1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DOT3 or DOT4 Brake Fluid

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 84Hilux, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Sep 29, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I am going to install stainless brake lines this weekend and do a brake system flush. Just looking for opinions on using Dot 4 instead of Dot 3 fluid. I think they are compatible if mixed and I want to flush out as much of the old Dot 3 as possible.

Other than it costs about $1.00 more for Dot 4 is there a reason not to use it? Seems like the only difference is higher braking temps possible with Dot 4.

2. Sep 29, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    ^^^ Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks for the input.

Products Discussed in

To Top