1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you have issues balancing your SCS wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Gnfanatic, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Jul 5, 2020 at 11:16 AM
    Gnfanatic

Gnfanatic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys, I was told to come here for possible help. I have a 2020 4runner which had 285/70/17 Faulken Wildpeaks installed on the factory wheels for about a month while waiting for my SCS Ray 10's to come in. During that time I had no issues with balancing or shakes with my factory wheels and the faulkens, it rode smooth. The SCS Ray 10's wheels came in (gorgeous looking) and I got them mounted at the same place. The yellow dots on the tires were mounted at the valve stem of every wheel. Once mounted I realized I had a bad shimmy starting at around 50mph and up, my pass side seat would shake and my steering wheel as well. I bring it back to the shop and they check the balance and the Coates machine say everything is fine. So they take all the weights off and put balancing bead's in (6 oz and then another 3.5oz), it helped a little but not much. I bring the 4runner to a shop that has a roadforce balancer and he says the tires are fine and to add more beads??( I already have 9.5oz of beads in them) So I do not know what to do here, I did not contact SCS yet about this issue. I tried switching the wheels around to pinpoint which one it is but no good. I double checked my front suspension and made sure everything was tight. Have you guys had this issue??? Is it possible I got some bad wheels?? I have spent countless hours and well over $140 so far trying to balance these wheels :(

2. Jul 7, 2020 at 5:16 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    No red dot?

Are they using a fitted collet in the hub bore and pin plates to secure the wheel?
    SCS wheels are lug centric(tapered lugs), despite having a 106.1 mm hub bore; or, you could consider them 50% lugcentric/50% hubcentric.
    I suspect the way your tires and wheels are mounted on the machine are different from how they are mounted on the truck.
    They are mounting it in the machine for 100% hubcentric using a cone and clamping hood.

Another possibility is, the bead area was damaged when dismounting/remounting the tire.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  3. Jul 8, 2020 at 11:52 AM
    Gnfanatic

Member:
    Splitbolt, the 3 tire shops I have been to all have the cone and clamp it down. None of them has anything else.

4. Oct 2, 2020 at 2:18 PM
    dstrobel

dstrobel Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2012 White TRD Sport
    Bilstein 6112 and 5160, Dakar, SCS Stealth 6.
    Gnfanatic, did you ever solve this problem? I just had Falcon WP installed on my Stealth 6 wheels and 3 seemed to come out ok but the 4th has 7.75oz of weight and vibrates above 30mph. I had mine done at Discount Tire and they ordered a replacement to try but I'm starting to become skeptical this is going to work out.

The first time I had tires installed on the SCS wheels I asked them to use the finger plate and they said they couldn't because of the shape of the wheel so I didn't bother asking this time.

5. Oct 2, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    Gnfanatic

Member:
    Hi Dan , yes I did. It was the damn Faulken's! They would not balance! I swapped them in for Toyo ATIII's and the truck is awesome, smooth as a babies ass! I also swapped out the cv axle needle bearing , at 90 MPH the truck is butter smooth. I will never buy Faulkens again!!

6. Oct 2, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    dstrobel

dstrobel Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2012 White TRD Sport
    Thanks, I was afraid that was going to be your answer. I have another appt tomorrow to have the one tire replaced and see what happens. They tried telling me the rim was out of round and even had me put my finger on the edge while they spun it. I couldn't feel anything. Winter is coming and from the website it looks like all the AT's are selling out so this should be fun. I've been fighting vibrations for months and I'm hoping new tires will be the last thing I need. I appreciate the answer.

7. Oct 2, 2020 at 6:58 PM
    Gnfanatic

Member:
    Good Luck. If I was you I would demand them to take them back and upgrade to Toyo's. Cost me an additional $120 and my sanity. It is NOT the rims.

8. Oct 2, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

i understand the science & the supposed to be .............

some wheel & tyre combinations are Not ' round '

when on the road the there are a few components that are clearanced

wheel bearings / bushings can account for ' shimmy '

no less the actual discs arent balanced on a machine

the tyre crowns / grows from centrifugal forces especially with those big lugged tyres

more rubber away from the carcass/plys results in less control

9. Oct 2, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    I have had either, too much to drink or not enough.

10. Nov 1, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    dstrobel

dstrobel Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2012 White TRD Sport
    Just a follow up in case this helps someone else. The wheel was perfectly fine. I had Discount Tire replace the tire causing trouble and also re-balance the other one on the same side. Seems pretty smooth now. The wheel that had 7.75oz with the bad tire now has a total of 0.75oz and the other one they re-balanced they ended up taking 0.75oz off of. I'm still astonished with how bad the vibration was from a supposedly "balanced" tire. They can computerize the balancing as much as they want but the gorilla running the machine still has to do his part.

On the new tire I told them to line up the yellow dot with the valve stem and the guy didn't want to but he did anyway. Probably why it balanced with such little weight. I'm going to have them do that on the rest for the next balance. Now that I look back I wish I would have gone with the Toyo's.

11. Nov 2, 2020 at 5:03 PM
    No Shoes Nation

No Shoes Nation Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Taco SR5 Access Cab 4.0 4x4
    Hmm . . . none as yet, that's why i'm here . . .
    This . . . I just put Kumho Roadventure AT51 on 4runner SR5 wheels on my 2008 Taco.
    Doesn't matter what tires you have its in the way the wheel is balanced. Apparently Toyota wheels are the bitch of the world to do, and not just truck/SUV wheels. The car wheels also fit this category.
    Must find a shop with the right equipment to do the right job. A competent mechanic who knows how to do this is a MUST.

Products Discussed in

To Top