1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Door lock issue on Sequoia

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Capt Jrod, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Jul 10, 2017 at 10:32 AM
    Capt Jrod

Capt Jrod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Northern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    15 WHITE DCSB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Hi guys I drive a 2015 taco, but my wife's 2012 sequoia is giving me some trouble. The door locks are intermittently giving me some issues. Yep, the worst kind, intermittent electrical issues. The doors will unlock via remote as well as the door switch. They will not lock. The remotes and switches don't lock them. When pushing the switch I can hear a very faint click but no lock. It makes me think relay, but I can't find anything. Sometimes they work, most times they don't. It makes the solid tone when the door is open and I try to lock them. I tried replacing all the batteries in the remotes, checked all fuses, disconnected and reconnected the battery. I checked all the door ajar sensors. Thanks in advance to all who can help.

uurx likes this.
  2. Jul 10, 2017 at 10:35 AM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
    door lock actuator would be my first guess, but would be kinda surprised if all of them failed together..

Capt Jrod[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 10, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    Capt Jrod

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Northern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    that was my thoughts... Four actuators simultaneously failed? The actuators are pretty notorious on these. I can't find anything that agitates it. I tried the door switches, different remotes, etc... I hate to go to the stealership, they will just start swapping parts and apologize when that doesn't fix it.

4. Jul 10, 2017 at 10:57 AM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
    i did a quick google search and found on ih8mud there is a bunch of threads about this being a known issue on toyota/lexus land cruisers'

5. Jul 10, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    Capt Jrod

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Northern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    sweet I'll take a look. Im a member from when I owned a FJ40

6. Jul 11, 2017 at 3:35 PM
    Capt Jrod

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Northern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    well I'm still searching. I read the threads on I H8 Mud, and this kinda points towards a "body control module" the other possibility is that the drivers door actuator controls the other three actuators? Due to the fact that they unlock, but don't lock I think the actuators are good. The dealership is of little to no help. They said that they would have to diagnose everything and that they feel that it is the actuator(s). I asked them that if they replace the actuator and that wasn't the problem would I have to pay? They replied yes. I fear that if I take it in that they are going to bolt on parts until they get to the problem. My issue is that I can just start swapping parts until its fixed... I would like to think that a technician could troubleshoot this and find the bad part, then replace it. I guess I am scared to turn them loose on a $2000 goose chase. Actuators are $350, and the BCM is $400. I'm thinking about trying to find the control module deep in the bowels of the dash to see how bad this is gonna be. What concerns me also is that this module controls a ton of other things that are functioning correctly. Any thoughts guys?

uurx likes this.
  7. Jul 11, 2017 at 4:30 PM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
    idk I am also still leaning towards actuators. From what I was reading from others, they had the issue of failure to lock but still would unlock properly..

I would look further into the actuator part numbers, IIRC reading properly the camry has an interchangeable actuator as well as possibly a gs lexus sedan and there is also an eBay actuator that some had successfully used.

I have not read about BCM failure yet, later will look it up and see.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Capt Jrod[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 11, 2017 at 5:24 PM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
    well some more reading and I would agree it can very possibly be the BCM (prob reading the same threads)

now I would say it is much easier accessing those actuators than accessing the BCM, but that is just my opinion here

I am not sure exactly which one is the culprit though, seems like people have had this same issue and some replacing the bcm and some others replacing the door lock actuators have solved their problems..

I am just guessing on this one, but I feel like a faulty BCM would also have some other symptoms, but again just guessing out load here

Kinda surprised some of the others have not replied I am sure some fellow taco owners here have their significant others driving around in these tank Sequoias!!!

9. Jul 11, 2017 at 7:02 PM
    Capt Jrod

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Northern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I've mostly searched and reached out to the tundra community. My dad has a crew max which is essentially the same vehicle. Luckily it's a convenience issue and not a deal breaker. The wife is a little pissed.

Products Discussed in

To Top