1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drive line noise in 1st gear

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 6spdtaco, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jun 8, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    I just started noticing a slight "clunking" that I can hear within the cab and also feel a little through the floor/firewall.

Back story(possibly completely unrelated):
    I installed my new TC UCAs on saturday. Didn't drive it at all until Tuesday when I drove the 1.3 miles to Tire Rama to get an alignment done. On the drive down there, never exceeding 25 mph or shifting above 2nd gear, I didn't feel/hear/notice any problems. After picking up the truck and driving it around a few miles, again not above 25mph and maybe in 3rd gear once I started noticing the issue. I thought "shit, must have not tightened something back up".

In first gear, just when starting from a stop, before shifting, I can hear/feel the problem at hand. I can't decide if I can notice it in 2nd gear, and definitely can't notice anything in 3rd gear.

I jacked up the front end of the truck and have been trying to detect the problem. With the wheels locked, I can pull side to side on either tire and hear the clunk. Pulling top to bottom results in no movement or noises.
    Everything is torqued properly. The wheel bearings, CVs, and steering parts seem fine. Drive shafts are tight. The noise/clunk seems to be coming from around the transmission area. What the heck could it be?
    Did something completely unrelated to my new UCAs happen around the same time as when I installed them?

***Update***
    After driving it more than a few miles today I can better describe the noise and frequency. Complete stop, just starting in first gear, for the first few feet. Clunk-clunk--clunk, and then gone. I think I noticed it slightly in 2nd gear when accelerating from a nearly complete stop. I can't tell if it is rotational noise or if it is the jerking back from initial acceleration.

2. Jun 8, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    lots of grease and all appropriate hardwear in the right order.

3. Jun 9, 2011 at 6:46 AM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    morning bump

4. Jun 9, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    Bozeman....aahh shit! I haven't been home for 17 years! How is that place now days? I remember it like yesterday.

5. Jun 9, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    Did you just buy your truck? Your problem seems like the typical 6 speed shifting drama...unless it is a new "clunk".

Driving this transmission has re-trained me on how to drive a manual...it's weird as hell.

I had one issue just recently with an old clutch witch I just recently replaced. When I clutched in it would slip for a bit and then CLUNK...it would grab and the truck would almost jump as it took off from the line. I replaced and it was gone.

EDIT:

:rofl:Forget what I just wrote, I read your post again and missed the bottom....I have no clue!! That is interesting.:rofl:

6. Jun 10, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Thanks for trying to help, but I don't want to get caught up in talking about unrelated stuff. If you want to chat about Bozeman, search for the Montana Taco thread. Lots of chit chat over there.

Anyone else want to help me diagnose this problem?

7. Jun 10, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Just stopped by the dealership. Asked if the service manager could take a quick drive around the parking lot to help diagnose the noise. They wanted to schedule me an appointment for next thursday. I made it perfectly clear I didn't want them to touch my truck or fix whatever it might be. I told the guy I would just go figure it out myself. Priceless look on his face as I drove away.

8. Jun 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Has anyone ever heard of noise caused by the uniball UCAs?

9. Jun 10, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Most "Clunk" sounds are caused from not tightening the lower control arm, where it connects to the lower spindle, to the correct torque value. Start with that. IIRC, it needs to be 118 lbs-ft.

10. Jun 10, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Problem solved. What sounded like a clunk inside the cabin was bushing squeak outside. I managed to find a good pothole filled dirt road and slowly drove down it with my head out the window. The squeak got worse and worse. I guess the grease must have worked itself around and the bushings found some dry metal to rub against.

11. Dec 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    misterdmac

misterdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
    Excellent news. Cheapest easiest fix = no fix :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top