1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drive, S5, S4

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Hockeymc3, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Jun 22, 2017 at 3:53 PM
    Hockeymc3

Hockeymc3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White Tacoma Off-Road
    I was reading a post the other and it may have mis lead me, but do you know if the automatic shifting profile changes depending on which mode your in? So does Drive shift the same as S5?

2. Jun 22, 2017 at 4:55 PM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    Lots of threads on this, but in summary:

D is an algorithmic mode that learns from your driving habits (poorly in my experience) and then adjusts shift points automatically to match your driving style while also striving for the best possible fuel economy.
    ECT with increase the space between shift points, which will get you into the 3,000RPM space where the power in the truck actually exists easier but may have a (negligible in my experience) impact on fuel
    S-modes are primarily a gear limiter. For me I use S4 or S5 when I'm driving in city traffic and don't want it to jump to 6th going 20 mph and subsequently bogging down. As we understand it, when you are in S (Sport) mode, it no longer is relying on it's "learning" and sticks to hard coded shift points rather than what it "learns" from you.

I drive primarily in ECT and S4 through 6 depending on whether I'm in the city, mountains, or interstate. Best driving experience IMO though I'll occasionally throw it back into D in the rare case I'm on a flat stretch of interstate doing 70 and could see the MPG benefit.

these 2 modes work well together imo

3. Jun 22, 2017 at 8:05 PM
    Hockeymc3

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    That's a lot of good information man. Thank you? One question I do have is that I've read on here multiple times that the transmission learns but other than on here, I can't find any documentation that supports it. So I guess what I am saying is how does everyone know this? Where does Toyota say the transmission is adaptive?

4. Jun 23, 2017 at 5:12 AM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    It mentions it in the owners manual but as far as specifics go, there's not much available.... it's wizardry that has no explanation :) But seriously, if anyone had cracked the code on "drive this exact pattern and you will net this kind of "learning" a lot of folks would be manipulating the shift points themselves. As it is, no real clue how it learns aside from it trying to irk every bit of efficiency from it... often at the sake of enjoyable performance....

CusterFan likes this.
  5. Jun 23, 2017 at 5:57 AM
    Hockeymc3

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Haha ok. I have not checked my manual yet.

6. Jun 23, 2017 at 6:35 AM
    Scooby24

Scooby24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    I just pop it in S6 because I want it to be able to use all 6 gears. I find the shift profile is very good and it never goes into 6th when I don't want it to. In the rare occasion it drops to 6th early, it's very fast to go back to 5th with the slightest input, so I'm not bogging.

It's somewhat annoying having to pop it into s mode and hit the shifter up two times every time I start the truck, but it's become mostly habit now...and by doing so with combination of ECT, I no longer give the shifting characteristics much thought. I just drive it.

7. Jun 23, 2017 at 7:17 AM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Same. I'm adapting... I still occasionally take off in D and forget to hit ECT, move shift lever left, then up twice... but the way I look at it, it's still a hell of a lot less "work" than having to drive a manual (esp. in city driving!). I've tried multiple times to get it to learn my driving habits in D but it has an affinity for finding the worst possible configuration and assuming you LOVE IT...

CusterFan likes this.
  8. Jun 23, 2017 at 8:25 PM
    Austin09

Austin09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin tx
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red TRD access can LB
    T-Rex grill with black bezel. Blacked out all the badges and added the Tacoma on the tail gate. The windows have been tinted to the darkest law will allow.
    Leave it in S-5 and only shift in 6 when you hit 75. Then you won't have the problem of bogging down as much. IMO

CusterFan likes this.
  9. Jun 23, 2017 at 8:37 PM
    Pittrider

Pittrider Pitty, those needing correction.

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    Do you need to know, or care?
    I knock it into S on hills most times, works for me. Drops it into 4th and keeps revs up enough not to bog down. After cresting hill, I just plunk it back into D. Works ok most times. Most noticeable to me is in the 35mph range, where the truck feels like a dog. So ECT if I feel I need more power.

10. Jun 23, 2017 at 8:44 PM
    TejasTaco

TejasTaco Grab a taco

Member:
    This is pretty much how I operate, too. I do wonder if my truck is learning anything other than "this fucker like to drive fast".

I would say out of the 1200 miles I have put on it in the month I've had it, 1100 miles or more have been with ECT enabled. I hope it learns that. :D

tcjacado likes this.
  11. Jun 23, 2017 at 8:50 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    It doesn't I am afraid. I have 14k on mine and she is still a dumb bitch.

TejasTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jun 23, 2017 at 8:58 PM
    TejasTaco

TejasTaco Grab a taco

Member:
    Well, as long as you press the right button and she performs, that's all you can ask of your bitch.

:amen:

Products Discussed in

To Top