1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I replace bed side panels or the whole bed?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by patbea, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Nov 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    patbea

patbea [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Base SR5
    Hi all,
    New to the site so hopefully I am posting in the correct location? If not someone let me know. Thanks.

Problem: I kind of wrecked my 2008 Tacoma bed sidewalls (both sides). Can I get some opinions on what is the correct course of action (they need to be fixed). The rest of the bed is good, just the sidewall got damaged.

1- Can I just change out the side panels? If I go this way it appears that sidewall parts are available online. Do the panels just bolt on or are they welded? I do not have welding experience or a welder so if this is needed I may have to replace the whole bed. Seems this is the less expensive option and I am on a tight budget.

2- Complete bed replacement. Again it appears parts are available but the cost is 2X the panel replacement.
    What are the steps to remove the bed?
    Anyone know the weight of the bed?
    Will I need some type of lift tool?
    Any one have manuals/tutorials on this they can send me?

Thanks. PJ

2. Nov 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    you can remove/add bedside without a welder/torch. they use bolts. to get them off, pry off the rail caps and remove bed rail system. this will loosen top part. remove tail lights and bolts, and then look under truck for additional bolts to remove that holds the bed sides to a bracket to the composite bed. look around the tailgate for bolts that would loosen the metal from the bed as well. I've never done this, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

ive seen a guy remove the entire bed my unbolting the 4 bolts in the composite bed to get to the fuel tank. but like you said, if your actual composite part is fine, i would just remove the sides.

3. Nov 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    patbea

patbea [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Base SR5
    Thank Taco Dan,
    Glad to here they only bolt on. Thats the way I will go.

Anybody know of a aftermarket maker of Tacoma body parts like JC Whittney? Only ones I can find are for the forward quarter panels? They are significantly less than Toyota dealers and cheaper than some wrecking yards?

Thanks.

4. Nov 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    TeamLombardo

TeamLombardo WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4
    OME 886x, OME Trim Packer, OME Shocks, Dakars, Toytec Shims, LR UCAs, CB Drop, Demello Sliders, Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Warn VR8000-s, RI 20" LED, RI Duallys, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Liners, SS Brake Lines Front/Back, BHLM, Anytime Fogs, CV Boot Mod, 20% Tint, Stubby Antenna, Salex Console Organizer, Derped Grill/Badges
  5. Jan 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    marcballz

marcballz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Mcallen,Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Electrical: 24/7 aux pwr, cabin ac outlet, fog light on, 55 watt hids (5k), engine bay lights, dash color swap, led cab/footwell lights, Exterior: air compressor w/ dual tank & dual horns, toolbox, headache rack Audio: pioneer head unity 12" jbl sub , (4) db drive 6x9, 360 db amp, 600 dual amp
    hey pat did you find a aftermarket link for this?

6. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
    Let's see some pics of both sides in order to determine how "damaged" they are

7. Jan 26, 2014 at 7:19 PM
    k2pow

k2pow Active Member

Member:
    Valley Village CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Silver 4x4 LB DC, SR5, deb
    Snug Top, Tint, American Racing Mojave Rims with BFG AT's, Icon Coilovers, Camburg UCA's, Wheelers rear springs, Icon Rear shocks with res, front diff spacer.
    Long time no post... Curious what people are doing for the rear beds now a days. I have damage to my right rear quarter and rear bumper are gone. I've bounced back and forth of maybe getting the whole bedside from glassworks or comparable and then a custom rear bumper, but feel the front will need the same make over to match which just blows the budget.

Anyone out there that has taken off stock stuff and willing to part so I can make my poor taco decent to look at?

8. Jan 26, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    mackietaco

mackietaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MACKIE
    Palm Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB
    Pioneer AVIC X850BT, Avital Auto Security System 3100L with keyless entry, Rear Camera,Locking Gas cap, Garage door opener mounted in sunglasses compartment, Ipod Touch 64 GB mounted in glove box
    I bet this dude already got rid of the taco

9. Sep 23, 2016 at 10:42 PM
    chavez89

chavez89 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chavez
    Vehicle:
    sr5 2016
    i have damage the bed of my 2016 sr5 acces cab. im looking for one complete, somebody have one?
    i will appreciate it

10. Aug 18, 2018 at 8:58 AM
    DanGboss

DanGboss New Member

Member:
    I have a 2007 taco prerunner long bed and need the passenger side quarter panel if anyone can help me with that

11. Aug 18, 2018 at 10:02 AM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    NWTaco05, REDdawn6 and CMD-KY like this.
  12. Aug 18, 2018 at 1:50 PM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    Change the side panels only

13. Nov 28, 2019 at 12:22 AM
    Tacoma Freak

Tacoma Freak New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    2019 Pioneer DVD player, interior LED lights, Tacoma letters for tailgate.
    I got a 2009 Tacoma and my driver side bed panel has some bad dents in it and have been trying to use a dent puller to get some of them out cause the dent guys cost like $800 to repair it and I am thinking if u keep working on it I can get some of them out with a pull bar and a hot glue gun.

14. Nov 28, 2019 at 6:10 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    The guy posted that 5 years ago. I think he’s probably resolved it by now.

Products Discussed in

To Top