1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Doors Lock Automatically - How Do I Disable?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by uncleelihu, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Oct 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    uncleelihu

uncleelihu [OP] Active Member

Member:
    MN, At The Lake
    Vehicle:
    13 DC 4x4 TRD Sport Pyrite Mica
    2017 4Runner Wheels, Debadged, Wet Okoles
    I use the remote to unlock the doors on my 2002 PreRunner.

The doors automatically lock when I am away from the vehicle.

Is there a way to disable the "auto lock" function?

Thanks

Ron

2. Oct 18, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    Fly5465

Fly5465 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD TRD
    36,000 miles
    I don't know if this is your issuue or not. But I know on many new cars with remotes that unlock the doors, they will lock again automatically if you don't actually open the door. For example... say your door is locked and you unlock with the remote but don't open the door to enter the vehicle. They will automatically lock again themselves after a short period of time (like 1 minute). Try this. Unlock with the remote then just open/close the door. See if it automatically locks again. Most cars won't if the door has been opened.

Just a thought.

FLY5465
    Gilbert Az

127.0.0.1 and Blais03 like this.
  3. Oct 18, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    Tacoguy

Tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma PreRunner V6 3.4 TRD
    Bed Liner, Running Boards, Cargo Net, Deck Plate Mod, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    x2

4. Oct 18, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    slickyd

slickyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    thats what mine does. Ill be walking up to it and hit it from far off and as soon as i reach for the handle the damn thing locks again.

5. Oct 18, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    It's a safety feature. Lets say you just lock the doors, walk away and somehow unlock the doors when you are putting the keys in your pocket without knowing. After so long unless you actually open the door, they are going to lock again.

As for how to disable it, I don't have a clue.

127.0.0.1 likes this.
  6. Oct 18, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    If you have the factory alarm you probably are out of luck, check with the dealer though. If it is aftermarket look in the book mine has that feature turnrd off.

7. Oct 19, 2009 at 4:35 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    Here you go... It's on the Alldata site. I turned mine off, it was pretty annoying...

As a convenience feature, the RS3OOO TVIP system is programmed to automatically lock all of the vehicle's doors (for vehicles equipped with power door locks) when the ignition key is turned to "ON" or "START", and unlock them when the key is turned back to "ACC" or "LOCK". The initial factory setting of this programmable feature is "ON". For some customers however, this feature is not desirable due to instances of passenger lockout when the driver enters the vehicle first and starts the ignition.

AUTOMATIC (IGNITION-CONTROLLED) DOOR LOCKING/UNLOCKING FUNCTION
    The factory setting for the AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCKING/UNLOCkING FUNCTION is "ON".
    To change this feature's operation, follow the steps below:
    1.Sit in the driver's seat with driver's door open.
    2.Insert the key into the ignition switch, and turn it to 'ON" position (not "ACC") 5 times (ON > LOCK > ON > LOCK> ON > LOCK > ON> LOCK > ON) within a 10 second period.
    System Response: The STATUS MONITOR's LED turns on, and the PIEZO BUZZER sounds once.
    NOTE:
    You must perform the next steps within 30 seconds.

[​IMG]

dthisner likes this.
  8. Oct 19, 2009 at 5:22 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    As Paul Harvey would famously say, "And now the rest of the story"

9. Oct 19, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

a 2002 would have the RS3200 system in it...so directions may be different

10. Oct 19, 2009 at 5:29 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    I just looked it up, same exact directions for yours. Not a big difference in the systems it looks.

11. Oct 19, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    Nope you are right... I thought it had the pic I added in of what to do...LOL. Good thing I checked. Thanks dude for catching that!!!:thumbsup:

12. Oct 19, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    uncleelihu

Member:
    MN, At The Lake
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the info!

I bought this rig used and didn't have any documentation other than the owner's manual - no info on an alarm system.

Only recently started using the remote, as I just used the key to lock and unlock.

It sure was a surprise the first time the doors locked by themselves! Glad I had the keys in my pocket ;)

13. Oct 19, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    Cant you just wait until you get a little closer before you unlock the doors? Just wondering...

14. Oct 19, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    uncleelihu

Member:
    MN, At The Lake
    Vehicle:
    Maybe I am too linear in my thinking, but when I unlock the doors, I expect them to remain in that state - unlocked. I don't expect them to lock until I re-lock them.

That having been said, I now know the "rules" the Tacoma expects me to conform to ;)

Yep, you are right. I'll make sure to be close to the truck so they don't re-lock or just open and close the door to prevent the re-locking.

Lots of good info here.

Thanks again!

15. Oct 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM
    trevthefatty

trevthefatty Wheelin' the Great White North

Member:
    Consecon, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 TRD
    Toytec Coilovers, URD MAF calibrator, remote start, deck plate & grey wire etc.......lots of little mods....
    I also HATE that auto lock feature....except mine works a little differently....if i unlock with my remote, the truck will relock all the doors in about 3-5 mins unless i put the ignition to run, no matter if I put the key in the door or open it etc.
    I REALLY hate this feature since i often go to work on my truck without firing her up. I get a tool from in the cab, or the jack and put the keys on the seat....then lock...i'm screwed (lucky i keep a spare.....).... Kinda like the guy above said - if i want the doors unlocked they should stay unlocked! I am smarter than my truck.....stupid safety features for stupid consumers,,,,

16. Oct 31, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    i dont have automatic anything...hehe i have to reach over and unlock my doors and crank my windows down,,,,,,and loving every second of it.

17. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    Coop42

Coop42 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD off road
    My doors will lock by themselves. I found this out the hard way. I,too, have aftermarket alarm/remote start. .... Suggestions???

18. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    Bingo. +1 for common sense.
    Or....just hit the fab again? :)

19. Dec 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    I'm okay with mine doing this, but my truck used to lock the doors as soon as your cranked the motor. Must have been set to "Detroit" mode.

Trying to disable it was like trying to activate an invincibility cheat in GTA.

20. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    Coop42

Coop42 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD off road
    My problem is, my doors lock by themselves. I've gotten locked out more than once. It just started doing it past month or so?...:confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top