1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double Cab Sub Options?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MarketingGuy, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Nov 24, 2008 at 7:13 PM
    MarketingGuy

MarketingGuy [OP] Attempting to Decide

Member:
    Damn. Well. IN for more input!

2. Nov 25, 2008 at 8:43 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    If you don't use those subs I'll buy them! :D Actually they will easily fit and set up properly will sound great IMO (you probably already know that :D). What is the width of the Zapco amp? If it is one of the older narrow ones I think it is I have an idea that may allow you to use that as well. :)

BTW, mounting depth is not the only consideration when determining whether or not a certain sub will fit behind the seat of a double cab. Other factors include basket diameter and shape as well as magnet diameter and shape. I've tried with no success to fit a 10W3v"3" however depth and magnet diameter won't allow it (the v2 works great). On the other hand I recently fit 2 IDQ10v3's which have a mounting depth of 5.75 and a basket diameter of 9 5/8" ("typical" 10's are around 9 1/8") in Addicted's truck without using a spacer and without making the enclosure deeper :) (either of which will cause the sub to hit the back of the seat) Almost forgot, some members have told me of enclosures that claim .75ft^3 airspace available on the drivers side and I can promise you there is no way to get that amount in that width unless they are using some kind of new math I'm not familiar with! :eek:

3. Nov 25, 2008 at 9:51 AM
    rkdiddy

rkdiddy Senior Member

Member:
    OC Baby!
    Vehicle:
    '08 Taco DC PR
    Hey Marv,

What would you suggest as far as a cabinet that would fit behind the back seats on the driver side, that would allow me to retain the black plastic on the back of the seat.

I currently have an older Soundstream Little Wonder and I was thinking of getting a Image Dynamics ID10D2 V.3.

Your thoughts?

4. Nov 25, 2008 at 10:12 AM
    cmytacoma

cmytacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Humboldt county NORCAL
    Vehicle:
    05 black DC LB sport
    Eclipse AVN 6620, Diamond audio 4.5" component in kicks, center channel with same mid and 2 tweets, infinity kappa perfect component 6.1 in front doors, kappa 6.1 coax in rear, sx900.4, fosgate power 1000, 06 L7 in ported box. BHLM, custom made sliders,
    Marv is the man. I'm going to have him build my box for 2 dayton HO 10's. Can't Wait! I have all my crossovers under passenger side and doesn't have any issue with clearence. Check out the Dayton HO's, for the price i haven't seen anything beat its performance. 600 rms 1000 peak in less then 5.5" mounting depth. Similar to an IDQ but cheaper and man do these things weigh a ton.

5. Nov 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM
    MarketingGuy

Member:
    http://www.zapco.com/prod/pdf/ag750.pdf

I misspoke.. its a 750w.. and 2 ft, not 3ft..
    24.5"L x 7.5"W x 1.95"H

6. Nov 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Nice amp! :) There are plenty of subs that will work well on just the drivers side without removing the plastic from the back of the seat. Personally I prefer the IDQ over the ID series however what works best for you would depend on your objectives and your budget. :)

7. Nov 25, 2008 at 12:56 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    That's the one I was thinking. :) Basically you would have to build a "notch" into the top inside corner of each enclosure to recess the amp while extending the bottom portion towards the center in order to get the proper airspace for the subs (when looking straight on the amp rack would be in the shape of a "T" if that makes sense).

8. Nov 25, 2008 at 1:35 PM
    billas333

billas333 They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    Dont know exactly how much bass you guys are looking for because I have those Pioneer shallow mounts and I have my deck settings for the Woofer at -2 and its just right for heavy bass music. A little low for rock songs though.

9. Nov 25, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    Addicted

Addicted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - Black
    Those IDQ's rock. Marv did a great job with the enclosure and it fits just fine behind the seats. I haven't gotten it all buttoned back up yet to take pictures. It was late and freezing cold when we installed them. I still haven't put the back seat covers on, etc... However, it really makes no difference, to me anyway. It is a shame to cover Marv's boxes up with carpet. They truly are a thing of art. My installer was saying that they were the best looking box he had ever seen.

I had just one of the 10's in for a day or so and it was ok, but if you can get two. It makes a HUGE difference in sound, etc....

10. Nov 26, 2008 at 4:19 PM
    MarketingGuy

Member:
    Yeah, I think I follow.

So do'able, you think?

11. Nov 29, 2008 at 8:47 AM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Most definitely doable however it would require "better than average" woodworking skills as well as the proper tools. If you need help with the design or construction just let me know and I'll see if I can guide you through it (you/d have to call since I don't type well! :eek:).

12. Dec 6, 2008 at 12:13 PM
    bsmith4293

bsmith4293 bnasty

Member:
    I have seen the sub box at supercrew but they only make them in two subs. Does anyone know where to find a single sub box for a 2004 Double Cab?? I searched this site and cannot find anything simple and store bought.

13. Apr 3, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    pugnaxx

pugnaxx Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    11' Base Access Manual
    I came across this old post from 2008, presumably talking about the 10W6v1s. I'm wondering if anybody has tried to fit a 10W6v2 behind the double cab seat? I'm in the market for a system and am open to suggestions. So far I'm thinking about a Rockford Fosgate T500-1 monoblock (500 Watts) Thanks for any help!!

14. Apr 4, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Unfortunately the 10w6v2 is too deep to fit without some serious modifications to the rear seat location. If you are a JL fan you may consider the 13TW5 thin sub which sounds just as good as the 10W6v2 IMO and doesn't require much more airspace. :)

15. Apr 4, 2011 at 11:47 PM
    pugnaxx

pugnaxx Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    11' Base Access Manual
    Thanks for your help, Mr. Marv. I've been going back and forth between subs for awhile now and I think I'm leaning towards the 13TW5 now. I currently own a Tacoma Access Cab, but am trying to build a system that will fit nicely and discretely in a Double Cab in a few years.

Now I just need to decide if 1 of those subs (with an RF T500-1bdCP) will be enough or whether I should go with a 1000 Watt amp (I'm looking at the RF T1000-1bdCP)!

From your experience does a single 13TW5 hit pretty hard? Is it pretty loud?:cool::confused::)

Thanks again for all of your expertise!

16. Apr 6, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    You're welcome!
    In my experience the 13TW5 when set up properly hits very hard, gets loud and sounds excellent doing it :) (you have to let it break in for a while as it doesn't sound that great when first powered up). Since the 13TW5 has a single 3 ohm voice coil and the T500 does 500 watts @ 2 ohms you won't get the full potential from the sub so personally I would go with the T1000 and be careful with the volume knob (you can always turn it down if it is "too much" but once you "run out" of power you can't turn it up any more! :D).

17. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    pugnaxx

pugnaxx Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    11' Base Access Manual
    Hey thanks again Mr. Marv,

I was thinking that the T1000 would be way too much, but it does make sense to have the power available for a future upgrade. It looks like the T1000 makes 700 Watts at 4 ohm and 1000 at 2 ohm, so I'm guessing I'll be looking at somewhere around 850 watts at 3 ohm. The 13TW5 specs on the JL site says to keep it between 125 watts and roughly 500 watts. As long as I turn the gain way down will the T1000 and watch the volume I guess I should be good?

If I could bug you with two last questions...
    Do you personally recommend using dynamat (or another sound dampener) and if so are there any strategic places to install it on a tacoma?

What is your opinion of Rockford Fosgate Power amps these days? How do they stack up to the competition?

Thanks again for all of your time and advice! You're spoken highly of in the Tacoma community and I appreciate the opportunity to get your input!

18. Apr 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    You need to cover the ENTIRE back wall with vibration dampener.

19. Apr 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    There's a better method. Marv can help. You may want to have the test tones ready

Yes. TW members get a discount on RAAMMat.

Start with doors, then rear wall. Don't worry about floor or ceiling unless you have leftovers or find later that you have the need. There is a certain point of diminishing return.
    The pack that Rick sells at RAAMaudio is enough to do front doors, rear wall, and probably rear doors as well (I haven't gotten around to doing the rears, but I have leftover material)

20. Apr 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    You're welcome and I would love to come help more often but unfortunately my "spare" time is very scarce these days!

My philosophy is "in some cases it is better to have and not need than to need and not have". :D If you "run out" of power you can't turn it up any more however if you have "too much" power you can always turn it down! :cool:

Unfortunately I cannot offer an opinion of those specific amps since I have never personally used them.

I have done installs/helped with installs in countless Tacomas for other members here with different levels of sound deadening as the point of diminishing returns is different for everyone as Chickengmunga stated. I prefer RAAMmat and IMO the doors where the speakers are installed are the most important (you also always want to seal up any holes in the doors to avoid back wave cancellation). I do something called the "tap test" that I learned from Rick at Raamaudio...tap on the center of an area and if it has resonance put some mat on it. Then tap around that area and you'll notice that it won't resonate again for some distance and when it does put more mat on. You will find you do not need to cover every square inch in order to get the same effect. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top