1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

driveline vibration fix write up..................may work for you too.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by tacomaman06, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Jan 27, 2015 at 5:27 AM
    SSTX

SSTX Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    NE Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4 Blue Ribbon
    N-Fab Nerf Bars, Undercover Flex tonneau cover, Weathertechs, tailgate and receiver hitch locks matched to factory ignition key.
    My 2013 DCSB Sport 4x4 (19k miles, all stock, original tires) is at the dealer today for the same issues. Minor takeoff shudder, driveline vibration anywhere between 40-80mph that's bad enough to blur images in the rear view mirrors. First trip to Toyota service they formally acknowleged the vibration was there and was abnormal, so I guess I lucked out there. Their initial attempt at a fix doesn't sound very encouraging, new rear leaf springs under warranty and they had to order an inclinometer to check/reset the pinion angle? I guess we'll see this afternoon.....I still suspect the u-joints/carrier bearing.

ETA - The service writer has already used the old "some of this vibration is a normal characteristic" line.........

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. Feb 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM
    shelby0113

shelby0113 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    shelby
    dover, PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD sport
    2.25" leveling kit
    I got a vibration or grinding type noise bout 35-45mph after installing a 2.5" leveling kit. Any ideas on the fix for this

3. Feb 15, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    Yota Man

Yota Man Taco enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport Storm Trooper
    3" Revtech leveling kit, 17x9 XD Revolvers on 275/70/R17 BFG K02s, smoked mirror signals, Spyder tail lights with aftermarket tint, Bulletproof Fabricating grill, debadged everything, trifecta tonneau cover, Flowmaster 40 series cat back exhaust with 4'' MBRP exhaust tip, Black headlight mod and tint, L.E.D. reverse, license, and all interior lights, AJT shifter, more to come.
    Yeah. Everything thats Been talked about on this thread lol throw some spacers on ur carrier bearing

4. Mar 3, 2015 at 10:20 PM
    Big Tea

Big Tea WOOOOOOO!!!

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    So I'm in the same boat as a lot of others posting in this thread, wanting to do a lift but reluctant bc of the driveline vibration issue that may/may not rear it's ugly head. So while searching for videos of installations, came across this gem from Weber State University (WSU) - Automotive Technology Department.

So although its a long video (11:26), this guy explains how to measure pinion angles and how to diagnose if you need to add anything (shims, CB drops). I'd say it's a pretty good starting point for anyone.

If you're stock and have vibrations, measure the angles and see if you're within Toyota tolerances. And although the instructor uses a Tundra, I'd hazard a guess the tolerances are fairly similar.

My apologies if this has been posted before somewhere on TW. It was brand new to me.

http://youtu.be/f1m-Fh5kiRU

EB Group likes this.
  5. Mar 7, 2015 at 9:25 PM
    border411

border411 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just subscribed. Helped my buddy buy a 2013 TRD OR and the driveline shudders from 10-20mph while on the gas good. I was telling him all about this issue, so we used it to get the dealer to drop the price.

6. Sep 15, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    TucTaco520

TucTaco520 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    It's a dry heat
    Vehicle:
    11 Hooptie
    OME 90000s+887s, LR UCAs. AllPro Expos + 5100. KM Fab hybrid sliders w/kickout. KM Fab bed rack. 48" hi-lift. 16" FJ Trail Team wheels. 285/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs. Magnaflow cat-back. K&N filter. TRD short-throw shifter. Murdered out via plasti-derp front grille and rear bumper. LED interior. De-badged tailgate. Rock lights (7). G2V 3x2 ditch lights.
    People who have experienced these vibrations: where do you feel it? gas pedal and steering wheel? at certain speeds or all?

7. Sep 15, 2015 at 1:29 PM
    HAVVOKK

HAVVOKK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
  8. Sep 15, 2015 at 4:19 PM
    SoCal Hillbilly

SoCal Hillbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB
    The only thing he doesnt address is adding or subtracting the angles. If they are down you add if up then subtract. In my case the DS is down and the pinion is up.

In the floor board for me.

9. Sep 19, 2015 at 3:38 PM
    Tectonic

Tectonic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCSB 4wd
    Bilstein 5100 all around OME 884 Wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf progressive aal 255/75r17 Hankook Dynapro ATM ARE camper shell Hella Sharptones (4)
    Worked great for me! I cut four pieces of 1/4 inch and stacked them 2 on each side. Solved my ~55mph vibration after my AAL install. Someone else mentioned it, but 3/8" hole size was too small for me, had to go 7/16"

UPDATE: DID NOT work for me. Just changed the harmonic frequency of the vibration (vibrates at different speeds now). Considering scrapping the AAL that caused all of this after reading numerous threads on the toils of driveline vibrations. I'd rather revert back to stock (TSB) and save my time, money, sanity, and drive train... :bananadead:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    SoCal Hillbilly likes this.
  10. Oct 7, 2015 at 9:16 PM
    Tac0maSteve

Tac0maSteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off Road Icon Ext. Travel
    DCSB... No mods here
  11. Oct 9, 2015 at 4:16 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    Already did this a few months ago.

12. Nov 7, 2015 at 12:12 PM
    TheGrayRider

TheGrayRider MARANATHA !!!

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP DC 4X4 OR
    While changing the u-joints on my truck I found that although the carrier bearing looked serviceable I heard a grinding noise when I spun the CB by hand. The bearing looks like it's not centered in the carrier also.

I still have vibes that I feel in the seat and floorboard. I checked the front wheel bearings for play and didn't notice anything. I don't feel vibes in the steering wheel. I have a Deaver 2" AAL and I tried the CB drop kit but no change.

New carrier bearing ordered

Any other ideas anyone?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  13. Dec 3, 2015 at 8:54 PM
    SSTX

SSTX Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    NE Texas
    Vehicle:
    N-Fab Nerf Bars, Undercover Flex tonneau cover, Weathertechs, tailgate and receiver hitch locks matched to factory ignition key.
    Thought I'd (belatedly) update my January post.............the replacement springs lost me an inch of ride height and have no arch left already, but did 99% eliminate the takeoff shudder I was experiencing. The vibration is now confined to the 60-75mph range, but same intensity as before. The truck now has 31k on the odometer, and 10k on Cooper 265/70-17 AT3 6-ply (which have their own problems). Truck is going back to the dealer on Tuesday for them to take another shot at the vibration issue. The service writer tried his same shenanigans, claiming he would be told the vibration is just a normal characteristic of the truck, until I reminded him they already accepted the issue as abnormal with the original work in January. I officially have no confidence that I will see any satisfaction out of the dealer, the only one for 50 miles around. Apart from the vibration issue, I've been well satisfied with the truck and already have it paid off. I can no longer, however, tolerate the vibration and will end up trading the truck if the problem cannot be resolved by the local dealer. And it won't be for another Toyota product.................

14. Dec 4, 2015 at 5:13 PM
    TheGrayRider

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP DC 4X4 OR
    I'm running these tires .... What problems are you talking about ? Changed CB and all 3 ujoints and tried the OME CB drop with varying thicknesses and the vibes only get worse and never go away ... The vibes are a new development after 20K miles on the AT 3s

15. Dec 4, 2015 at 8:24 PM
    SSTX

SSTX Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    NE Texas
    Vehicle:
    One tire replaced as out-of-round when originally installed. The belts move around A LOT, takes 5-10 miles of driving for them to quit shaking and smooth out after sitting cold for a while. My commute to work is only 5 miles, so I get to enjoy my steering wheel shaking both ways every day for my full drive to and from work (especially in cold weather). Discount Tire gets their shot at the tires tomorrow morning, we'll see how they react to my invitation to experience it for themselves.

The whole situation is just really sad. I bought the truck with the expectation it would provide many years/miles of reliable service with normal maintainence, not as a mechanical project. Been there, done that with muscle cars in the '70's. OTOH, suspension replacement and a one-piece driveshaft may likely be less expensive than trading vehicles.

16. Dec 4, 2015 at 8:34 PM
    TheGrayRider

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP DC 4X4 OR
    I'm going to check air pressure and look the tires over tomorrow. Have to figure this out. I have an hour drive to work and its past aggravating. Tires need balancing at least

17. Dec 8, 2015 at 5:39 PM
    SSTX

SSTX Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    NE Texas
    Vehicle:
    As I expected, the dealer now claims the vibration to be a normal characteristic of the truck after another day of test driving, swapping OE street tires on to test for any difference with my Coopers, and road force balancing the Coopers. To be fair, they've done everything that Toyota tells them to do to address vibration, but therein lies the problem............Toyota seems to admit there is a problem, but proposes nothing but patches to address it. And, it appears they have successfully dodged it with the passage of the 2nd Gen trucks into history. I hope the new Tacomas don't have any of these same problems, but I for one won't be another Beta tester for them.......

18. Dec 13, 2015 at 4:54 PM
    TheGrayRider

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP DC 4X4 OR
    Can't get the vibes to go away ... removed OME CB spacers ... vibes are still there from 20 mph and up.

Changed all 3 ujoints yesterday and still the same vibes ... now I'm thinking it's a carrier bearing that was no good from Toyota.

The new carrier bearing seems to have as much movement as the old one

SMH

19. Dec 18, 2015 at 8:48 AM
    R0dzilla75

R0dzilla75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport
    HID fog light 265-70-17 Firestone destination ATs Led interiors lights TRD seat covers
    How difficult was changing out the joints? I will need to do this eventually and would like to know if it's within my realm of capabilities.

20. Dec 18, 2015 at 8:58 AM
    gunn_runner

gunn_runner www.gunnphotoservices.com

Member:
    Rocky River, OH
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD
    OME 886 & Dakars. 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Boss
    Ive come to my own conclusion (and I may be completely wrong) that the driveline vibration issue affects short bed Tacomas more than long bed Tacomas when lifted, due to the shorter distance between the ends of the driveshaft and the slightly higher angles. Anybody prove me wrong?

Products Discussed in

To Top