1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dreaming of the island life

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by TakeNoteS, May 19, 2018.

?

Moving to Hawaii

1. Stupid dream?

20.0%
  2. Run?

8.0%
  3. Worth the move?

44.0%
  4. No more people

28.0%
  1. May 19, 2018 at 1:15 PM
    TakeNoteS

TakeNoteS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Kalama Washington
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silver Taco SR5 LB 4X4
    Just got back home (WA) from a vacation to Oahu....

I am ready to move there. I have family that live on the island and as soon as I stepped onto the island I knew I wanted to live there. Locals and the weather was the best part!

What does everyone do for a living? I drive a concrete truck in wa and make 70k/y but I noticed most trucking jobs on the island are garbage pay... which is crazy since the cost of living is higher.

I want to live on the east side! Any advice? Anyone to talk me out of it? Best poke I ever had btw was aloha poke on the west side! I had it everyday almost!!!

Kurupt_hawaiian and ChadsPride like this.
  2. May 19, 2018 at 1:17 PM
    cosmicfires

cosmicfires Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab SR5 4cyl 5speed 4x4
    Snugtop cab high canopy.
    The volcanoes are like a free fireworks show not limited to the 4th of July and New Year's Eve. Should be exciting.

3. May 19, 2018 at 1:19 PM
    TakeNoteS

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Kalama Washington
    Vehicle:
    Ehh the big island is having some issues but it’s not affecting the other islands. In fact 50pct of Hawaii tourism got hit since people think the entire state is on fire but it’s just not true lol

trdtacomahi likes this.
  4. May 19, 2018 at 3:15 PM
    LittleLady808

LittleLady808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kauai,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prerunner SR5 2.7l
    So Oahu is your island choice? Yes, cost of living is definatley high that’s why a lot of locals move to the mainland! Lol ... I’m not even sure if you could find a job that pays in the same ball park even for the same type of job. Sad but true. I wish jobs paid higher since we pay more to live in Hawaii! Go figure! :rolleyes:

trdtacomahi and ChadsPride like this.
  5. May 19, 2018 at 3:16 PM
    flipnidaho

flipnidaho Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    I almost bought in the Big Island a few years ago. Beautiful island, beautiful people.

6. May 19, 2018 at 3:19 PM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    I visited Maui last year and instantly wanted to live there. The Toyota game over there is sick!

Unfortunately, it's a life out of my means currently.

I say go for it, live your dream!

doorsidedown and LittleLady808 like this.
  7. May 19, 2018 at 3:22 PM
    LittleLady808

Member:
    Kauai,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prerunner SR5 2.7l
    I agree! You never know until you try! Unlike me, I missed my chance and shoulda,woulda,coulda ya know? Now I can only wonder about the “what if’s”. If you want it go for it. WA will always be there and if it didnt work out you could always go back. :)

8. May 19, 2018 at 3:23 PM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    yo man looking for Adventure! https://static.next-episode.net/tv-shows-images/huge/ice-road-truckers.jpg

ChadsPride likes this.
  9. May 19, 2018 at 3:37 PM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    Lived on Oahu for 3 years and came to hate it, sure its cool for the first six months but after that it starts to get old. As far as the locals go, if your not a pacific islander expect to be treated like shit, some places on Oahu you better not even set foot on if your not a local.

10. May 19, 2018 at 9:56 PM
    LittleLady808

Member:
    Kauai,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prerunner SR5 2.7l
    :eek: I’m a local and I do not treat people bad! Not all local people are bad and it would be the same as if a local moved to the mainland! And for the record, there is good and bad every where not just in the islands. Heck there’s some places I don’t even go and I’m born and raised here and no I am not native Hawaiian.o_O

El Duderino, trdtacomahi and rkarabao like this.
  11. May 19, 2018 at 10:09 PM
    TakeNoteS

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Kalama Washington
    Vehicle:
    Yeah everyone I came in contact with were more friendly and easy going then any stranger I have ran into on the mainland. And I have lived in az,CA,WA

It’s different lifestyle and I can tell I fit in perfectly.

rkarabao likes this.
  12. May 19, 2018 at 10:18 PM
    1DVS-BSTD

1DVS-BSTD is probably confused

Member:
    Idiot Land
    Vehicle:
    '03 TRD Off-Road
    881's, Nitrochargers, Dakars, SR8's, Duratracs
    I’ve always thought living on some exotic island would be cool. If only I could get paid to sit on a beach drinking hurricanes. :laughing:

I say why not. If you have the means and won’t be stretching yourself thin, go for it. Sometimes a little risk can be worth it. And like others have said if it doesn’t work out, you can always head somewhere else.

Edit: also, maybe someone will correct me, but I don’t believe you can pass down “owned” property to family if you aren’t a native. Just something to think about. Unless I’m wrong...which happens often.

13. May 20, 2018 at 1:57 AM
    LittleLady808

Member:
    Kauai,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prerunner SR5 2.7l
    Huh? Lol well let’s see, if it’s hawaiian homelands (there are certain areas specified) only actual native Hawaiians can purchase that land therefore that can be passed down to family. Any where else can be purchased by any nationality!

14. May 20, 2018 at 3:58 AM
    Solesource684

Solesource684 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island, HI
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DC 4x4 MT
    I live on the Big Island. Pros/cons just like anywhere else. Oahu is so congested w/ people and traffic is a nightmare. I'll stick to my open roads, less people and active volcano here on the Big Island . The lava is currently affecting a small area at the moment. I personally would've never bought land in the area that is affected, but it is sad to see homes destroyed and families displaced.

If I had no choice but to live on Oahu. I'd prefer North Shore side away from Waikiki and more Island style. If you wanna move to Oahu, I'd say more than likely you'd take up to a 50% pay cut and pay a ridiculous mortgage or rent along w/ cost of living. I just saw a one bedroom studio in the downtown Honolulu area for like 1300/month and well Oahu can keep their outrageous cost of living. I pay that much for a 3 bedroom 2 bath here on the Big Island.

I say go for it, if it's within your means. Why the hell not.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    bullaculla and rkarabao like this.
  15. May 20, 2018 at 4:24 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    That's a $45k job around here. For an experienced hand.

Always consider the total cost of living at a place you are looking at. It actually takes some work to dig out all the numbers and come up with something meaningful for your circumstance.

If you can figure out what it would really cost you to live in Hi, and what you could actually earn, you can determine if you can afford it.

16. May 20, 2018 at 4:52 AM
    airsavage

airsavage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Butch
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Sport 4x4 MGM, 2000 Prerunner
    I lived on Oahu for 4 years and loved it there:thumbsup:. Met and made some great friends:thumbsup:. Seemed like people either loved it or hated ito_O. Those who loved it were the type who would be happy anywhere. Most of those who were unhappy realized that they could not hop in the car and drive over to see mommy:angrygirl:. All of this is from a military point of view. I say go for it and enjoy here's one to ya:cheers:

trdtacomahi likes this.
  17. May 20, 2018 at 7:10 AM
    1DVS-BSTD

1DVS-BSTD is probably confused

Member:
    Idiot Land
    Vehicle:
    '03 TRD Off-Road
    881's, Nitrochargers, Dakars, SR8's, Duratracs
    I just remember being told something about non-natives not being able to pass down property that they own. Could be way wrong though lol. I’d have to clarify with the one that told me. :oops:

Either way Hawaii would be a neat place to live. Certainly beats where I live...

18. May 20, 2018 at 7:13 AM
    coma toy

coma toy Off Road Taco

Member:
    Do it, do it!

19. May 20, 2018 at 7:16 AM
    okichewy1

okichewy1 Just chuggin' along!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Kimberly, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB TRD Sport Quicksand
    Ultra Flex bed cover, TRD PRO Grille, 32" LED light under grille, Pop n' Lock on tailgate, OCD organizer for center console and glove box, LED bed lights, OEM bed mat, black TACOMA tailgate letters, LED illumination light package, black vinyl overlays for badges, OEM bed step, plasti-dipped front valance and mirrors, 15% tinted windows and sun strip, vinyl letters on dash, vinyl letters on tailgate handle and door sill protectors, TRD Pro shift knob, home-link rear view mirror, mountain vinyl decal above Tacoma on door, FN FX pro wheels, AVS bug deflector, AVS in-channel window vents, front bed rail, red line hood struts, LED interior lights, TRD Pro skid plate, slim line front license plate holder, CaliRaised LED Ditch light brackets with LED lights, Bilstein 5100's, OME 888's, Dakar HD leaf springs, cubby covers, CaliRaised LED Fog light kit,
    The wife and I are planning on buying a house on The Big Island still. If you have been there and explored the entire island, you know that the volcano erupting is down in the SE area of the island. We were looking at the west side (maybe SW) area for property. We planned on buying now and using it as a retirement house when I hit retirement in 14 years. Love the island life. When I was in the Marines, we lived in Okianwa, Japan for 7 years. Island life is so awesome, weather is great year around. The Big Island is also no so populated like Oahu is. I hate crowded areas.

20. May 20, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top