1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dodge owner thinking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by watz, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Aug 8, 2008 at 6:29 AM
    watz

watz [OP] New Member

Member:
    2006 Dodge 2500 Hemi
    Question for you Tacoma owners. I am considering trading my 2006 3/4 Dodge quad cab for a Tacoma. I would like to hear some opinions.

Reasons/pros:

1. I currently commute 2 miles to work. But in less than a year that will change to 24 miles. So mileage will go from "who cares?" to focus on saving cash. Currently I get 10mpg on average, recently I took a trip to Wyoming and averaged 15.4mpg with 5 people and 1,000 pnd ATV in back.

2. Smaller fit into tight places. Great 4x4 capabilities (judging by my brothers 2002 Taco).

3. I think the interior looks more comfortable, the Dodge isn’t that great inside.

Cons

1. I paid 26,500 for my 06 Dodge 3/4 ton. I am not sure I can get a Tacoma (significantly less hauling capabilities).

2. I would have to buy a trailer to haul my ATV and or my Ranger RZR. I am not sure the taco would be happy pulling a 24' enclosed trailer.

My theory is I can probably trade for a Tacoma relatively cheaply then once the move is complete I could pick a 1 ton beater truck to haul everything in... But I am struggle trading for gas mileage and a smaller truck but is very capable and I am sure significantly less painful at the pump (typical tank of gas is 34 gallons, yea 120 bucks per fill up).

I would like to hear what you OWNERS think?

2. Aug 8, 2008 at 7:00 AM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    This is my first Tacoma... I had downsized from a 05 Silverado Crewcab Z71. The chevy was 13-16mpg where as my tacoma is 18.5-22mpg in the same driving conditions!

Cant give any advice for towing... but these trucks are pretty damn roomy/comfortable. My only "gripe"... is being that these trucks dont weigh anything, they dont ride like the big trucks do going down the highway, you feel every bit of wind, bump in the road... but you get used to it after a while.

Ive also gotten 3x as many compliments on this truck in the 3 months ive had it then I ever have with any of my trucks over the last 7 years.... they sure do look good :cool:

3. Aug 8, 2008 at 7:02 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!!
    As a currant Dodge and Tacoma owner, Hands down the Tacoma is my Favorite! Easy to drive, 18-20 mpg., Comfy seats, and MUCH more easy to park. :) I have a 17' boat and my Tacoma pulls it nicely. Last trip to the lake, it got 16.1 mpg towing the boat fully fueled, food, drinks, BIG cooler, and 4 full sized adults. For larger towing duties, the Dodge beats it hands down. :D

4. Aug 8, 2008 at 7:07 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Check out my signature picture... I just got finished towing ~6,000 lbs from Denver to San Antonio. I still had passing power with no worries.

The Tacoma delivers, but it definitely isn't a 3/4 ton. You should look into a Tundra if you're going over 6,500 lbs routinely...

Cheers!

5. Aug 8, 2008 at 7:19 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I owned a Dodge and then bought a car and now have my Taco and I love it. A 24 foot trailer might be stretching the capabilities for the Tacoma depending on what all you plan on having in there with your ATV and what not- towing 6500 LBS with the factory tow pakage is the limit.

It's beeen said but take a look at the Tundra too- Might get closer to your desired mpgs and pull what you want!
    Good luck with the search!!

6. Aug 8, 2008 at 7:26 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Do you need a truck for work? If you don't need one, I'd be leaning towards keeping your dodge and getting a very fuel efficient vehicle for that commute.

The Tacoma gets great gas mileage for a truck, but I'd be driving a car for my commute if I could afford an additional vehicle.

7. Aug 8, 2008 at 7:34 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Me too... Oh, wait. There it is in my signature - 1998 Jetta 1.9L TDI. :rolleyes:

8. Aug 8, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    taconinja

taconinja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    08 Base 4X4
    I found it interesting that our 03 Durango with the 4.7 SOHC V8 and 4spd auto w/ overdrive had a towing capacity of just under 2000lbs. My 08 Taco has a 2.7 I4 and 5spd and is rated at 3500lbs towing and 1400lbs payload.

Maybe consider the new Chevy/GMCs. I am a member of SAE and our monthly publication ranks that vehicle as the 2nd best engineered vehicle on the road, second only to the Lexus LS. It receives countless praise from Car and Driver and Motor Trend as well. They are decent looking inside and out, have a V8 capable of 20mpg and are offering it in a hybrid next year. I think they do well with JD Power rankings as well.

Don't think I am steering you away from a Toyota but the GM might be a better option than the Tundra for your requirements. Research your options and test drive everything!

9. Aug 8, 2008 at 8:13 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Is the Dodge diesel?

If yes - take some cash and buy a biodiesel-setup to produce your own fuel. Then, it won't matter how much money you're paying at the pump.

Gasser? I think you need to answer a couple questions....
    1) How much weight do you tow?
    2) Do you tow it on a regular basis?
    3) Does that weight exceed the tacoma towing capacity?

The tacoma is a great truck to down-size to. I used to own a Dodge 1500 that I used to tow 6500lbs of jeep/trailer on a regular basis for a few years. One year ago - we weren't towing anymore and traded the Dodge in for the tacoma. Best thing I've ever did. However......I've owned a tacoma in the past so it was a no brainer for me. We don't tow the jeep with the tacoma.

However - if you plan on downsizing and still want to tow/haul stuff like you have been all along (with the 3/4 ton), you might find the tacoma a bit lacking in the handling versus what you're used to in the 3/4 ton (effortless handling while towing). Of course, there are things you can do to help that....but again.... it's what you're used to towing with.

I'll have to agree with Isocoee - find yourself a 'beater car/suv' to drive to work daily and keep the 3/4 ton for the towing & hauling that you need.

10. Aug 8, 2008 at 8:50 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    The tacoma is my first truck and I upsized from a a corolla. :laugh: But I enjoy getting 20mpg vs the 9-10 my father in law gets with his 01 Ram (which has needed over $3,000 worth of repair work in less than 6 months). Lowest I've gotten was 14 while towing:

th_DSCF2096_f0091e3d14de1adb3c0b2c9a2330b354ea3d013c.jpgth_towingyellowford_d83dc9f4bc8e7f1290617c28ae88315fef6ff0d7.jpg

With a lift and bigger tires it handles the highway better than my car. And I have the cap on the back affecting drag and crosswinds.

11. Aug 8, 2008 at 10:32 AM
    Buckfever

Buckfever Hook 'Em

Member:
    Liberty Hill, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 debadged
    TSB (4 leaf spring added to rear with Bilstein 5100s)
    I recently towed 50 2x6x16s and 50 2x6x10s on a 12' tandem axle trailer and had no problems (see picture). I also just towed the same trailer loaded with a 4x6 deer blind, 4wheeler, tower for blind, fencing, etc 240 miles to west Texas in July and received 12.4 mpg going and 16.2 on the return trip with only the 4 wheeler. I think the drag from the blind (pretty tall and wide) significantly reduced the mileage on the way there.

12. Aug 8, 2008 at 1:33 PM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    +1, bingo. You're going to take a bath trying to trade that Dodge, will be lucky to get half what you paid for it in trade, and to do the towing tasks you'll need a V6 Taco, so you'll be paying well into the 20Ks for a new or newer one.

I'd keep the Dodge and buy a small eco-friendly car for the commute. Of course, while it's great to have two vehicles the downsides include storage/garage/parking situations and increased insurance and licensing costs.

13. Aug 8, 2008 at 1:35 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    this might be the first time that we are trying to talk someone out of buying a Tacoma.

14. Aug 8, 2008 at 2:05 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I used to think that also..... but....It's not always the case.

I had a 2004 Dodge Ram QC (w/ Hemi) that I paid $27,500 employee pricing (MSRP $37,500). About 3 years later & 22k miles on it, I traded it in at the Toyota dealer and they gave me $19,000 for it.

For 4 months prior.... I had it listed for private sale at $22,000 and I kept lowering my price cuz nobody was biting. The used truck market is loaded with Dodge trucks and people don't wanna give you anything for them. So - I kept lowering my price. I took it to the dealer for the hell of it to see what they'd offer. And actually.... I told them I had it listed privately. They asked me what I had it listed for - which, at the time was $19K. And they offered to take it off my hands for my private listing price. I just about fell off my chair!!!! Not only that...but I saved a boatload in sales taxes with the trade versus paying cash for the tacoma.

15. Aug 8, 2008 at 2:23 PM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    Makes sense under those circumstances. I suspect, however, that the trade-in value of a big Dodge has decreased with the coming of $4 gas in the past few months......and this reprieve that we're getting right now is temporary. Hope I'm wrong, but I suspect that oil will go up again, maybe not in the short term but within a year or two it's headed back to $150+ per barrel.

16. Aug 8, 2008 at 4:36 PM
    mainerinexile

mainerinexile Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access cab I4 4x4 5 spd
    You mean that someone actually owns an American truck?!?

I thought those vehicles I see on the road were just dealers driving around making believe that someone actually bought one once.

17. Aug 8, 2008 at 6:34 PM
    slackdaddy2001

slackdaddy2001 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DoubleCab, SR5 Offroad Pkg.
    Ditch your 2006 3/4 Dodge quad cab and get a Tacoma Offroad or Sport. I look forward to driving my Tacoma every time I use it. It looks great, it's reliable, and it is versitile. Taking it camping this coming week. I have AC power, bike racks, it can hold my canoe etc...

18. Aug 8, 2008 at 6:45 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I came from a 1993 Dodge Ramcharger, great truck, a pig, a thirsty pig. I did have problems with front ends, and yes I too had to alter my life when it came to my Tacoma. It was worth it. I have towed, not as much as your 3/4 ton, but I maxed it out and I have to say it is a champ. I would have to say it took me about six months to figure it all out, and I have never been happier. I only wished I had been in toyotas years ago. Good luck in your quest.

19. Aug 8, 2008 at 7:09 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I keep seeing predictions like this without any proof whatsoever. Man may also walk on the moon again sometime, too. Meanwhile, oil prices are down $4.50 today to $115/barrel and down $32 from a month ago. What I've been saying for a year, that it's a bubble, seems to have come true.

As to the topic, I'd stay with the Dodge at this point (Is the name Dodge like a Freudian slip?) because you will definitely take a bath on it in this current climate.

20. Aug 8, 2008 at 8:04 PM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    I recently( 3 weeks ago ) traded in my 97 Ram. I took a slight beating on the trade, but thought it was acceptable. I only do minor towing / hauling and down-sizing was in my best interest. I bought a double cab, V6, 4WD and I love it. Of course it's still new to me, but I look forward to taking it out whenever I can.

Products Discussed in

To Top