1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I HAVE to call it a TACO? Not calling my first new car a mexican treat/Corvette insult..

Discussion in 'New Members' started by evilcorvette, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Aug 28, 2015 at 8:17 PM
    evilcorvette

evilcorvette [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    oderus urungus
    Syracuse NY
    Lets skip all the formalities and jump right in. Im 42 years old, career military and just bought my first new car, a 2015 quad cab Tacoma in Pyrite Mica. I take delivery on Tuesday. Ive begun my research into the general demeanor of these trucks and cant help but notice all the TACO references.... Cmon! isnt there a better pet name for this car? Why do I want to call it a tasty mexican treat? The other irony is Im also a gearhead. I own a restomod Corvette (built, tuned and tested by ME) with a 468...its an amazing car, but a Frankenvette nontheless. In the Corvette community, TACO means "Typical A$$hole Corvette Owner"...(Guys who shun other sports cars and turn their nose on guys who use other than genuine Corvette parts) ..

Anyways, I digress. Hello, Hola, Aloha, salam alaikum, greeting from upstate NY.

I offer all the old timers here a beer and any old school muscle car, V8 small block advice I have (and endless Army stories) in exchange for a few bis of info for my new...Tac...Taco...Damint I cant call it a Taco.....my new Tacoma....

Without further adieu, I want a brush guard and nerf bars ASAFP. All the major suppliers list 2014 and below, but scant info for the 2015. Are there any body/frame differences between the 14-15 that will effect nerf bar or brush guard fit? -Scott

Soul Surfer likes this.
  2. Aug 28, 2015 at 8:24 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Thank you for your service! :oldglory:

Congratulations on retirement and your new TRUCK! :woot:

You may call it anything you like, except "car." ;)

Welcome to TW! :wave:

Soul Surfer likes this.
  3. Aug 28, 2015 at 8:36 PM
    evilcorvette

Member:
    First Name:
    oderus urungus
    Syracuse NY
    I offer my humble apology for calling this mighty machine a 'Car'. 8*(
    No retirement yet, thats still 7 years away. ( I had several breaks in service)

4. Aug 28, 2015 at 8:38 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    FWIW I'm also on the anti calling it a Taco train

Welcome to TW

MQQSE and Tsinajinii like this.
  5. Aug 28, 2015 at 8:40 PM
    kodiakisland

kodiakisland Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 AC 4x4 2.7L 5MT
    5100s/1.6in eibachs, wheelers AAL, OME N182 rear shocks, 4.56s, Detroit truetrac, 255/75/17, SOSConcepts sliders
    Thanks for you service
    but
    does anyone else see the humor in being excited about getting a brushguard and nerf bars but don't want to call it a taco?

BrightTribe likes this.
  6. Aug 28, 2015 at 8:41 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

nope, sure dont

T4RFTMFW likes this.
  7. Aug 28, 2015 at 8:42 PM
    evilcorvette

Member:
    First Name:
    oderus urungus
    Syracuse NY
    It was a toss up between a Colorado or the Tacoma. The Chevy dealer didnt have ANY in stock, couldnt tell me when any were due in and generally had no clue as to how to deal with their absence of inventory. I drove down the street and found a Toyota dealership. The salesman (after hearing my choices) just started bashing every other make. I told him "listen guy, you arent going to sell me a car by badmouthing everything else.....tell me what you can offer that the competition cant".....His two word, simple, deal breaker was......"resale value"........

MadDaddy likes this.
  8. Aug 28, 2015 at 8:43 PM
    theboy12

theboy12 The Answer is 42, But What is the Question?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    King 2.5 Remote Resi'sand rear 2.0s, Dakar Pack, TRD 1st Gen air intake, Stealth 6's wraped in DynaPro ATms 285/70R17s, SnugTop, ALL Pro Front bumper, Brute Fab HC Rear Bumper, Hella Black Magic Lights, Bedslide 1000
    And here I thought it meant Tame Ass Cosmopolitan Off-roader.

Welcome to your new addiction! And the forum too.

T4RFTMFW likes this.
  9. Aug 28, 2015 at 8:45 PM
    evilcorvette

Member:
    First Name:
    oderus urungus
    Syracuse NY
    Uh.....do those parts make me a TACO in the TACO world? I mean, I dont want to start off as a fan boy poser....but the Nerf bars are to knock the snow off my boots ( I live in Syracuse man!) and the brush guards are for....uh.....well....Ok, they just look badass and I want them for that sole reason. Cant I be a cool kid, just ONCE??!!

MQQSE, Vincepad and JimBeam like this.
  10. Aug 28, 2015 at 8:49 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

As with every other vehicle enthusiast forum, there are elitist members who think that nerf bars and brush guards are a waste of money and you should buy only true offroad stuff, even if you don't offroad

realistically, buy what suits your needs and it sounds like you have a pretty good idea

There are arguments that sliders would allow you to knock snow/mud off same as nerf bars and, if installed properly, assist in protecting against door dings and that brushguards will cause more damage in small front end collisions than if you didn't have it, but again...realistically...the heavy duty stuff also adds quite a bit more weight than nerf bars etc and may ultimately lower your MPG

T4RFTMFW likes this.
  11. Aug 28, 2015 at 9:03 PM
    evilcorvette

Member:
    First Name:
    oderus urungus
    Syracuse NY
    Sliders? Im not familiar with the term....please explain.

Not much offroading here other than maybe the 3, 4x a year when I hit some serious back roads and dirt paths at camp sites and hunting grounds. Its not as much about vertical traction as it is crater sized potholes, washouts, ruts and light mud. But Im not afraid to get it dirty or use it like it was intended. My old daily driver was a 08 Ford Escape. The car is FULL of Yellow lab hair, rust from junk yard parts (for various project cars) and the small scratches and scars of my occasional exploration of the local empty wooden lots and overgrown service roads of various hiking/parks.

12. Aug 28, 2015 at 9:04 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

Sliders, or Rock Sliders, are fabricated steel tube that are bolted or welded to the frame up close to the body of the truck. they're designed to protect the rocker panel area from landing on rocks and such

[​IMG]

13. Aug 28, 2015 at 9:23 PM
    evilcorvette

Member:
    First Name:
    oderus urungus
    Syracuse NY
    Looks like a nerf bar with no foot steps. It also looks like a slippery mess when covered in snow....but I think the nerf bars sit a little lower and may be better suited for what I want. Guess Ive learned my first set of 'truck' terms tonight. (My duty vehicle is a 30,000 LB M1117 ASV....Im not some suburban A-hole, but as I stated earlier, Im a gear head, not a truck enthusiast.)
    ( I only added that last part to sound tough because Im afraid of getting judged the hardcore offroaders here)

(you can tell I dont take internet opinions real seriously........)

Are the cheap brush guards really junk? (Rust, bend, poor fit) Im really looking at them as an 'accessory' and not mission essential....but I dont want something thats going to crumple or ruin the finish of my new car.....er, truck. (Sorry. Old habits. ) Can I get away with Generic 'Summit' parts for a daily use car? I just blew my (cash) wad on this car, I cant spend 500 bucks on a brush guard.

JimBeam likes this.
  14. Aug 28, 2015 at 9:26 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

Like I said, the parts you want may suit you better than those of hardcore offroaders

I have little to no experience with brush guards personally, but keep an eye on the BST section of the site and you may find a deal on a solid bumper or brushguard

15. Aug 28, 2015 at 11:05 PM
    andlours

andlours Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad
    20150815_194713_zpsm8cpib6x_a1a545fa39c5109937e295ce01faf41734aba180.jpg

I'd advise against getting brush guard. They don't really offer too much benefit, and like stated earlier they can actually make front end damage in collisions worse. Rock sliders are great for protecting the vehicle, and if you're worried about them being slick you can always throw a bit of grip tape on there (you can kinda see it on my truck in the picture). I'd recommend going with a full bumper up front if you want the look and added protection. Most bumpers also offer locations for auxiliary lighting as well as a place to mount a winch.

16. Aug 28, 2015 at 11:06 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Sorry for the retirement assumption.

I'd get the nerf bars as they will serve a functional purpose for you and Winter is coming. As far as the brush guard, I'd take Bronze's (@tigerfan00 ) advice and watch the BST here, as well as Craigslist. I think a lotta folks buy brushguards until they can afford the offroad custom bumper they really want, which could work to your advantage.

My truck is pretty close to stock, my mods are really functional accessories: back rack w/ Light Forces to spot moose, toolbox, tow mirrors, redline hood struts (which I highly recommend), and the like.

Again welcome to TW, lotta good people on here.

JimBeam likes this.
  17. Aug 29, 2015 at 7:47 AM
    evilcorvette

Member:
    First Name:
    oderus urungus
    Syracuse NY
    I LIKE that..

SO now all I can do is wait. Theres some shenanigans going on at the dealership, they keep stretching out my delivery date. Im hoping to have the truck by Tuesday. Ill post pics. I opted for the Pyrite Mica color as its nothing like Ive ever seen before) Wish me luck.

18. Aug 29, 2015 at 9:06 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    Congrats on the new truck. Call it a Yota. Around where I live you rarely hear these trucks called anything else.

Pabloeeto likes this.
  19. Aug 29, 2015 at 9:09 AM
    PacoTheBlancoTaco

PacoTheBlancoTaco IYAOYAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    DeLand, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    Flux Capacitor
    Im fine with Taco! Wife named it Paco. Plot twist, turns out he was made in California. Anchor baby.

20. Aug 29, 2015 at 9:15 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    You both are taco loco.

Hola amigo :wave:

And hi Jeff.

Products Discussed in

To Top