1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I have leaf sag?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Crosis, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Dec 2, 2016 at 2:38 PM
    Crosis

Crosis [OP] Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Because for many of us that grew up with old school Yota 4WDs flat springs are NOT the norm. They were like rocking chair feet in the 70s. :smack:

2. Dec 2, 2016 at 2:41 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    Sumosprings help a lot

3. Dec 2, 2016 at 3:24 PM
    calico

calico Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited
    Viper Alarm and Remote Start Prestigious Society mod Camera display relocated to headunit Weathertec floor mats, window deflectors, and mud flaps Toyota Bed mat Tailgate lock Undercover SE tonneau and Swing Cases (driver and passenger) Hi-lift install Fumoto Qwik Valve ImMrYo Mirror mod Salex console organizer
    I don't recall what exactly I was looking for but, when looking, happened to notice "inverted" leafs - what others are referring to as negative arc. I thought something was wrong and when I took my truck in for its next service, asked about what I thought was a problem. They had it on a lift and the service manager took me out to look and mentioned that that is how they're manufactured. Sure as sh**, one mounting point was higher than the other, giving it the inverted fit.

To this day, I still don't understand what the reason is behind it. I don't recall ever seeing this configuration on any vehicle I've owned. For the time being I'm going to run it until they need to be replaced and then I'll change them out.

4. Dec 2, 2016 at 4:43 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    As mentioned... Rust

5. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:59 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Stock Tacoma springs are crap , old crap , new crap , TSB crap , whatever , all crap

Justinlhc, Tom Servo and Pigpen like this.
  6. Dec 2, 2016 at 6:57 PM
    michael roberts

michael roberts Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07,4x4, white, AC.
    powder coated hood support.
    What's not to understand? It's called cutting corners, whether it's cheep steel, poorly tempering the steel, putting SUV grade leafs on a truck or all of the above, it's that way with many components. As for the Service Mg. telling you "that's how they're manufactured" as if it's right, that was just a song and dance to get you to move along.

7. Dec 2, 2016 at 7:15 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    I could go get new recall leafs put on my 128k truck to replace the sad band-aid Frankenstein progressive leaf pack I've concocted, but I don't think I'd be any better off. :annoyed:

8. Dec 2, 2016 at 8:20 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    My 1980 was also flat from the factory when new.

9. Dec 3, 2016 at 1:12 PM
    calico

calico Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited
    Viper Alarm and Remote Start Prestigious Society mod Camera display relocated to headunit Weathertec floor mats, window deflectors, and mud flaps Toyota Bed mat Tailgate lock Undercover SE tonneau and Swing Cases (driver and passenger) Hi-lift install Fumoto Qwik Valve ImMrYo Mirror mod Salex console organizer
    It being right or wrong is irrelevant. I saw with my own eyes that that IS how it's manufactured. Now, WHY it is manufactured that way is as a result of cutting corners - I don't know.

Jimmyh likes this.
  10. Dec 29, 2016 at 4:41 PM
    charcharias

charcharias Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Well, I'm glad I searched before either posting anything or buying anything. I had a squeak in my right rear and I noticed the flatness/inversion when I took off the wheel to investigate. I was worried that with my Leer topper and the drawer system I built that I had too much weight on there. I still might buy something like sumosprings or bumper stops since I noticed, also today, that when towing my pop up she leans pretty froggy.

DSC_0224.jpg
    DSC_0228.jpg
    DSC_0225.jpg

11. Dec 29, 2016 at 4:49 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    Wouldn't a flat or 'inverted' leaf spring theoretically give you more droop?

Also, FWIW, I replaced my stock leafs with a set of Dakars.

12. Dec 29, 2016 at 4:52 PM
    charcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    How do you like the Dakars for towing? Do you also have upsized bumper stops?

13. Dec 29, 2016 at 4:56 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    I have stock bumpstops but will probably replace next year. The Dakars are great towing (I tow a 5,000 travel trailer). I removed the 3rd leaf because I wasn't looking for a big lift. They handle better than the stock springs when unloaded both on and off road and its a huge improvement when towing. I have a shell and just under 100lbs of gear in the back of my truck most of the time.

14. Dec 29, 2016 at 5:06 PM
    charcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Cool, cool. I only tow an aframe camper(Chalet Alpine) that weighs about 1800lbs so I'm not hugely concerned, just want to make sure the entire system is well aligned.

15. Dec 29, 2016 at 5:10 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    If you go with Dakars you'll want to do something up front to level it and you'll need different rear shocks. I went with Fox 2.5 coilovers up front and 2.0 RR in the rear...details are in my build thread.

charcharias likes this.
  16. Dec 29, 2016 at 5:15 PM
    charcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Understood. To be honest, I don't want any kind of lift since I figured it'd adversely affect towing. I'm just trying to make things work as best as possible at stock height.

Products Discussed in

To Top