1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do You Wave At Other Tacoma Drivers?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PhishPhryer, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Jan 31, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    PhishPhryer

PhishPhryer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Lewisberry
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma SR5
    Especially modded taco's? When I was driving a Volkswagen this was very common in the VW community. Just a simple two finger flash above the steering wheel with your driving hand. A brotherhood of sorts. I've caught myself doing this a couple of times in my truck and the other drivers aren't sure what to think. Anyone else do this? If not lets get it going TW.

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    COMAtose HI

COMAtose HI Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD SPORT 4x4
    6" Procomp Stage 1 Suspension Lift, Custom 6" Alcan Springs, N-Fab Side Steps, Husky Floor Liners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Debadged, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, 13" Antenna from AntennaX.com, 35% Tint for front windows, Procomp 7032 Series 18x9 wheels, 33x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler tires
    i live in a town with a population of about 5-6 thousand people. one morning as i was driving home from work...i had two seperate second generation tacoma owners wave at me within a 1 mile stretch. I didnt think so much of the first person who waved, but after the second person waved...i was amazed. its funny you started this thread because just a few hours ago i saw another tacoma a stop sign in town and he waved at me as well...ive owned a lot of different cars and this is the only car where i have seen people do this. its amazing!!!

3. Jan 31, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    In some cars its more common than others. I saw this in the SAAB community, as well as the Volvo community when riding with my buddy. I've waved at a few folk's in my 2gen but have yet to see anyone return the wave. I'm sure it'll happen. It's a nice feeling to connect with strangers over something common.

4. Jan 31, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    well VW's are crap so lets not relate to them.

i will wave to a offroad-prepped tacoma. regular lifted one? nah its just a bro.

5. Jan 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I do, and I usually get the "who the fuck are you" look. Alot of times I catch other Taco owners starin' my truck down, n I wave, n they continue to stare. I'll keep waving, and, soon, someone is bound to wave back.

6. Jan 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    Superx2

Superx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa
    i do. but i also wave at a lot of people. i went to des moines last weekend (all interstate 120 miles) and waved at all the other tacomas i passed or that went by me. friendly gesture!

7. Jan 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
  8. Jan 31, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    When I had my 2010 Golf it didn't really happen. It seemed to happen more when it came to the older generations of VW.
    When it comes to Tacoma's, I usually only wave at them if they wave at me. When I first got my truck I waved and people and they looked at me weird, so I stopped. I had left the dealership just shortly after I bought my truck and someone waved at me, I was so surprised. So surprised that I thought the fingered me, but I waved just in case in wasn't a finger(It was a wave). I live in a population over a million people, lots of tacos. I am going to try to start waving again if I remember no matter the reaction I get.

I wanna put a sign on the front of my taco that says, "If you drive a Tacoma, wave!".

9. Jan 31, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    PreRunner03

PreRunner03 Hail State

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner Double Cab TRD
    I wave to just about everybody on the road. About 1/5th wave back.

10. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
    I too wave at other fellow Tacoma owners, maybe 2 out of 4 people give the wave or the nod. Most of the time they look at me like I'm crazy, or there too cool or something to wave. Now when i used to drive my old 2nd gen 85' pickup that was a different story. (still have it it's just parked now) I'd get 3 out of 4 people with older pickups waving back. It's kinda cool I like it. We all have nice yota's here on TW so i vote wave back. Why not! feels good, like a brotherhood or something.

Brett

11. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Never got any waves, but I have gotten few middle fingers :D

12. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    KingTaco81

KingTaco81 The guy, behind the guy, behind the guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jr
    Bell & El Monte, CA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR
    Bunch of stuff
    no waves only a $hit load of middles fingers...

13. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    I waved a lot when I first got mine, but there are so many tacos here. I would actually bet, per person there are more tacos in my town than any other place in the country. Crazy claim I know, but no joke. An average day headed to work, about 12 miles, and the population of my town is about 20k. I will see 6-10. One day I counted 18 tacomas on my way to work. I wave at the ones who look like they care, (anything aftermarket) but a lot of people that drive them, seem like they dont really give two sh*ts, and look at me like I'm a crazy person.

14. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    h.zack801

h.zack801 Scumbag Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    Truck Parked Mod
    Door Dings
    I wave, hell yea. My dad rides motorcycles, and it's always cool to watch them acknowledge each others' existence in this world of narrow-minded selfishness and snobish-ness.

(Side note, somewhat related): I work with this old fart who has a 2004 Tacoma and LOVES it. He babies the thing. He's constantly complementing me on mine. It's just so neat to me how folks of all ages, creeds, genders, etc. can get along when it comes to Tacos. It's not always like that. We Taco owners have something special. :D

15. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    I typically give them the bird..

When I do wave, I get strange looks. Most people just don't understand.

16. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    jdm.obp

jdm.obp Well-Known Member

Member:
    561, FL
    3" Pro Comp, 5% all around, Antenna X shorty, Debadged
    Subaru community is big on this too, when I had my WRX I would get the wave. Have yet to get one in the Taco nor have I given one. Guess it's cause the Tacomas are more common around here than subies.

17. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Subraru = wave
    VW = Wave
    Saab = Wave
    Toyota = Middle finger

lol.

18. Jan 31, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    I've done so several times, without a single response. Doesn't bode well for southern hospitality. Anyway, at this point, I don't wave unless someone else waves first. Of course, that also hasn't happened yet. :wave:

19. Jan 31, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    tacohound

tacohound Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD Sport
    Smitty built light bar, 4 Hella 550's, Tan HLM and badges, Black sport rims
    I usually check their truck out, appreciate what they have and give them the kindly head nod.

20. Jan 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    some times. most the time they just look at me like i’m some as$ hole. lol

Products Discussed in

To Top