1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drove a Gen 1 for the first time.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by squad314, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Jul 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM
    squad314

squad314 [OP] Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Yesterday I had the opportunity to drive a Gen 1 Tacoma.It was an '01 extended cab 4x4 in green with the tan interior......What a nice truck! As expected,I found the drivers door a little closer than mine and I found the seat a little lower so that my legs were slightly straighter while driving.Also as expected,it was tight and smooth on the road,and quiet and rattle free on a bumpy dirt road.I loved the dash and instruments,simple yet effective.The auto shifted smooth and it seemed plenty powerful.

My affection for Toyota trucks began when I was 20,when one of my co-workers had an '87 (I believe) xtra cab diesel 4x4.I had a CRX at the time and we would trade when I wanted to camping or canoeing.I took a brand new '89 reg cab black 4x4 for a test drive,but couldn't afford the payments.I ended up trading the CRX on an '87 Nissan because I couldn't find a Toyota.

19 years and a ton of vehicles later,I finally got my black Toyota truck and couldn't be happier.I'm sorry it took 3 generations to do it but I just wanted you guys to know how nice your trucks were....enjoy 'em.:)

2. Jul 24, 2008 at 7:05 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i love my first gen tacoma......but i still think they could have put the clock in a better locale.......kinda goofy where its at!!!:D

3. Jul 24, 2008 at 7:14 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I had a 2000 before I recently purchased my 2008. That first gen was an awesome truck. It was trouble free and did everything I could ask of it and did it well. I do love my '08 but I sometimes feel like some of the reliability and traded it for looks and more features. That 2000 just always felt rock solid just a great truck. I still wish there was a way I could have afforded to have them both.

-Dan

4. Jul 24, 2008 at 7:38 AM
    SilverMac

SilverMac Mine's the silver one...

Member:
    Keller, TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner DC SR5
    I drove several brand new 1st generation Tacomas years ago, but was never able to afford them. I always loved the simple layout and the reliability records... It wasn't until the past few years that I could afford to drive what I want, so unless I went used, it was going to be on 07 or 08. I do love my truck, and I hope it lasts as long as all those gen 1s out there!

5. Jul 24, 2008 at 7:50 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Some of the reasons why I hang onto mine!!! I looked at your photos and you certainly landed yourself a FINE example of Tacoma badness:)

6. Jul 24, 2008 at 8:04 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I miss my first gen that I owned. That was my first truck. Loved that thing.
    Along with that - was my newbie-ness to offroading. Had such good times back then with the truck & good friends. I miss those days....

My husband has been seeing my old baby parked across the street where he works. In all its glory.....TJM front bumper & all the mods I did are still intact.

These 2nd gen tacomas are about the same size as the original Tundra. There's a white Tundra that parks beside me at work. It's weird...but they're both about the same height & width.

7. Jul 24, 2008 at 12:44 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

My boss has a first gen Tundra and yeah my tacoma is just about the same size, but his Tundra can't touch the looks of the Tacoma

-Dan

Products Discussed in

To Top