1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Droning noise only in 6th gear (MT)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Spansfelder, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Feb 12, 2016 at 10:21 AM
    Spansfelder

Spansfelder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX / Germany
    Vehicle:
    05 4WD
    Gentleman,

I have a weird noise issue with my Tacoma lately. I had it at the dealership and all they said were my tires are causing road noise…..

The car: 2005 access cab, 4ltr, 4WD, 6” suspension lift, 35’s, 6 speed MT

The problem: I have a horrible drone in 6th gear lately (woooaaawoooaawoooaa something like that). It starts right around 68 to 70 mph. I had it at the dealership for a couple recalls and had them check on it as well. They keep saying it comes from the tires and there is nothing wrong with the car. But if the tires are causing it, the noise should be there in all gears or am I wrong? I rotated the tires for giggles and it didn’t change anything.

They also stated that the front wheel bearings are about to go out. I have some on order and will replace them as soon as they get here. But same thing, it can’t be caused by the bearing since then it would be there in all gears correct?

I looked at/inspected all bearings and everything visible, but I can’t see anything obvious wrong with the car. Also checked the fluids and they are all full (changed the transmission fluid around 6 month ago).

Searched through the forum, a couple people had similar issues, but they are all complaining about a whining sound and not a droning sound.

Anybody any ideas or any leads what to look for?

The sound is driving me nuts….

2. Feb 12, 2016 at 11:34 AM
    AKHawkeye

AKHawkeye Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    15 AC Sport 4x4 6 Spd
    Locked as stock
    Not to sound stupid, and I have no mechanical knowledge to contribute, but when going 68-70 have you tried dropping it into 5th gear? You hear it in 6th, but not 5th at the same speed? If this is the case it should be quite easy to replicate for the dealership.

3. Feb 12, 2016 at 12:20 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Wheel bearings

4. Feb 12, 2016 at 2:40 PM
    Spansfelder

Member:
    Austin, TX / Germany
    Vehicle:
    05 4WD
    It is, the foreman refused to go that fast since the speed limit was 65 :der: :der: :der:

I can replicate it all day long, but they kept blaming it on the tires.

But if the wheel bearings are the problem, wouldn't it be in different gears as well?

5. Feb 12, 2016 at 2:43 PM
    doyouevenprerun

doyouevenprerun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake from state farm
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 TuRD
    just got a simple lift on her
    so have you tried dropping it into 5th gear while still doing 70 mph and what does it do?

6. Feb 12, 2016 at 2:44 PM
    Spansfelder

Member:
    Austin, TX / Germany
    Vehicle:
    05 4WD
    Yup 75 in 5th and no noise!

7. Feb 12, 2016 at 2:54 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    I'm gonna say wheel bearings or tires as well. I have MT's on the back of the truck (long story, don't worry about it lol) and I get that Mud terrain buzz at about 65-70 or so. The reason you hear it the most in 6th is because engine RPMs are lower in 6th. In 4th/5th at that speed you can barely even hear it over the engine. Then again, I'm usually speeding through 65 to another speed, and I can't hear shit over the whine :D

8. Feb 12, 2016 at 3:23 PM
    Spansfelder

Member:
    Austin, TX / Germany
    Vehicle:
    05 4WD
    Thanks all. To be honest, it doesn't make sense to me that the bearing should cause it only in 6th gear and not in 5th.

BUT the bearings are on it's way, we will know more soon :boom:

9. Feb 12, 2016 at 3:31 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    They can't do 70 in a 65 to diagnose your issue because of many reasons.

It isn't crazy.

10. Feb 12, 2016 at 4:19 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I'm guessing that the noise is just quiet enough that you don't hear it over the higher RPMs of 5th gear. Also that the bearings aren't bad enough to hear at slower speeds. The gear box isn't known to have any problems on these. It'll be interesting to hear if the new bearings solve the problem. It could be the tires, too... but a harmonic wawawawa is likely the bearings.

11. Feb 12, 2016 at 6:01 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
  12. Jun 20, 2017 at 11:09 AM
    Tedc001

Tedc001 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tef
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD sport
    Hey Spansfelder I have the same problem with my Tacoma, did you ever get it figured out?

13. Sep 14, 2018 at 9:40 PM
    genericTiger

genericTiger Active Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Actually I know this thread is old, but I have the same thing, and I was hoping OP has an update/outcome/solution or something?

14. Jun 16, 2023 at 7:36 AM
    jamTaco 4x4

jamTaco 4x4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2004, 2.7L, 5 Speed, 4WD, Ext. Cab
    I have this same issue on my 2012 TRD Sport 6-speed. I just bought it a couple weeks ago.. no driveability issues but that droning is very annoying on the highway. Anyone here have an answer to this?

Products Discussed in

To Top