1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drift handle?? Hydraulic e-brake for drifting a taco?

Discussion in 'X-Runners' started by ninja89, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Jul 22, 2015 at 3:07 AM
    ninja89

ninja89 [OP] HUH?

Member:
    i know I'm not the only one who's been thinking about this but, has anybody ever posted a thread/video/ anything about a vertically mounted e brake handle(hydraulic or cable) on a taco?!! Just like rally drivers and such.. I have a 6 speed and I'm really itching to get one installed in my taco but, I have no clue where to start! The dash mounted "t-handle style" e brake is kinda annoying when u wanna whip side ways on a corner. I know there's ways to drift a taco with out the help of an e-brake...but I just really like the idea of a vertically mounted "drift handle" as I call it. I don't know if I should just do cables or convert to hydraulic (still have no idea where to start). I found some videos and I'll post them right below.. One is on a long travel taco (auto) and one is on a X-runner (drift car). Please share ur opinions my fellow taco people!!! Here's the videos

http://youtu.be/3yDvjOX1KNQ
    Ull see it mounted on the passenger side (green handle) & 1:02 mark in the video clip

http://youtu.be/pzMEVwBkBPM
    This ones a the x-runner... Pretty cool drift by the way

So please any infor about parts/mods or anything would help a lot thanks!!

2. Jul 22, 2015 at 4:10 AM
    PapaBear

PapaBear Never test how deep the water is with both feet.

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB PR 4.0... Aaaand she’s GONE
    Soft Suspension Hard Rubber ®
    ninja89[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 22, 2015 at 4:12 AM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    OMG here we go with the dual thread BS...

Rock Lobster likes this.
  4. Jul 22, 2015 at 1:33 PM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    Im planning on doing a hydraulic in the next couple of months. Gonna do the lift first, then do added extras like a 52in white 500watt curved led light bar, and i should finally get around to doing this. If you start on it, hit me up would love to see it. Where you located?

5. Jul 22, 2015 at 1:40 PM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    Already been there but good link. Ive had too many bad run ins with x runner owners, including 2 being arrested for some *cough* bad shit, but i wont elaborate on that. It seems easy enough to add one, just have to have the time and patience to do it.

6. Jul 22, 2015 at 3:13 PM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    In all the vehicles ive drove, i have never not had a hand ebrake, even if it meant adding one in. Ive just been busy and havent had the time to do it in my taco. Its a very useful tool, can get you out of dangerous situations if you use it correctly... in the case of the j turn, or formly know as the "Rockford". Also if you practice alot, like i do, the bootleg turn is so fun.

7. Jul 22, 2015 at 3:44 PM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    Of course you could do that... do the same with my lsd. Just always been taught on an ebrake for everything. + you can do it at high speeds, taco doesnt have enough tq to whip the rear at 75...

8. Sep 2, 2020 at 5:44 AM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Ive been thinking about this for a while myself. The biggest hurdle is building the bracketry for the extra rear brake caliper, a hydro handbrake needs a dedicated caliper. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to make the bracket itself, its more getting a truck to take apart and get all the necessary measurements. You would need a one piece back plate with 4 holes drilled to mount to the axle, and then two sections coming off in opposite directions for mounting each caliper with two threaded holes on each section, or two through holes and some nice hardware. The backing plate part is easy, but the outer sections would need the proper offset for whatever rotor you plan to use. Here is a rudimentary paint drawing to get the idea across:untitled.jpg

9. Sep 2, 2020 at 5:51 AM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Also, that prerunner does not have a hydro handbrake just for the record. It has a manual T-case shifter with a green handle on it.

10. Sep 2, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    hemitruk

hemitruk Old man , young boi truk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab Sport,
    A few
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020

Products Discussed in