1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does anyone know why Tacomas and FJs...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by spidy3, Feb 24, 2011.

1. spidy3

spidy3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dom
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD V6
    stock
    Anyone know why just the manual Tacomas and FJs have the clutch cancel switch?

I just found out, just wondering if anyone else does

2. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Is is there for offroad situations. Lets say you are on a steep incline and you stall. If you push the clutch to start you can roll back into some trouble. You push the button so you can start without having to push the clutch.

3. hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    if your clutch fails, you can start the vehicle in gear and shift clutchless to get home.

4. STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    01 5VZ-FE TRD 5spd
    '95-'97 style Grille/Hood/Taillights/Tailgate decals, ARB bull bar, Rock sliders, Custom rear tube bumper, King Coilovers with Icon neoprene spring condoms, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs with N85 shocks, NWOR greasable shackles/spring pins and OME hardware; IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W fog lights, CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor; ARB-mounted 4' Hi-Lift, Deckplate mod, Grey Wire mod, Dif Breather Extension, Dif Drop Kit, Sway bar removed, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Boat cupholder
    I use it to start the truck when I am not in it usually. Pull p-brake, put in neutral, and turn key with button pushed...

I think it's very convenient and Toyotas have had it for a while now.

5. MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    x2

6. Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I love this button. I use it all the time. When i want to warm up my car hit the button and turn the key. Bammmm it up and running.

7. bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Locker, Yaesu FT 8900 Ham Radio
    That's a pretty clever gambit. By using this technique, you immediately got the right answer to your question on the very first reply - as opposed to the usual litany of five or six posts telling you to search, rtfm, etc... before someone grudgingly coughs up the answer. ;):D

8. Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Exploring the Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    King ET Coilovers Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate Trail Gear U-bolt Flip Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker OBA ARB Twin Comp 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch PIAA 510 SMR Fog Lights Lightforce 170s Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Optima Yellow Top battery Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines K&N Drop-in air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Uniden 520xl CB radio 3’ Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1” Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    The validity of your comment is questionable.

The clutch start cancel switch does not replace clutch function. All this switch does is bypass the requirement of the pedal being fully depressed to be able to start the engine. You've always been able to drive home not using a clutch, whether you use this button or not, though I wouldn't recommend it.

9. Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    or just step on the brake pedal.

10. Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Exploring the Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    King ET Coilovers Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate Trail Gear U-bolt Flip Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker OBA ARB Twin Comp 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch PIAA 510 SMR Fog Lights Lightforce 170s Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Optima Yellow Top battery Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines K&N Drop-in air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Uniden 520xl CB radio 3’ Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1” Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    ^^^Would you use your left foot or your right foot to step on the brake?

In those circumstances, with a manual trans, on a steep incline, and having to start the engine while you hold the truck in place, you have three pedals to deal with.

The clutch start cancel switch allows you to use your left foot for the brake and your right foot for the accelerator pedal.

11. Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I am no trying to be a wize ass, but I don't pump the gas in my fuel injected truck to start it. I also have a parking brake that needs no foot on it at all to hold my truck still. I just think it makes more sense for it to let one start the truck without having to get in the truck. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't need it to help start while being on a steep hill is all.

12. Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2010DCSB4X4TRDORMGM
    See build thread.
    glad you got the answer.

i wouldnt have told him to search; i would have told him to post in the appropriate forum.

13. SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma White Tank

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Angleton,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Lifted and Armed
    Some mods. Check build.
    Does anyone know how it works? I have always wondered? :confused:

14. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    In some situations rolling back could mean you will flip onto your lid when offroad. It isn't just because it is steep.

Really I think everyone with a manual transmission should be in their vehicle when they start it because I have seen too idiots start in gear only to hit the car in front of them.

15. tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2010 4 X 2 Regular Cab
    Chrome exhaust tip
    Clutch Cargo?

16. Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    fair enough. Neutral safety switch solves that problem. I still don't get the hill start thing, but ,,ok

17. tc98tacoma

tc98tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
    you jsut gotta be quick and good at using manual trans offroadin
    just make sure no ones behind you lol
    i love the clutch cancel button !!!!!

18. TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Yeah I don't get what some of you are talking about! You cant start the truck in gear with the clutch out! You can use it to crawl up a hill but you will likely blow the starter, and will not actually start. I did it once with an older car.
    I use it to start the truck quick from outside the truck. Yes people do jump thier trucks into sh#t doing it but you have to forget to put the break on and forget to take it out of gear, so to those people, you might want to get an auto. Anyways, everyone I know who drives stick uses the ebrake every time they park. Too easy to nock it out of gear.

19. Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    I can start the truck with my left foot on the clutch, my right foot on the brake. I won't roll back or forward now while I start the truck. When it's started, I can switch my right foot to the gas pedal while I ease the clutch pedal out, in gear of course, to get the truck moving again after a stall (simple hill start). I hope this clears up the issue of not needing it to be able to start the truck on an incline.(steep or not) Fuel injected cars and trucks don't require pumping of the gas pedal to start UNLESS you already pumped it and flooded it. Then you hold the pedal down to the floor until it starts to clear the flood. I can do that with my foot on the gas and another on the clutch with my e-brake engaged, without rolling. What am I missing here?

20. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    And again it is completely different when you are offroad. Lets say you are inches away from a cliff and rolling back means you will meet your maker. You push the switch and turn the key without pushing the clutch. The truck rolls forward and the engine starts as you roll away from the cliff. You get home and you bang your wife or gf or both. Yes you can do it without the fancy button but one wrong move and you are over the cliff.

To Top