1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving Loaded!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TOYOTA 09, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Mar 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 [OP] Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    Just wanted to write up a quick comparison between driving my 2009 AC 4x4 6spd Manual (with rear spring TSB) loaded up with a full bed of wood...compared to empty.

Empty (unloaded bed):

The truck drives okay, a little stiffer after the rear TSB, but like a truck should feel. Not a mall crawler. I have been noticing a clunking noise towards the rear of the truck/bed when going over bumps. Been doing some research here and some have said this could be the rear wheel well plastic liner, or the composite bed itself? Also noticing a slapping around under the truck (maybe from the driveline or rear springs) when going over bumps with the drive train unloaded (clutched in or in N).

Loaded (with a bed full of wood):

The trcuk actually drives smoother! Shifts smoother, rides smoother, and the gears feel like they are a better ratio. ALSO no noise coming from the rear!!!

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Mar 13, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    snorola

snorola Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Canmore Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Dbl Cab
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Eibach 14" 650lb springs Camburg UCA's All pro expo springs OME rear shocks All pro front bumper All pro IFS skid All pro sliders SCS f5 matt black rims Lightforce blitz 240's
    with no TSB in my truck it doesn't take much load for my truck to ride like crap and hit the bump stops on every bump.

Went snowboarding today with 4 people and gear and was hitting the rear bump stops on big bumps.... its even worse with my tools in during the week :mad:

time to buy an AAL I guess.... just have to save up some money after spending $1200 on a wheel bearing:eek:

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    anyone else notice that there truck drives better with weight?

4. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    I think it rides better with a few hundred lbs in the back. Much better two wheel drive traction too. I'm thinking about building weight boxes the bolt under the truck.

5. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Drives better as in smoother more car like over bumps? I prefer mine empty as I find it handles better.

6. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:49 AM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:

Correct- drives better as in smoother.....but it does not "handle" as well.

But mainly it makes NO noise when the drive train is slack (in neutral or clutched in) while going over bumps....

does this mean the noise I'm hearing while unloaded is related to the leafs not the trans?

It also shifts smoother while loaded and the gear ratios seem better...this can be fixed with larger tires right?.

7. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule ......................

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport, debadged
    Icon coil overs up front, Total Chaos UCA, Icon remote reservoir in the back with Deaver 11 pack leafs. Sunroof, Hella 500's behind grill.
    The stock rear leafs are crap as far as loading goes, or the bumpstops are way too high. With 4 people in the truck the thing bottoms out of the tiniest of bumps. Even with just myself in it driving, it'll bottom out when I drive aggressively.

8. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My 4 leaf Canadian taco definitely likes a couple hundred pounds in the pack to slightly compress the leafs , I hear ya OP ,

OZ

Products Discussed in

To Top