1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dreaded "thump/clunk"

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by AFBombdude, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Oct 19, 2008 at 11:28 AM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    Considering that I have replaced my springs, it is probably a moot point; however, I am simply curious how they go on, and why I feel like a complete idiot for not being able to figure it out when I had those helper springs...:confused:

Thanks.

2. Oct 23, 2008 at 6:44 PM
    beeser

beeser Active Member

Member:
    I too have the dreaded thump/clunk with my '04 Tacoma Prerunner TRD. The condition did not surface until just recently. I purchased the truck new and it only has about 41k miles. It still has a half year left out of the factory warranty. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the thump/clunk didn't occur until after I started to pull a small travel trailer, which is well within the towing limits of the Tacoma. Could the trailer have anything to do with creating the thump/clunk? I have an appointment with the dealer next week to address the problem. What should I expect them to do about the problem under the warranty?

3. Oct 23, 2008 at 6:47 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i hate to say it, but the stealership will say "oh, thats normal". same as always. probably best thing to do, if they dont do anything(which i dont think they will) is to get a set of helper springs from autozone. this will take care of the problem.....thats the cheapest solution. the more expensive solution, which is what i did when i upgraded my suspension(my stuff was worn slap out) was new rear springs. got mine at wheelers offroad....and they are great.

4. Oct 23, 2008 at 7:11 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    I don't know why but I keep forgetting about posting the pictures.

This is how I mounted them. From the pictures it appears that solid bar under the spring pack is touching the add-ons, it's not. Takes a pretty good dip or bump in the road to make them touch, you hear and feel a thump when they do.

I'm thinking of experimenting with placement, see if I can get just a wee bit more clearance there.

This is before I painted them and the springs, hence the rust showing.

5. Oct 23, 2008 at 8:02 PM
    beeser

beeser Active Member

Member:
    tacomaman06 - Thanks for the heads up and what to possibly expect from the dealership. My logic tells me that if the springs are the problem it should be covered under the factory powertrain warranty. Springs shouldn't wear out in less than 5 years or 60k miles should they?

6. Oct 23, 2008 at 8:09 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    well...to be honest with you, i got my 04 a couple months ago(traded in my 06 for it) with 46k miles on it, and the whole damn suspension was worn out. dealership tried to say everything was normal...which is exactly what i expected them to say........so i did it all myself. but they did replace my worn out steering rack after i went up there raising hell 5 times and found a good tech guy who backed me up. i guarantee you that all first gens have the "axle wrap" characteristic...thats what i call it.,.....they call it something else. good luck to you man, but all in all, you best bet is probably gonna be to get new springs, or just get a set of helper springs, because it would surprise me if the dealer does anything about it. i hate to put it like that man, but thats been my experience.

7. Oct 23, 2008 at 8:19 PM
    beeser

beeser Active Member

Member:
    Thanks again tacomaman06! Hopefully the dealer will make it right but I appreciate knowing that I may have to come up with a solution myself. In defense of the dealer though, they did replace my power steering pump at about 38k miles. Apparently it wasn't part of the powertrain warranty but they did it under what they call "customer satisfaction" work.

8. Oct 23, 2008 at 8:21 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    well....hope it works out for ya man. let us know what the outcome is and what you end up doing.:)

9. Oct 23, 2008 at 8:47 PM
    beeser

beeser Active Member

Member:
    I forgot to ask earlier if the thump/clunk is anything more than annoying. In other words, can it cause any damage to the truck if not corrected?

10. Oct 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    nah......wont really hurt anything. one thing i did, and you can do on your tacoma, is crawl under there and unbolt the drive shaft from the rear end.........clean all the grease and crud out where the slip yoke is(i sanded mine down to remove all the rust, then used anti seize), then put it back together and then grease it. it'll help a little by letting the slipyoke slide, but the rear springs are the main culprit.

11. Oct 23, 2008 at 10:28 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Try greasing the zerks, slipjoint and the u-joint and see if that takes care of it, it may be a temporary fix. If the $tealer won't take care of it just get new leaf packs and be done with it for good. 1st gen Tacos are notorious for axle wrap and shoddy leaf packs are the cause of that.

12. Oct 24, 2008 at 7:29 AM
    beeser

beeser Active Member

Member:
    Since the leaf springs are the root of the problem (thump/clunk) and have flattened because of poor quality, isn't their weight carrying ability reduced as a result? Also, wouldn't the weakened spring also compromise the ability of the truck to support trailer tongue weight? Seems to me that if the truck rides lower in the back because of the weakened spring, the front will as a result ride higher and thus change the overall geometry of the suspension system.

13. Oct 24, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    well, the weight carrying ability may be reduced a bit, but the overload spring is a pretty big thick spring, so that will keep it outta the dangerous territory. the wheelers 5 pack leaf springs i installed on my 04 gave me and extra 1.5 lift in the rear, but its solid now, and im pretty sure the capacity went up some. wheelers has a 4 pack version too.......which is basically "stock height" springs, and they are made by alcan spring, so im pretty sure they are stronger than factory springs anyway.

14. Oct 24, 2008 at 2:27 PM
    beeser

beeser Active Member

Member:
    Well, I got to the dealer earlier than expected. I called for an appointment first and was assured that the thump/clunk could be taken care of under the powertrain warranty. Bottom line, they said there was no TSB for spring replacement for my '04 and regardless, the thump/clunk was instead caused by an improperly adjusted emergency brake and needed service to the drive shaft spline (clean and lube). You guys were right, Toyota would not fix the problem.

15. Nov 15, 2008 at 7:13 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    Say, tacomaman06, I have what might be a stupid question that I should know the answer to, but am not sure...what's the best way to stop the poly bushings in the alcan springs from squeaking their little hearts out? I've been out of the leaf spring world for so long, I can't remember what works best.

Thanks...

16. Nov 15, 2008 at 7:18 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    probably the best thing to do is take the bolt out and run a little anti seize thru the bolt....and if its the side of the bushings that touch the springs, you may wanna pop the bushings back out and apply a little anti seize on the bushings and pop them back in. i used a little of the "grease" that came with the bushings.......but i used anti seize more than anything, and mine havent squeaked once. that may do the trick for you. if you wanna try something without taking the bushings or bolt out....get some pb blaster or some good silicone spray and spray all between the bushings and the frame and drive around for a bit..........that may do the trick.

17. Nov 16, 2008 at 12:03 PM
    Cobra69

Cobra69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taxachusetts (Massachusetts)
    Vehicle:
    02 Tocoma TRD Expedition Setup
    2002 Tacoma TRD Access Cab, Deckplate Mod.,Grey wire Mod.,Cobra CB,Ext. Diff. Breather,E-locker rear only for now,CBI Custom Winch bumper, SAW 2.0, All Pro 5" leaf packs+Bilstiens 5150-10" shocks,Cooper STT 285x75x16 on Wheelers Type B 16x8 rims, Budbuilt front+Mid skid plates, Custom transfer crossmember+skidplate,Trail-Gear sliders,custom roof-rack,Ultimate-air CO2 tank,4-Hella 500 H.I.D. Lights,Atlas 10,000 lbs winch. Custom Half-doors for the summer.
    I installed a budbuilt traction bar on my Taco got rid of the axle wrap. It destroyed my original leaf springs in the back..........when i went to the AllPro Lifted springs I still had it. So to save my new springs I installed the traction bar no more problems and I have NO clearence issues offroad.

18. Apr 3, 2009 at 7:12 AM
    Robbsolid

Robbsolid Zombie Killer

Member:
    ABQ, N.M.
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SuperWhite DBL Cab
    Plastic X'd Flares, deck plate mod, Thrush welded muffler, graphite painted wheels, relocated turn signals, fogs in bumper
    Oh man, first post. I am now on my 2nd Dbl Cab Tacoma. My first one was flawless, but this one i think is getting the axle wrap problem. I once put the helper springs on behind the axle and it helped, but the rear was way too stiff, and yesterday i tried putting them on the top of the spring in the front of the axle. When I was putting it on I noticed "BD" stamped in yellow on the last leaf spring and remembered someone saying if it is stamped "G" then it is the upgraded ones. What the heck is BD? These stupid springs seem to sag, or arch the wrong way. Better off getting new ones?

Thank you

19. Apr 3, 2009 at 8:01 AM
    Robbsolid

Robbsolid Zombie Killer

Member:
    ABQ, N.M.
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SuperWhite DBL Cab
    Plastic X'd Flares, deck plate mod, Thrush welded muffler, graphite painted wheels, relocated turn signals, fogs in bumper
    LMAO. Ive greased that drive shaft so many times, and replaced the front and rear u-joints replaced. would just adding a leaf be ok?

20. Apr 3, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    SRFIVE

SRFIVE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 SR5 AC
    Question: If grease is helping, then doesn't that means you are putting compression in the driveshaft - basically just pumping it up with grease and preventing axle wrap by putting all those forces into the transmission...and rear end? I realize it will work, you can actually lift the rear end of the truck by pumping up that middle alemite fitting of the driveshaft just stopped because I didn't think it was a good idea?

Products Discussed in

To Top