1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I have Security?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rooster_20, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Aug 12, 2008 at 3:10 PM
    rooster_20

rooster_20 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harlan, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Regular Cab SR5
    Revtek 3'' Lift,
    Does every Tacoma come with a security system I read in the owners manual about it but the blinky light doesn't come on in the console when I lock the doors.

2. Aug 12, 2008 at 3:51 PM
    Robbie

Robbie Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4 x 4
    Bed mat, seat cover.
    Can't speak about your truck, but my 08 regular cab 4 x 4 has no security. I didn't ask for it, and didn't get it. Hope this helps in some way.

3. Aug 12, 2008 at 4:12 PM
    Tail Gunner

Tail Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kitsap, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Aries black Bull Bar, K&N 63-series Air Intake, HID 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Redline Hood Struts, Kenwood DPX-502 headunit, JDM black headlights, black Altezza tailights, Bracketronic I-pod mount, and several more audio mods to come Debadged
    What you are refering to has to do with the electronic key system that every newer taco has. Even if you have a key cut like mine you can not start my truck you can only unlock the doors and take whats inside (called a valet key). The key has to be programmed for your truck for it to start it, that why the master keys are so fat at the head and if you look real close at the metal part up next to the black rubber you can see a very small dot, that is the contact point for the key and those keys aint cheap about 100.00 from the dealer (key+cut fee+program fee).

4. Aug 12, 2008 at 4:55 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    If you mean the engine immobilizer, not all trucks have them. Base model reg cabs don't have the option for one.

And there is no contact point on the key. The immobilizer system is based on RF. Which is why remote start systems can stash a key in a box under the dash somewhere to allow them to start the truck. As long as the key is within range of the sensor in the truck any key cut to match will start the truck.

Oh, and the immobilizer is a blinking car shaped red light near the clock/stereo.

5. Aug 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM
    rooster_20

rooster_20 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harlan, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Regular Cab SR5
    Revtek 3'' Lift,
    well I see where the light is supposed to be (outlined car with key in it) My key is pretty big and my truck is SR5 I dont know I might call the toyota dealer or somthin.

6. Aug 12, 2008 at 5:37 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Just look in your truck once it gets dark to see if the light flashes. It has nothing to do with the doors locking or unlocking. It turns on once the engine is turned off, key removed, and moved far enough away.

Although I doubt you have it. Option B is the only thing I see you can add to a reg cab, and that includes only the following:

No mention of security or engine immobilizer. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top