1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driveline fluids at 30K

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ColoradoTom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Jan 25, 2017 at 3:01 PM
    ColoradoTom

ColoradoTom [OP] Team Velveeta™

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab
    Just had my mechanic do plugs and driveline in honor of my truck's first 30K. I know I could do it myself, but, I didn't. My mechanic is an old friend and he hasn't seen much of my business since I got such a reliable vehicle a couple years ago.

So here's the thing: he told me the transfer case oil was like new. Rear diff was what he would expect from 30K. Front Diff was almost black. What do yinz think about that? Typical? I'm wondering if I should up the service interval for my front diff.

Has anybody seen variation between front and rear diff oil wear?

2. Jan 25, 2017 at 4:57 PM
    Dens71TA

Dens71TA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 ACLB 4x4 2.7L A4
    I think the darkness in the gear lube on the first change is from the assembly lube and gear teeth paint from setting up the differential. I changed the differential fluids on my truck around 7K miles and it was dark. At 30K miles I changed them again and it still looked new. I'm probably going to wait until 100K miles for the next service.

Pickeledpigsfeet likes this.
  3. Jan 25, 2017 at 9:19 PM
    Gandalf

Gandalf Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2014 AC TRD offroad
    Arb bumper, OME 886/dakars 265/75r16 ko2s
    I changed the oil in my front diff yesterday at 27k and it was black and the drain plug had 1/8th of an inch of metal muck on it. All other gearboxes are clean, must just be the nature of the beast???

4. Jan 25, 2017 at 9:30 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    This mirrors my experience, and I think it's pretty standard/normal.

5. Jan 25, 2017 at 9:38 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    I changed mine at 30k as well. Front differential and transfer case was like new. Rear was a littler dark. I hardly use 4wd though.

6. Jan 26, 2017 at 1:58 AM
    Doug2000

Doug2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7L
    I changed mine at 80k to Mobile1 Synthetic, an older guy I work with asked why I wasted my money, his Tacoma has over 250k on it and he's only ever changed the engine oil. He said there's no heat and there for no breakdown of the oil, he also noted he's never replaced a reared or diff.

7. Jan 26, 2017 at 5:48 AM
    dirtdigginjoe

dirtdigginjoe Resident meth-head

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Paco The Turbo Taco
    GTX 3071r @8psi...
    Just did all my fluids last night (F/R diff, TCase, and MT). Rear diff was fairly dark, Tcase was light brown almost looking new, and Front diff was nearly black. Manual trans wasn't terrible, mostly brownish. The smell is what gets ya! I replaced all my fluids with Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90, FWIW

8. Jan 26, 2017 at 5:50 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Has he ever measured the temperature in his differentials? Temps, especially in the rear, can easily exceed engine oil temps. Dino oils run hotter than synthetics. The little 8" ring & pinion in the Tacoma really gets worked hard by the 4.0L. Aside from all that, the long chain molecules in oil that make them slippery and provide the oil film thickness needed to protect the gears, breaks down due to shearing forces, not just heat. Shearing forces in a gear box can be enormous.

Lots of people consider their gear boxes to be sealed units. Some go many miles. Some die early. Fresh oil is cheap, easy insurance.

dirtdigginjoe likes this.
  9. Jan 26, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    jasonct

jasonct Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150, C7 Grand Sport
    In mine with about 26,000 miles (I bought it used with about 25,500 on it) the front diff was the nastiest looking, Transfer case looked nearly new and the rear diff gear oil had some wear to it.

10. Jan 26, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

LOL.... obviously the guy has never seen a truck in the rain where the center pumpkin is dry due to evaporating all the water off.

I changed my rear diff at 5k miles... the break in oil was N A S T Y. Front diff got about a half change of fluid when i did my front diff bushing at 9k miles it was OK looking. Trans, tcase, front and rear diff will all get changed at 60k miles, so sometime at the end of this coming up summer.

11. Jan 26, 2017 at 8:34 AM
    fla_sun

fla_sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4X4 AC 4.0 Auto
    That is the kind of person I avoid when buying a used vehicle.

My oil changes were what most here said, break in oil black and replacement oil looking like new.

12. Jan 26, 2017 at 9:43 AM
    ColoradoTom

ColoradoTom [OP] Team Velveeta™

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab
    Since 1991 I have bought 5 new vehicles and 3 used ones. Every damn time I buy used I regret it.

If you're looking at a used vehicle and it's obvious that the tires haven't ever been rotated, run do not walk away. That's a clear sign the vehicle was only ever serviced when the oil light came on. Buy one from the guy (or woman) who has every service receipt ever and the window sticker. Or just go get a new one.

SoCalSteve likes this.
  13. Jan 26, 2017 at 10:53 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I change diffs at 30k. Noticed that front was darker than rear. I change tcase at 50k and fluid looked new. Unless you are running a hell of a lot of mile in 4wd I see no need to change it.

ColoradoTom[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top