1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driveshaft problem on Seawall?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Lurkin, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Aug 23, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Anyone on here want to admit some driveshaft problems on the Galveston Seawall Saturday night?

2. Aug 23, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    newbtacoma

newbtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White Sport
    lol not I, what did you see Lurkin?

3. Aug 23, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    Not I, what color was the truck....

4. Aug 23, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    Lurkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    It was a silver long bed.

5. Aug 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    Lurkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Well, no one 'fessin' up, so here is what I saw.

My family went down to Galveston for a "last weekend before school starts" thing (hotel, hotel pool & Schlitterbahn). Saturday night we headed onto the Seawall for a bit of din-din, and while driving down the Seawall I see this red Ford come flying past us (relative "flying" given traffic on the Seawall) and weaving a spot or two through traffic. A minute or so later this silver Taco comes by doing the same thing.

A light turns red and they are both one car back from the light, next to each other, and about 2 cars in front of us. They're both revving up and sounding like a street race is about to start,,, except for those cars ahead of them anyway. Light turns green, car in front of Ford moves forward, Ford moves forward normally, Taco sits a minute, lets car in front of him go forward a bit, then does a weak powerbrake shot and pops forward some.

Couldn't quite tell if they were having a real problem, or just a bit of friendly fun. About a block later, the Taco pulls in behind the Ford, then the Taco pulls into the turn lane next to the Ford (at a stop light) for a minute. Taco then revs up, appears to powerbrake it again, then a loud POP and a thunk, and he pulls into a driveway and slows to a stop. I see something hanging down and as we pull by, the back driveshaft is hanging down. Appears that the U-joint into the carrier bearing had failed catastrophically.

I had to laugh. Would have been funnier if the Ford had dropped it's driveshaft, but I don't have much sympathy for wildman automotive face-offs. Even if it was friendly, it can affect others way too easily especially since it was a busy night on the Seawall.

6. Aug 23, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    bakerla

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    i fit the description as a silver long bed, but i wasn't involved nor is that my driving behavior

7. Aug 24, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    SCOTT'S TACO LOCO

SCOTT'S TACO LOCO Orange It.

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Antonio, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 Toy-yo-duh TACO TRD

Guilty commonly refers to the feeling of guilt, an experience that occurs when a person believes that they have violated a moral standard.

8. Aug 24, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    bakerla

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    welcome back

Products Discussed in

To Top