1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

double din theft prevention

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by enjm10, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Sep 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    enjm10

enjm10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 4x4 Silver Streak
    20% tint all around, 5100s all four corners w rear aal, step bars, windshield visors, foglight anytime mod, front black lip, door emblems blacked out, satoshi grill, avid light bar, dash light mod blue, also did my own stereo led mod
    Anyone here have any ideas or suggestions to prevent the theft of an aftermarket double dine?

Has anyone tried making their own "stealth cover" I.e. recessing ur double din and cutting up a factory faceplate to sit in the double din opening and it giving the look of a factory stereo....I have an extra faceplate n may give it a try. I know tinting windows would be a choice Also as I have 20% all the way around w a 20% windshield strip.

Any suggestions are appreciated or am I being to cautious about upgrading..

2. Sep 21, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    I posted pics of the Ranger guys doing it. I plan on doing something similar too. Let me find the thread.

3. Sep 21, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX or College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner V6 Black
    Viper Alarm, In Pro Car Wear L.E.D. Tail Lights, Fog Lights, ScanGuageII, AvidOffroad Light Bar, Ammo Box Mod, Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Satoshi Grill, Hella 500ff behind the grill, blendmount, Cruise Control Mod, Fog Light Mod, 5100's @1.75, Toytec TSB AAL 1.5".
    Razor blade mod. lol

The only thing I can think of is to get some weird shaped bolts to bolt it down. But they are still going to tear everything up trying to get it out, and when they don't they will tear everything else up.

4. Sep 21, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Can't see the pics at work.

5. Sep 21, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    enjm10

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 4x4 Silver Streak
    20% tint all around, 5100s all four corners w rear aal, step bars, windshield visors, foglight anytime mod, front black lip, door emblems blacked out, satoshi grill, avid light bar, dash light mod blue, also did my own stereo led mod

I've heard of other car owners doing it but thought I might give it a try with the truck. My gf just bought me an avh4300 n I wouldn't want it to get stolen not only would I feel bad she would prbly be pretty pissed off as well.

6. Sep 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    enjm10

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 4x4 Silver Streak
    Whippersnapper02

Have u started on this project? I am currently pulling my old faceplate apart to figure out what to cut out. If u have started any ideas would be great.

7. Sep 21, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    No this is just a future mod. I'm thinking I should be able to do the same with a 1st gen Tundra headunit because they are double din and they say Toyota.

8. Sep 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    enjm10

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 4x4 Silver Streak
    Yeah alarm would be good but more on the expensive side of being cautious. Haha I could get a decal that says, "Brinks Home Security." Haha that'd be a theft deterrent!

9. Sep 21, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    enjm10

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 4x4 Silver Streak
    I have my old daceplate all apart with buttons removed but I think I should wait to get an actual dimension on how much to cut off to fit in the opening of the double din dash kit

10. Sep 22, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
  11. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I have 30% tint, not very dark but legal, an alarm that will go off when thunder hits, and a removable face plate on my radio. When I get out I pop off the face plate and put the cord and face under my drivers seat and take my Ipod with me. I don't have anything of huge value in my truck other than my radio stuff which takes some time to get out. Between the removed face plate which is black underneath and my tint you can't tell that there is anything there.

12. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
  13. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    enjm10

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 4x4 Silver Streak
    Yeah too fake it'd be better to put an actual stock headunit of some sort rather then that....good suggestion tho.

14. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    $40 on ebay. Pull the face off and attach it over the aftermarket headunit. I'm going to try to get the dash kit and or stereo that sits in the dash a bit further than normal so I can just put this over it. You might even get lucky finding a broken unit for cheaper or free.

[​IMG]

15. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    enjm10

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 4x4 Silver Streak
    Yeah I was checking em out. Cause u said they were the same size as an aftermarket double din. Ill have to look more.

16. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    I'm about 80% sure they are.

17. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Then you don't have Navi and you get to deal with the stock junk failing after a couple of years. Oh and if you have the JBL it is a pain in the ass to add any kind of sound processor with the stock amp in place.

18. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    Mtek

Mtek Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    TRD S/C Toytec OME 3", TRD Ivan Stewarts, 285 Yokohama
    Not all of us need Navi or are comfortable using our phones. If he is using an Audio Contol l6i, I doubt he is using the factory jbl amp and it is quite easy to use a sound processor at that point.

EDIT: Coastalboy beat me to it.

19. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    enjm10

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 4x4 Silver Streak
    Think it would be hard to hack up an old original tacoma faceplate and drop it in the opening of the new dash kit so it'll look bone stock?? And not with a different stereo head?

20. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    I'd rather have it in the dash so it isn't something else to worry about putting away. Also you don't have to find a spot to mount it when you need it.

The JBL system sounds awesome. That's why I'm not in a hurry to rip it out for aftermarket but I want to in the future because as always I want more. Also I had no choice when I bought my truck. The JBL was part of the TRD packages.

To Top