1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I need a roof rack, OEM?

Discussion in 'North East' started by msp2640, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Nov 16, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    msp2640

msp2640 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Plymouth MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    I'm thinking that it may be useful, but wanted to hear from folks that have a factory roof rack and use them. My '18 DCSB doesn't have one and not sure they're really that functional or it's just nice to have. The 2 kayaks I have, would be too heavy for the roof and they'll fit in the bed with the tailgate dropped anyway. The one canoe here is definitely too heavy. It's my daily driver and I don't really go off road, so there's no pressing need for those purposes. I have concerns with wind noise while driving and possible roof leaks from installation, but I've seen videos of the install, so it's a no drill install. I definitely don't have a need for a higher end roof rack or rails, so I'm only thinking in terms the factory model. Can anyone share some insight on this, as I'd appreciate opinions pro or con - Thanks Bill

2. Nov 16, 2018 at 10:46 AM
    surfandturf

surfandturf Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD DCLB
    Oem has worked on everything I've put up there...also no noise when the bars are stowed. You can find them new for ~$200

3. Nov 16, 2018 at 10:48 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    The OEM roof racks are ugly. They look like slicked back hair.

You want a metal roof rack if you need one. Plastics ones can’t handle much weight.

I don’t like roof racks because I don’t like putting things on my roof because you typically ding up your paint job.

I personally don’t think you need to look for an excuse to get one.

4. Nov 16, 2018 at 10:50 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    ChadsPride likes this.
  5. Nov 16, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    MadRiverTaco

MadRiverTaco Join TW, they said. It's free, they said.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black DCSB TRD OR "Caroline"
    King 2.5 Ext. w/ Compression Adjusters (Front & Rear), Dakars w/ D29XL, TC UCA's & LCA's, ARE CX, 17" SEMA Pro's, 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, BORA spacers, Rigid Side shooter ditch lights, ATHF bedside reinforcements, OME carrier bearing drop bracket, extended rear brake lines, Northstar 27F battery, Yakima Jetsream crossbars, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, TRD Pro grill, URD TCAI, 5.7L Throttle Body, BensonX bedside tool mounts, fire extinguisher bedside mount, AMP research bed step, Redline Tuning hood struts, ECGS needle bearing mod, CV Boot slide mod, Differential breather mod, U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Timbren Bumpstops, A-pillar RAM mount w/ cell phone holder, ProFX tow mirrors with turn signals and heat, "Raptor" lights, DEPO taillights, motorized Pop n' Lock
    There's nothing wrong with installing the roof racks and using them only when you need them. They don't take away from the aesthetics IMO, and they don't add any extra road noise when they're not in the crossbar position. But the safe load capacity is only 100 lbs.

I won't talk about the Prinsu rack because your post implies OEM rack or bust, but those give you the most bang for your buck. Especially with a camper shell.

6. Nov 16, 2018 at 11:26 AM
    msp2640

Member:
    Plymouth MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Thanks for the replies, I do recognize that the OEM ones are light duty. Just wondering if they're functional, within their design limits. As I'm still learning, relative to the Tacoma, there are many aftermarket companies offering well designed and rugged accessories, most of which I don't need, but it's great to know they're available. I fully understand, you get what you pay for and cry once buy once, philosophies and how they apply to Tacoma products. Using my new truck, in similar fashion to my previous trucks, I'm not sure if I need them. I ask, because if some folks have them and use them for applications that I haven't thought about, then I may decide to go forward. If they're just something that's useless and gets in the way of clearing snow from the roof, that helps too! Thanks again Bill

Matt - Thanks again! I was happy we crossed paths a few weeks ago, when I was driving on the salted roads this morning!

7. Nov 16, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    cvisinho

cvisinho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport DCSB new frame edition
    Bilstein 5100's, Eibach springs, Cali Raised Amber fogs,Cali Raised side projecting ditch lights, 17" gunmetal trd pro reps w/ falken wildpeaks, MESO interior lighting, Alpine ilx Android auto head unit, rear view camera, blue sea fuse panel, mbrp cat back, Morimoto retros in Depos, Ranch cap, triple black clazzios, DIY thin lip satoshi with FJ letters, oem roof rack, AJT climate knobs, slim sub behind rear seat, fosgate speakers all around, thule cap rack
    My oem rack handles 2 kayaks or 1 SUP without issue for reference.

8. Nov 16, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    msp2640

Member:
    Plymouth MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    My son and I have 11 foot, sit on, fishing kayaks and they weigh about 80 lbs a piece, so they'll be hauled around in the bed only, long tailgate overhang, but doable, as we don't travel far. Thanks for the heads up though. Bill

9. Nov 16, 2018 at 11:45 AM
    surfandturf

surfandturf Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD DCLB
    Glad you are protected.

I get that the prinsu style racks may hold more weight but I personally wouldn't put 500lbs on my roof. All that weight still gets translated down to the mounting locations. I would keep light bulky things on the roof rack and heavier stuff in the bed...keeping lower center of gravity. I see little to no mpg loss with the oem too.

It's your money...spend how you want!

vssman likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top