1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drive Shaft Center Support Bearing Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by logo803, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Feb 25, 2015 at 5:11 PM
    logo803

logo803 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Columbia
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD DblCab
    Just bought my first Taco ('05, seems very stock) a few weeks ago since the good old days in high school. So needless to say I'm new to TW. Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place

In the past week, I've been hearing a rather abrupt squealing coming from my truck at low end acceleration. After some research here on TW, I've determined that my center support bearing is going bad and starting to sag, causing the squeal when the drive shaft starts turning/vibrating and rubbing on the rubber. Now I've found a few threads/video's showing, pretty clearly, how to replace this bearing, but... My drive shaft seems to be different than those videos. There is no flange to separate the shaft between the bearing, but only another U-Joint..

Here's a crappy picture that I drew on my computer because I'm in college and currently "studying" in the library, and it's crapping rain outside so I didn't want to lay in a puddle to take it..

[​IMG]

I've got all of the parts and I'm going to embark on this tomorrow, rain or shine, but I am just hoping to get some incite on what I'm dealing with here.

Is there possibly another "yolk" on the opposite side of the U-Joint (towards the front of the truck).
    Or should the brackets for the U-Joint be removable?

There just doesn't appear to be any direction for the bearing to slide off.

Thanks Fellas in advance, from what I've seen so far you all seem very helpful.

2. Feb 25, 2015 at 5:54 PM
    posseejesse

posseejesse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Aiken, S.C.
    Vehicle:
    2013 white dcsb sport 4x4
    Sock monkey retro decals Egr visors Black front emblem Window tint all around Moto-bed extender debadged destination MT's 265/17's weather tech floor mats 3" Icon Coilovers Light Racing Uca's Dakar Springs Rear Icon shocks
    Welcome to tacoma world brother!!! Cannot really help you much on the project but I can guarantee you that your in the right place now to get it figured out. Without looking myself yet, have you looked in the mod and tutorials section for your answers. I'll try to help you after I get off this 17 hr shift I am currently doing. Good to see a family member on here.

3. Feb 25, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    Separate the ujoint and follow this video up to the 2:40 mark

Edit to add: if it were me, I would get three new ujoints and replace everything while you have it apart. Genuine Spicer joints can be had for ~$20 each at a drive line shop. Toyota dealer will want ~$80 for the same exact yhing

Driveshaft 103 - Replacing carrier bearings: http://youtu.be/JurluoSxJHI

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  4. Feb 25, 2015 at 6:44 PM
    logo803

logo803 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Columbia
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD DblCab
    This is awesome. Thank you sir. Yeah, I bought all 3 though. Might as well go all in

5. Feb 25, 2015 at 6:58 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    No problem! Make sure you mark the shaft at all three ujoints and the yoke before you go pulling things apart (mark it on the truck, so you can mark the output of t-case and third member flange) so that everything goes back together exactly as it came apart. The shaft is balanced as a unit from the factory. If you get it back together out of phase you're gonna have a bad time (vibrations).

6. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:03 PM
    RockinRivi

RockinRivi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ventura County
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    I'm digging your artwork…

7. Feb 28, 2015 at 12:42 AM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    Great drawing.

I think the squeal is the U joint. Definitely replace them as well.

You can separate the driveshaft at the spline part (dont know the name) and then take the front half to a work bench.

8. Feb 28, 2015 at 4:43 AM
    Base Camp

Base Camp Instagram: @willismtc

Member:
    First Name:
    Willis
    Roanoke, VA
    Vehicle:
    '14 Base Model 4x4
    Some Serious MSPaint skills...;) ... Goodluck OP. Post back results.

9. Mar 4, 2015 at 8:25 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    subed, I think I have the same problem

10. Apr 17, 2015 at 5:47 AM
    awolo

awolo Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Medina, OH
    Vehicle:
    05' DCSB TRD Sport SR5
    My center support rubber is weak, and allows the drive shaft to move around.

Im pretty sure this is why I have a weird vibration at 38-42mph.

AWESOME VIDEO!

Thank you TW!

Products Discussed in

To Top