1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DRL Failures, Locker Indicator Flashing, and Chasing Electrical Gremlins

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by therealprotaco, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:28 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    Can we get a scope trace with a shorter time scale? I suspect those peaks might be higher, but the scope is missing them at such a long time base.

xxTacocaTxx and Stocklocker like this.
  2. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:31 PM
    baldbeardedtaco

baldbeardedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    What about the part in the email that says they scoped (whatever it was called) a new on the lot stock Tacoma and removed the relay/fuse, ran the test and it also showed a drain/power- when they say that’s impossible!?? This is the part that has me confused.

so if it happens on yours, happens on a stock then is it also possible it (the draw even after removing the relay and such) effects us all with a possibly bad part/design etc? And they don’t want to open a can of worms. I mean on the other hand not many people are losing their drl but according to them it also shouldn’t perform like that (with the draw).

3. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:31 PM
    therealprotaco

therealprotaco [OP] Always Skeptical

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock Tundra TRD PRO DC
    If the dealer agrees to do the testing again with the parts unplugged, I’ll ask them to provide a shorter time scale as well.

4. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:33 PM
    therealprotaco

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    That email is the reason I have been fighting so hard. They went from not knowing what was wrong, to approving a repair, to suddenly denying it due to aftermarket interference. Then Toyota corporate admitted they didn’t know what was wrong, then they send the FTS out again, and that brings us to today.

5. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member in poor standing

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Canada Eh!
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 6MT, Blazing Blue Pearl
    Manual Mall Crawler
    I would be curious how they are being dimmed. This is a simple on off relay circuit. Power directly from a fuse, and then each light grounded to chassis. The only possibility would be pulse width modulation. Turning the relay on and off. Mechanical relays do not tend to last long doing that. They like to weld themselves shut. Usually this is done with solid state devices.

Also with the circuit the way it is wired give isolation from the body module. So any voltage noise would be induced from a high frequency source run close to the DRL wiring or from a diode failure in the alternator diode trio. The alternator would then be putting out A/C voltage.

6. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:43 PM
    Kamille.bidan

Kamille.bidan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue TRD OR MT
    Well...

If you install aftermarket lights, or fool with the cars wiring. I don’t how Toyota is responsible for anything that happens to the electrical system.

slander and BillsSR5 like this.
  7. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:43 PM
    baldbeardedtaco

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    But what aftermarket interference was present on the stock Tacoma that showed the same results. So technically testing it/paying to scope it with everything unplugged would be worthless minus the fact it would be on your record. You should be getting the report of the test they took on the lot stock Tacoma. Get that report and email that says Toyota said that’s not possible. That’s the only ammunition I see that you have.

8. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:48 PM
    therealprotaco

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I’m not really looking for ammunition (at this point). I’m more looking for actual cause of failure.

If I decided to take this further, which I still may if Toyota refuses to allow the dealer to scope my car with the aftermarket parts unplugged, or they do scope it and the 0.6v variance is still present, then I can cross the “ammunition” bridge.

9. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:52 PM
    therealprotaco

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Toyota is responsible to repair any condition that is covered by warranty that they cannot prove is caused by the aftermarket parts (or damage/unreasonable use while in my possession).

Like I said. I’m willing to pay to play. I modify all my cars with the full knowledge that those parts may cause a warranty denial if those parts cause the failure of a factory part/system.

In this case, Toyota not only couldn’t figure it out, they have outright admitted (until yesterday) that they refuse to diagnose.

10. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:10 PM
    Stocklocker

Stocklocker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    Mine definitely dim, dramatically. Might be part of the Canadian spec.

11. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:10 PM
    baldbeardedtaco

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    Why are you allowing them to decide for you on paying for a service. Unplug the shit then take it in and say you want it scoped, Period. Your not asking them to approve warranty service- you want to pay for a service so you don’t need permission. Your service advisor looks like a decent common sense guy (hence his questions regarding the diagnosis)

All I’m saying now is don’t ask or wait for approval on non warranty service requested

12. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    Stocklocker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    Don’t forget, it’s Toyota before country around here. Beside, I love my American bruvs and sissas. We’re all in it together now, at least my point of view.

13. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    therealprotaco

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    That is what I’m trying to do. Dealership won’t do it even as a customer pay without Toyota’s approval.

My service advisor is fantastic and I had a 20 min conversation with the service director today who shares my concerned but basically this is business. I understand his position and don’t blame him. If Toyota says he can do it, great, I’ll pay them for an hour of their time.

I have another shop I’m talking to that seems like they may be interested in doing the testing but the issue is scope calibration and testing equipment variance. What I really want is the testing to be done on the same scope so no one can say it is due to equipment variance.

14. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member in poor standing

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Canada Eh!
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 6MT, Blazing Blue Pearl
    Manual Mall Crawler
    I am pretty sure mine dims as well. That makes me question the schematics that I included.

15. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:14 PM
    Stocklocker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    In my professional opinion, this is the best route of inquiry.

therealprotaco[OP] likes this.
  16. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:15 PM
    baldbeardedtaco

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    If that’s the case then it smells fishy to me… they are hiding something and possibly don’t want to open a can of worms

edit: I’m sure the dealer was told more than what was shared with you by Toyota. Ie. Forcing them to deny customer pay service.

17. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:24 PM
    therealprotaco

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I very much agree. Both the dealer and Toyota are also aware of what I do for a living (civil litigation attorney). In all honesty if they didn’t know that, I don’t think this “diagnosis” would have even made it this far.

I really can’t speak highly enough about this dealership though. They have truly bent over backwards trying to get this taken care of for me as all indications point towards the fact that their staff and techs don’t agree with Toyota’s decision.

18. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:24 PM
    Couesfanatic

Couesfanatic Well-Known Member

Member:
    What Dealer?

Skydvrr likes this.
  19. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:26 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    Also, test more trucks. We don't know what range is normal variation truck to truck. Maybe a 0.6V difference is a lot. Or, maybe a 1.0V range of difference is more typical. The more trucks measured, the more reliable the data and any observed trends will have more meaning.

therealprotaco[OP] likes this.
  20. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:28 PM
    therealprotaco

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    At this point I’m not trying to share that info because I’ve seen too many TW pitchfork mobs over the years. Whether this gets repaired under warranty or not, my relationship with this truck and this dealer aren’t ending anytime soon so I want to keep it on the up and up.

Products Discussed in

To Top