1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Door Rust!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by megamole, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jan 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    megamole

megamole [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab longbed Sport Package
    Westin Platinum Series Tube Steps, Westin Bullbar, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneu cover, 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Removed back seat storage for a Toolbox, Helwig EZ990 helper springs, weather tech floor liners, custum bed lights
    :mad: I had seen rust inside my rear passenger door coming from the step molding, I noticed one of the support pieces in the step had broken. So I took it cleaned and painted it. That was a month ago. I looked under the door and here is what I saw.

So how do I remove the door panel and repair it, anyone else with something like this? I can"t remember Toyota's rust through warranty, because this is almost through!!

photo.jpg

2. Jan 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Toyota will tell you to shove it.

Pull the door panel.

There are a few screws near the handle. Look up a thread on how to install speakers and you will see a video.

After the screws are out you have to pry the panel off basically it is held b plastic tabs all around the perimeter of the door panel.

You some navel jelly or like product to stop the rust or it will just keep coming back.

Take note the upper left black trim piece comes off separate, when you put it back on make sure you place the small white plastic clips on the black piece if you leave them in the door and put the black trim piece back on you will break the clips and end up going to the dealer to but them.

3. Jan 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Take it off the door panel ^^^ and see whats inside. I would think you have a very bad seal on your window. SO water is drianing through your window and sitting inside your door panel and rusting. I doubt it would come from the step molding because its a painted surface. The rust has to come from a unprotected surface - inside of door panel. If a painted surface is rusting it has to come from a unpainted surface for it to rust in the first place. If theres water inside your door panel theres 2 options,

Easy: Goto toyota or a colosion shop (Macco, ect) and get them to install and new window trim and remove the rust/paint the door.

Hard: Goto a scrap yard or order the trim piece online and install it. Ive done this with my buddies civic, pretty dificult to minuiplate the rubber piece into such a small area.
    Then when the problem is fixed take a metal brush and scrap away the rust. MAsk off the door except for the damaged area. Use a rust sealing primer and color match paint. Then give it a couple coats of lacquer, sanding with appropriate grit between coats.

If it was me, take it to the dealership first. Get them to check it and explane whats happining. Get a price, then goto a colision shop, get annother price. If both are unaffordable and you think you can do it yourself, go for it. ;)

4. Jan 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    :eek: Yeah you're leaking inside your door. Wow. BTW the sheet metal rust-through warranty is 5 years / unlimited miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top