1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DRL bulbs getting really hot

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Skynet Surfer, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Jul 24, 2020 at 1:04 PM
    Skynet Surfer

Skynet Surfer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dis
    Vehicle:
    15 DC v6 SR
    Hood struts Weathertech floor mats Roll n lock bed cover With custom Yakima rack over the bed Poploc tail gate Bed mat Retrofit source led fog lights Hitch and or 4 pin wiring Or just random small crap!
    I did a retrofit and I noticed how hot the DRL lights are getting, when parking lights are on. Was thinking about led. Wanted to get some opinions. Any special resistors or anything special to make this work?

20200604_231104.jpg

2. Jul 24, 2020 at 1:22 PM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    you’ll be fine. :)

Island Cruiser likes this.
  3. Jul 24, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    Island Cruiser

Island Cruiser TVita

Member:
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    Baja
    How often do you use your DRL? Unless you’re flaunting your halo’s. The DRL dims when your headlights are on. And yes, LED’s require resistors

4. Jul 24, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    I have DRL’s, no issues here whatsoever. :)

5. Jul 24, 2020 at 1:42 PM
    Island Cruiser

Island Cruiser TVita

Member:
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    Baja
    No I know. But 2013 and up have the option of clicking on DRL on the stalk. He’s got a 2015 giving him that option. Him setting it parking lights(one click past DRL) must have him wanting to turn on his halo’s

6. Jul 24, 2020 at 10:02 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    The system is stock and works as designed. The mild heat is a non-issue.

7. Jul 24, 2020 at 10:44 PM
    DaveB.inVa

DaveB.inVa Well-Known Member

Member:
    SWVa
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC SR5 4x4 V6 AT MGM
    Oil Catch Can, OIl Pressure and Temp Gauges, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R16
    I put LED's in for my turn/DRL because a guy at work with an older 2nd gen Tacoma (2011 I think) had issues with his headlights due to heat from the DRL's. As said before, the issue isn't a concern with the new headlight design.

If you do use LED's, you need resistors and you also need a CK LED. Non-CK LED's will blow the turn signal fuse. I used 6 ohm, 50 Watt resistors mounted to sheetmetal nearby. The resistors will get hot and mounting them to sheetmetal will act as a heat sink. I'd have to look to see which wires I connected the resistors to.

8. Jul 25, 2020 at 8:07 AM
    AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD O/R
    I would go with LED's. The heat from the incandescent DRL's can cause the lens to fog inside over time. (I had this happen to my factory headlights. There was a smoky haze on the inside of the headlight lens around the DRL bulbs. The bulbs were factory.) When I upgraded to retrofits I went with amber VLED Tritons during their Black Friday sale last year.

9. Jul 25, 2020 at 8:07 AM
    GrundleJuice

GrundleJuice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    [S]Un-Molested[/S] Lightly Molested
    I'd be interested in any more info you have on this and if you have any part numbers for the resistors you used. Lots of options, big size and mounting differences. Thanks.

10. Jul 31, 2020 at 9:12 PM
    DaveB.inVa

Member:
    SWVa
    Vehicle:
    Grundle (never thought I'd be typing that here), check out 50W 6 ohm resistors on Amazon. They're about $5 or so and the same as the ones you get from diode dynamics but about 1/4 the price. I'll look on the truck in the morning and see which wires I connected it to. I'd go right now but the trucks outside and its pouring down here. I found the info online but it's easier to go to the truck.

I attached them to the radiator support using a thermal adhesive but you can use screws. I've been running them since 2015 with no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/CUTEQUEEN-TR...ld=1&keywords=6+ohm+50w&qid=1596254714&sr=8-2

11. Aug 1, 2020 at 6:11 AM
    GrundleJuice

GrundleJuice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    [S]Un-Molested[/S] Lightly Molested

Thanks for the reply. I think I have two of those left over from my old truck. With the DRL (Canada spec) they will be constantly on and probably produce a serious about of heat. I wonder if there is any other load resistor with a more efficient heat sink or way of consuming power? Off to the interwebs!

Thanks again

12. Aug 7, 2020 at 9:36 PM
    DaveB.inVa

Member:
    SWVa
    Vehicle:
    Grundle,

Sorry for the late reply, I usually only have time to get online late Friday's/early Sat mornings.

I looked at the truck and after I made connections I taped it, I didn't really want to take that apart so I checked my notes. I've kept track of everything I've got since about 2004, every fillup, every mod, mileage calcs, etc, so I checked my notes!

My notes said I put the resistors between light blue and white with black stripe on one side, and yellow and white with black stripe on the other side. The 3rd wire present is green, basically don't connect the resistor to green.

You are correct that they'll be on constantly if DRL is on, US just has the DRL switch position. They do produce a lot of heat, that's why I have mine attached to the metal radiator support with thermal adhesive. It's been that way for 5 years and I run my DRL's on too. I hope your wiring colors are the same being Canadian. If you have a multimeter you can check by looking for pulsations, just stick the probes in the terminal and you should see voltage fluctuations while flashing.

Remember you need CK type bulbs as well for the front.

For the rear you don't need a CK type bulb and there are only two wires. Since these are only on intermittently and even then only operating at 50% duty cycle, they'll not get nearly as hot. In that case, I honestly was lazy and just connected the resistors and let them hang. I tried testing the flasher while holding the resistor and it wasn't getting hot enough to cause me concern.

Hope this helps and that everything somewhat matches up between trucks from Canada and the US.

Products Discussed in

To Top