1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I need a weight distribution hitch

Discussion in 'Towing' started by grivera, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    grivera

grivera [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    I posted this in in other on-going threads but it's gotten lost in the shuffle.

I plan to tow a Jeep Wrangler, weighing about 3200 lbs, a distance of 125 miles. I have a choice of a car dolly or a auto transport. What concerns me with the transport, which weighs 2200 lbs, is my lack of a weight distribution hitch? Will I be OK for one time use or should I use the dolly? I intend to remove the drive shaft if I rent the dolly.

My truck is a DC V-6 automatic with the factory tow package.

2. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you're ok with removing the drive shaft, I'd just use the tow dolly. It's a lot lighter and will be easier on your Tacoma. Otherwise, I'm assuming you're renting the auto transport flatbed in which case you wouldn't be able to just throw on a weight distribution set-up. You'd most likely be fine without a w/d set-up using the Uhaul, just be mindful of where the jeep is placed on the flatbed and you may have to stop and make some adjustments to find that sweet spot.

3. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    grivera

grivera [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    Many thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top