1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driveline Angles at Carrier Bearing

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rollin904, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Mar 18, 2018 at 1:54 PM
    rollin904

rollin904 [OP] Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Been annoyed with my take off vibrations lately so I finally crawled under the truck and measured my angles. My rear shaft at 6.4 degrees and my front shaft is at 6.3 degrees. The rear joint at the diff is roughly 2.9 degrees and the front joint at the transfer case is rough 3.2-3.5 (couldn't get a great measurement on these angles using my phone).

My understanding is that I want my rear u joint (6.4-2.9=3.5 degrees) to equal the carrier bearing joint (6.4-6.3=0.1 degrees). I have the OME carrier bearing drop in and 3.5 degree shims on my leaf packs. Will removing my carrier bearing drop get my angles to the point where they would cancel out?

meat_wallet likes this.
  2. Mar 18, 2018 at 2:15 PM
    rollin904

rollin904 [OP] Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    So I popped out my carrier bearing drop and remeasured. My front shaft is now at 2.9 and my rear at 4.8, making my carrier bearing joint 1.9 degrees and my rear u joint at 1.9 degrees. I'll test drive and see how it feels, technically the two should be equal now.

Edit: Just drove my ~45 mile commute this morning and vibrations are almost completely gone! Don't know why I procrastinated on this so long, downloaded the free inclinometer and it took maybe 30 minutes to fix.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    meat_wallet likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top