1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

does anyone have an AMAZEN smoke tray and MES 30"?

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by pudge151, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Nov 29, 2015 at 9:14 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    I have been using my MES 30" for a year of 2 and i love it. Easy to use and cooks very nicely. only thing i didnt like was the fact i had to add small amounts of wood chips fairly frequently. i wanted to be able to throw something in , like a brisket, overnight and eat it the next day. I read great reviews on the AMAZEN smoker tubes and trays. So i went for the tray and got some of their pellets. I have tried it a few times and can not for the life of me, get the pellets to stay lit. I have tried drying them in the oven and microwave, doesnt help. I have tried lighting them with gel and they light great, but once i blow the flame out and put the tray in the smoker they just burn out. I used a propane torch, them them flame up and burn for 15-30 minutes, b,ow them out, put in smoker and again they wont stay lit and stops producing smoke. I have tried moving it around, i put a "smoke stack" on, try with the chip tray removed, half way, and closed tight. nothing helps. anyone have any tips for me?
    images_7eea3371a4559cfba98ab6caf85a6e60843a491b.jpg

2. Dec 7, 2015 at 3:48 PM
    Conumdrum

Conumdrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    2WD Sport Nav SC V-6 Mall crawler Home Depot truck
    Well, I cracked the door open just a bit to help when I first got the tube. There isn't enough oxygen in there. You can dry the pellets in the oven, maybe you have damp pellets. You can also dampen the pellets a bit and they will fall apart into dust. Wood dust works better in the tray. And what brand of pellets?

My ol' MES analog 30 is relegated to cold/warm (110f max) smoking. I put a 92mm PC fan on the back with a speed control and cut a hole on top for a chimney. Not good for higher temps but really gets the airflow going for jerky to help dry it out.

3. Dec 7, 2015 at 5:29 PM
    pudge151

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    I am using the amazen pellets. I will try and soak and dry them into dust. Drying in oven and microwave haven't worked yet. Thanks for the tips.

4. Sep 24, 2016 at 8:17 PM
    2ndGenTRD

2ndGenTRD Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Grey Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    I have that AMAZN tray and although I've only used it once (last autumn to smoke some cheese) I had no issues with the pellets going out. The tray generated more than enough smoke and worked great. I lit the pellets with a propane torch. I did leave the vent at the bottom of my smoker open as well as the chimney to ensure good airflow. Perhaps the pellets are extinguishing due to oxygen starvation/ poor ventilation??
    There is another version of the tray that is meant for saw dust.

5. Sep 26, 2016 at 9:08 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    I havent used these but sounds like the pellets are not getting enough oxygen or they are damp but if they are dried in an oven they should work...

6. Sep 26, 2016 at 9:11 AM
    pudge151

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    I found a way to work it. The pellets just don't work no matter what I did.
    I bought some smoker saw dust on Amazon that works well. I leave there chip loader tray half way out and the top vent half open. This provides good air flow and the perfect amount of smoke.

Screenshot_20160918-155957.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top