1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does a Tacoma become a Rattle Trap with Time and Mileage?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by saf023, Jan 10, 2010.

?

Does a second generation Tacoma become a rattle trap with time and mileage?

1. I have less than 25K miles and it rides and handles as tight and solid as ever.

453 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. I have between 25K and 50K miles on my Tacoma and it rides and handles as tight and solid as ever.

271 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. I have between 50K and 75K miles on my Tacoma and it rides and handles as tight and solid as ever.

160 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. I have between 75K and 100K miles on my Tacoma and it rides and handles as tight and solid as ever.

145 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. I have over 100K miles on my Tacoma and it rides and handles as tight and solid as ever.

160 vote(s)
    11.4%
  6. My Tacoma does not ride and handle as tight and solid as it used to.

210 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. Jan 11, 2010 at 12:21 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    2005 with 138,000 miles. No rattles.

Only issue is I have to re-tighten the torx bolts on the drivers side mirror every few months. I think it was hit.

2. Jan 11, 2010 at 1:14 AM
    Tacoda

Tacoda Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Sport 4x4
    I've had several Toyota vehicles, more than I care to admit, including FJs and Tacomas. The only two that I've ever had any issues with were a 2000 Sienna mini van and a 1985 MR2. The van had no mechanical problems but liked to shed trim and had one issue with the remote opening door. The MR2 which I purchased used, developed an issue where it liked to use a little oil when it was time for an oil change.

My first truck was a 1983 4x4 it was grey with stripe decals. Back then they came with white painted steel wheels. It was a four banger, there was no other engine option. If I remember it was called a 22R engine. Those trucks didn't need a lift for 32" tires so I put a set of crome steel wheels and some Remington tires on and it looked good to me. I also put a Holley four barrel carb on the truck, that I regreted, young and stupid. The truck never gave me a moments problem, i just wished I'd never changed out the stock carb. If I recall I put about 50k on that little truck.

Through the years I've owned many Tacomas and I hate to admit three FJs. I don't hate to admit that because of anything other than I like to trade vehicles way too much. The FJs are fine vehicles if you don't have regular back seat passengers, of which I have two. Allowing access to the rear seat is a great inconvience to the driver and front passenger, and the rear passengers (kids) want windows that roll down.

So I've traded again, about 2000k ago for yet another Tacoma, I've lost count how many. It better suits my passenger needs. Since 2005 with these 2nd gen trucks about the only modification I've ever done is add a few factory items like skids and bug shields. I had one with the TRD exhaust. In addition of tried a couple CAIs and usually replace the Dunlops with something a bit more aggressive.

I have yet to develope any in need of repair issue with any Toyota truck or FJ. That said I'm scheduled to have the rear spring TSB performed this morning at 8:00, just because.

I do have plans for this current truck which include a 3" lift, tires, wheels and probably a CAI. That'll be about all I'll want to do. I'll keep it clean, use Mobile One synthetic oil, wont jump any sand dunes or have to shovel any mud out of the seats and it'll start everytime I ask it to. It'll pull a wagon with a reasonable load, drive across the hay field, get me home through every snow storm. The tail gate will never bend from supporting me and the kids at the local hamburger stand. It'll take us camping, get dusty and then shine again with the next wash.

It'll never ride like a car, it is a truck after all. It'll never get milage like my significant other's Honda Fit, but it is a 4x4 truck after all. Mmmm, there's just something about a truck!

3. Jan 11, 2010 at 1:17 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    does a bear shit in the woods???

4. Jan 11, 2010 at 5:12 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

Here is my proposal...for all who claim are 100% rattle free, are you saying this just because you can't (don't want to) admit you may have noise, or are you just going off your daily driving experience (aka, get in turn on the radio and not really think about or listen for rattles/noise).

I find it hard to believe that so many claim NO NOISE AT ALL? I don't hear any noise either. .....unless i roll the windows up, turn OFF the radio and actually LISTEN for the rattles to happen.

other wise I would have to agree that my truck is not that bad and rattle free?

Help me people with "no ratlles at all" elaborate please....

And if this is really true, that the majority of taco owners are rattle free...should the dealer cover fixing the noises i mentioned in my ealier post?

5. Jan 11, 2010 at 5:19 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    I have 80k on mine. Only rattle is on the right side. It may be the harness has come loose in the kick panel area?? Or something rolling around in the map pocket. :eek:

6. Jan 11, 2010 at 5:41 AM
    SURFTACO

SURFTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD SPORT
    3'' Lift: Bilstein 5100’s, SPC UCAs, All Pro 3” leaf packs, Bilstein 5125’s, Kenda 33X10.5R17 Tires Flat Black Stock Rims Seat Belt Chime off Fog Lights On anytime Jet pilot interior All weather floor Mats Tonneau Cover Cali Raised Ditch Lights Snorkel
    I would think the dealership would take care of it. It's just an inconvenience taking the truck there. On another note, along the rattles.....anyone getting a sound coming from the a/c fan on the low position? haha, I'm insane.

7. Jan 11, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    The only rattle i hear ( that is annoying) Is when i leave anything in that plastic bed, A small tie down sounds like a brick hitting the bed.

8. Jan 11, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    usmcgoose

usmcgoose One shot is all I need

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4
    I drive an '05, 6 cyl, manual, double cab. I don't have any rattles or random noises. I have 61K miles. Doesn't matter if the radio is on or off. But I guess a light rattle might be covered by the sound of the exhaust.

9. Jan 11, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    tig1

tig1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Saint John,New Brunswick,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    n fabs,window visor tonneau ,bilstein 5100's all round.245/75R16Toyo A/T II
    Hi tig1 calling-the passenger seat been rattling since the day I bought my tacoma(2009).the dealer told me"it's normal",I told him I don't think so,he opened a door to another taco beside mine,and rattled the passenger seat.other than that it's tight as a drum.
    the truck has 10027kms
    later tig1

10. Jan 11, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I have something in the dash that rattles every now and again. I haven't found it or really looked because I can't cause the rattle or hear exactly where it is coming from. I hate to take it apart and cause some rattles. I am crazy about rattles. No one else notices it though so maybe its just me.

No other issues.

11. Jan 11, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    I have 108k on mine and really the only thing I can complain about is the mysterious glovebox rattle and my pulley(s) that whine after I had 4x4'd through some muddy water. Other than than it rides great, not like new, but I did buy it used , and still rides like a champ. I love my Taco!! :D

12. Jan 11, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i agree with you.i find hard to believe people are rattle free.my shit rattles like a shopping cart going downs stairs.ok not that bad.

13. Jan 11, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    Chester

Chester Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    I dont understand this post?You bought a truck its not an Lexus.You take it off road it will encounter some flexing and stressing if you use it as a truck.Is the dash going to rattle out of the truck at 100'000 miles doubtful.But if you take it offroad or tow or just use it as a TRUCK then yes you will get some rattles.You want a rattle free mode of transportion you bought the wrong type of vehicle.

14. Jan 11, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I have the annoying buzz from behind the glove box that I can't seem to identify. Besides that, it doesn't rattle under normal driving conditions.

Occasionally, new noises pop up and eventually go away. I am OCD with noises like that. My wife can't seem to hear these noises even though she has better hearing than me. I notice them every time I'm in the truck.

So far (1 yr and 15K miles), this truck rattles less than any vehicle I've ever owned. A little TLC goes a long way - check for loose bolts, oil places if necessary, etc. Things are going to rattle...its the ones you can't find or get to that a problem - all the rest can be fixed or rigged.

15. Jan 11, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    My '08 has about 20K on it and my front end rattles every time i hit a bump. I believe it is the front axles as there is a lot of play in them. I don't expect my truck not to rattle; it is a truck after all and I take it offroad often. The front end rattle is very annoying though.

16. Jan 11, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    80k and frame is flexi-flier.
    No engineering coup here

17. Jan 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

you have a standard?

18. Jan 11, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    06 with 15,000miles no rattles that i am aware of,<---may be def though!! (too much loud music!)

19. Jan 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    Well I do have a small vibrating noise I think its comming from the dash? But I have also lost a socket and a clip to the stock radio that they both fell down in the dash some were. So its hard to say what it is.. :eek:

20. Jan 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:

Try this link for the rattle behind the dash. if that doesn't fix it, see if it only happens when the blower is on. If that's the case, check this one.

Products Discussed in

To Top