1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does anyone have any advice on greasing my new moog ball joints?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Stout890, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Sep 13, 2011 at 2:33 AM
    Stout890

Stout890 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    So I am going to install my moog ball joints in pretty soon here and I want to know exactly what to do before I get my truck in pieces so I don't have any hang ups since it's my daily driver.
    Basically I am wondering if anyone has experience on servicing moog lower ball joints and tie rod ends? On my tie rod ends it comes with a Zerk fitting and looks as though some grease is already in there but says that the part needs to be serviced after installation. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315906040.067974.jpg

Now my lower ball links also say to be serviced and seem to have some grease yet they do not come with Zerk fittings.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315906136.199411.jpg

I can go ahead and remove the nut sealing the greasing hole and install a Zerk fitting, but I worry if it will get in the way somehow and be broken off or hinder installation.

Any advice? Maybe I can grease it with the Zerk fitting than reinstall the cap that comes with the joint

Thanks in advance for any tips

2. Sep 13, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Leave the zerks in and grease it when you change oil.

3. Sep 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    I just put Moog lower ball joints on my Taco. The left side was not drilled/plugged. The right side was. I didn't try to find a zerk that was small enough to fit the dirlled/threaded hole. Both ball joints had plenty of grease in them.

You can also move the spring wire and rubber boot, pack grease in the ball joint, and then reinstall the rubber boot and spring wire.

4. Sep 13, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    I don't know if it's a good idea to not service the ball joints. I'll have to look at my other one again but I'm sure I remember it having the plug. I bought a multi pack of zerks for 5 bucks from harbor freight but have yet to check the fitment.

I'm pretty sure the servicing point is on the outboard side of the joint, putting it in between the brake disk shield and the joint. So I wonder how I can get to it to service it regularly. And if a Zerk will fit in there?

Is it normal for the joints to sound/feel rough when articulated by hand? Because mine do and that is why I think they need to be serviced still. I imagine there greased just enough to keep them from corroding or seizing in storage.

5. Sep 13, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Good advice whippersnapper, I'll make sure to keep an eye on that with my lower ball links but actually what's kind of cool is my tie rod ends have a little nipple with a slit that allows excess grease to bleed out when it's full. So I just fill it up Tull it comes out than whip it clean.

Wondering too if I should grease em than drive a bit to work the grease around that top em off again?

6. Sep 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Got em greased. And wow they took alot of it. I used that mobile 1 synthetic grease. I ended up picking up a assortment pack of Zerk fittings and put em in. The clearance issues seem fine so I can now service them when ever I need to which is good.

I couldn't imagine putting those on without servicing them with grease

Products Discussed in

To Top