1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Door edge guard

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chris valle, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Sep 19, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    chris valle

chris valle [OP] Green Manalishi

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Double Cab Long Bed
    I bought the door edge guards from trdpart4u and am confused how to install them. It says in the instructions to trim the hem flange sealant material. How do you do this? Do you remove it all? Half of it? Is there a tool to help with this? This is all very confusing. I don't want to eef up my new truck Any suggestion? Thanks

2. Sep 19, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    glandnut

glandnut Reserve Squirrel Hair

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    16' 4Runner TEP, 01' Ext cab 4x4
    secret stuff.
    I'm thinking they are suggesting you remove any seam/panel sealer if it is in the way of the door edge guard. I don't know about you, but mine has magnetic gray paint over the seams, and I'm not about to go digging that stuff out to put on some edge guards, JMO.

3. Sep 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    sts

sts Member

Member:
    NE Illinois
    Vehicle:
    17 TRDORAC Blazing Blue
    I only had to shave a bit of paint/sealant from the lower part of the interior door seam. Never got close to metal. I then just applied touch up paint to the little bit of exposed sealant material. When you go to hand fit the edging, you will see if you have any shaving to do. Use a rubber mallet to walk the trim on to the door edge.

Hope that makes sense!

Steve

4. Sep 21, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    chris valle

chris valle [OP] Green Manalishi

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Double Cab Long Bed
    Thanks for the info. You only had to shave half of the thickness off? Halfway down the door? What did you use to "shave" the sealant? A razor blade? I bought these things now I'm hesitant to put them on. I don't want to ruin my door. Are you happy with how they turned Out? Thanks again

5. Sep 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    sts

sts Member

Member:
    NE Illinois
    Vehicle:
    17 TRDORAC Blazing Blue
    Handfit starting from the top. Don't use any pressure yet. Just get the trim positioned. You should now be able to tell where the door will be too thick to effectively install the trim 100%. The trim is designed to be a tight fit so you are really only concerned with the high points of the sealant where it was a bit excessive in the seam. Shave the high points with a straight razor blade. IIR I only had two or three small parts that needed to be shaved. I also needed to test fit a few times and made minor shaves before I took the rubber mallet to it. I like them and so does the garage wall! Just take your time.

Steve

6. Nov 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    dessertsand05

dessertsand05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC SR5 4x4
    Working on it
    Hate to resurrect an old thread but had wished I knew more about these before I bought them. I bought a set for my 05 DC and while the paint matched perfect they just didn't really fit tight. They came from the TRDparts4U kind of mangled, but I think that is how they are supposed to be. Two doors fit well, two doors kept sliding out.

I followed the directions and didn't see any areas I needed to shave, the things just aren't that tight in the door, atleast my weren't. I slowly fit them with light blows and was careful to figure our which door went with which, that wasn't easy as they are not marked. So after an hour I just decided take them all off, I figured if they were half falling off now a year from they wouldn't be any better.

It makes sense if these things were any good we would have all kind of posts about them (ie weathertech mats, WO covers), the lack of info about them kind of says it all.

This email is just my 2cents, but if it saves someone else $50 all the better.

7. Nov 7, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    where did you guys get it from????

8. Nov 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    dessertsand05

dessertsand05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC SR5 4x4
    Working on it
    I got them form trdparts4u; great service from them, but the product just wasn't that good. When I didn't see any other posts about the product on here I should have known.

9. Nov 7, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    what else good products get i meant to say

Products Discussed in

To Top