1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double Checking My Plan....

Discussion in 'Towing' started by H0LLYW00D, Sep 9, 2012.

?

Should I make this tow??

Poll closed Sep 17, 2012.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Sep 9, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    H0LLYW00D

H0LLYW00D [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I need to help my GF get her car from the USA, and we had planned to put it on a u-haul and just tow it back as it does not have registration or plates right now. The problem is I think I might be asking too much of the truck, especially the breaks. Here are the rough numbers:

Trailer: 2200lbs
    Car: 3600lbs
    total: 5800lbs

diffeence 700lbs

Which is under the 6500lbs limit but I have a lifted truck with all the skid plates and a bunch of other weight, as well as this would be with a non factory reciever (All-Pro bumper) and there is all the gear to be away for 6 days and three people in the truck...We need to go from Spokane WA to Calgary AB which is 426miles or 685 kilometers, with some moutain passes.

Will I be able to safely do this tow....I dont want to try and save a few bucks if it is safer to drive both and just get a transport pass to make it leagal to drive the other car. Also would the trailer choice make a difference, what I mean is a dolly verse a both wheels off the ground trailer.

any help/advice/guidance would be great, been researching all night and its starting to sit more uneasy with me than when I first thought of the idea.

2. Sep 11, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't think I'd trust a uhaul over that distance and that close to the limits. They are very well known for being VERY poorly maintained.

Personally, I'd be inclined to flat tow the car on a tow bar. Doing that would save you the weight of the trailer and entirely eliminate all tongue weight. To attach a tow bar, you should be able to remove the front bumper to access structural members behind it.

There are electric braking modules available for flat towing cars, they literally push down on the brake pedal. Check out brakebuddy.com -- they aren't cheap, but you may be able to find an rv'er to borrow one from.

Another option for you is a car dolly with surge brakes, but they run around 750 pounds. Still better than 2200 though.

Products Discussed in

To Top