1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drivers giving left leg a cramp?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by saaavage, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Apr 10, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    saaavage

saaavage [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lancaster PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport QuadCab
    K&N air filter Weathertech floor mats to be continued...
    Its the strangest thing, if I sit in my drivers seat (05 DBL CAB) for even like 5-10 minutes I get this knot/cramp thing right smack in the middle of my hamstring. It doesnt happen when I sit in other vehicles (4runner my wife has) in either the driver or passenger. Literally only happens in my own truck....

Does anyone else have this at all?
    I do workout alot and am relatively muscular esp in the legs (235 lbs) but if anything the amount of muscle I thought would help shield from these issues not exacerbate....

2. Apr 10, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    The only time my leg bothers me is if im in a lot of stop and go traffic (clutch)
    Do you extend your leg out and rest your foot on the dead pedal or do you keep it more bent and your foot closer to the seat?

3. Apr 10, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    As Johnny said, your foot should rest on the dead pedal. The dead pedal should really be adjustable, like a lot of things. I built mine up a bit to get the fit right. That takes some of the weight off your thigh at the seat edge. Also look at the seat angle. It may not be right for your build. The ergonomics in these trucks is one size fits all (no one). I've had to modify the shift lever, clutch pedal, dead pedal, seat height, and seat angle to make my truck fit.

4. Apr 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    Socalduckslayer

Socalduckslayer Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma
    Odds and Ends
    I have the same issue. I get it in a lot of vehicles but definately worse in Tacomas. The lumbar is not so good, I use an additional lumbar pad and it helps a little. Mine is due to back issues that I have been trying to sort out. I had spinal injections a few weeks ago and it has helped, hurt like hell though. Right where the muscle on the butt attaches to the low back I have a little cyst they found and it is right where the hard spot in the seat it and causes additional pressure/nerve numbing or tingling and pain in leg. I am almost certain that is where my issue comes from and will know soon when the cyst is removed. Just a thought, I have been tryin to sore this out for a long time and this is what I have come up with.

5. Apr 10, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    The TRD seat side bolsters are a little tall for some people. I get this after an hour or two and have to side shift my butt around a bit in the seat.

6. Apr 10, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    saaavage

Member:
    Lancaster PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport QuadCab
    well i am glad i am not the only one!

Shifting the dead pedal height might be a great idea-
    I too have the spinal injections and get them every few mos....

I am assuming there is no well known substitute seat (like a mod for switching out seats) that people have by and large said is themost comfortable....?

7. Apr 10, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    Also, take your wallet out of your back pocket. Your hip is probably higher on one side now due to years of the wallet in the back pocket. I know mine gets shifted pretty bad if I keep it there.
    Go to the chiro and have them look at your hips. Might take an adjustment or two to get it back to normal.

8. Apr 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    These seats suck for adjustability.

9. Apr 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    No issue with mine. My previous vehicle always bothered my legs due to amount of leg room, or lack there of.

10. Apr 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    tuckdaddy

tuckdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    I've never had problems with mine either. taking the wallet out of your back pocket helps a lot especially when driving for long periods of time.

11. Apr 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    This makes me think of seinfeld when georges wallet is like six inches thick haha.
    I find myself taking my wallet out for long trips, but back and forth to work i do fine.

12. Apr 11, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    saaavage

Member:
    Lancaster PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport QuadCab
    I have tried messing with the lumbar support...to no avail...
    I am surprised there is no mod for that...

13. Apr 11, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    My left leg does the same thing right now, and I do a lot of lifting and do blast my legs when at the gym. I think my lower back is strained but yes, it is always my left leg that cramps. It's kind of like a hamstring/quad area.

14. Apr 11, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    MLB YOTA

MLB YOTA Young Gun

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4X4
    3" Pro Comp lift, Truxedo tonneau cover, brush bar, Sony Xplod cd player and Memphis speakers, 8" Dual Sub, JDM black tail lights, black headlights, corners, and turn signals, aFe pro dry S air filter, Deck plate, etc.
  15. Apr 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    saaavage

Member:
    Lancaster PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport QuadCab

THAT IS actually pretty interesting but I have teh bucket seats...

If anything I remember reading somewhere about someone swapping out a Honda sedan seat or something...???
    And saying it was extremely comfortable...

I cant seem to find that thread/information....

Also, the thought of an airbag exploding RIGHT next to your head while being all studious and quiet and be goin' about your bizzness trying to fix yo' seat is enough to make me want to cry

16. Apr 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    i do get a little sore after a long drive, but there aren't too many seats I can stay in for longer than an hour or two. I'm so restless when i'm driving you'd think I had RLS hahahaha. Can't keep my legs still for very long at all when i'm driving

as far as the cramps go, you're a lifter, and im sure you know a bit about nutrition, should go w/out saying, have a banana on deck, potassium in it will kill the cramps with in 10 minutes

17. Apr 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    Yota Toy

Yota Toy Taco Sauce

Member:
    FX retros, Blazer fog-light retro, JVC KW-NT30HD head unit, Pioneer 6X9's in front doors, Pioneer 6.5's in rear doors, two Pioneer 12" subs in sealed boxes, Sony X-Plod amp, Hidden Hitch trailer hitch, EGR window visors, two PIAA low-tone horns, Westin light bar with two 100-watt KC low profile driving lights.
    It happens to me sometimes but I found out it was my wallet! If I take out my wallet I have much less discomfort, and I always do this for trips lasting more than 30 minutes or so...

18. Apr 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    same for me

OP

if you rest your left foot on the dead pedal and your right on the gas, your feet will be a different lengths, correct?

I keep my leg pulled closer to the seat rather than on the pedal. If i keep my foot on the dead pedal, it will get a little sore from it. Maybe try just changing where you keep your foot while you drive?

19. Apr 12, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    5 frickin' years of adjusting my seat, and still can't find the right postion. Maybe it's time for the i-Joy massage chair mod! :)

20. Apr 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    You could do the same thing with the buckets - pull it out - remove the steel & bamboo reinforcing rods, and permanently install improved lumbar support pads.

Products Discussed in

To Top