009 at 11:08 PM
    Ocean's

Ocean's Well-Known Member

Member:
    I saw the TRD graphic on someones screen but i can't find it...lol

i think someon created it and it really looked professional. I'd like to acquire it...:D

Products Discussed in

To Top