1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drum Leaking fluid

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Front sight, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Jul 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    Front sight

Front sight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    I did a search as I did with all the other problems I had with my Taco and couldn't find this one. My brake light began to light up intermittingly so I did a search and checked my front brake pads for wear. They were about 50% so I looked to my drums. The shoes look fine, but I found that on the drivers rear drum I have a leak. It's leaking from the bleed off nipple. Is that a piece I can replace? I check my fluid reservoir and I was at the min mark. I topped it off a little for now, but I need a permanent fix.

Thanks
    Dominik

2. Jul 19, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    you can either replace it or try to tighten it down a little. might just be a bit loose. those fittings should be easy to find

3. Jul 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    You can get new ones. I think I saw some at Napa the last time I was there, you'd have to check if they have the right ones for the Tacoma though.

Are you sure the bleeder valve is tightened all the way down? Should be 8 ft/lbs torque.

4. Jul 19, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    Front sight

Front sight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    Boss, it's tighter then fish pussy. It's not leaking from the base at the threads. It's leaking from the tip of the bleeder. I'll try Napa and see what they have.

Do I bleed drum brakes the same as disc's? I have a one man bleeder kit I'll be using. I don't have any exp. with drums.

5. Jul 19, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    kws129

kws129 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road Double Cab
    I'm not sure if you'll be able to just get the bleeder screw as a stand alone part or not. Honestly I've never seen one leak right out of the bleeder before. You may end up putting the whole wheel cylinder on, which is not really a big deal as they aren't obnoxiously expensive. It is a bit of a wrestling match with the drum brakes and you need a special tool to take the retainer springs off. As far as bleeding goes just like the discs, you may have to hit the opposite side in the rear just to double check you have all the air out. Good luck

6. Jul 19, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Hmm those things do not leak unless they are loose. There is no valve in them when you loosen them up then they let fluid out because holes align.
    try Napa, but before you put new one take a look at the threads inside the caliper and the old one. It could be somebody had put one that is too short, or strip the threads out.

7. Jul 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    There could be a bit of dirt or a metal shaving on the seat of the bleeder valve. You don't need a big leak to get a little seepage at the kinds of hydraulic pressures you see in a brake system.

I would pull the bleeder valve, inspect the seat for debris or damage, and install a new one. Followed by a full brake bleed of course.

Products Discussed in

To Top