1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DSC home alarm system fault

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SCFirefighter, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Jul 18, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter [OP] on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Are there any DYI alarm programmers here? My PC1555 keypad keeps generating a fault status but I can't figure out what's wrong.
    I'd rather get some community input before I pay some clown $180 to come by my house and "fix" something blatantly obvious.

2. Jul 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    Neked09

Neked09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 4X4 Off-Road
    What is the fault code?

How old is the system?

It could be as simple as a low battery.

3. Jul 18, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    The system code indicates a low battery voltage, but it's not low. The disconnected battery reads 13.3v and the battery code should only come up if the voltage dips below 12.5v. The leads to the battery read 13.6v to keep it charged.

The trouble code comes and goes, which irks me. It stays for a few minutes and disappears for 10-40 minutes and then returns. Same code all the time.

4. Jul 18, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    If you can source one for cheap I would change it especially if it is fairly old.

5. Jul 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    The battery readouts were fine, but I did go ahead and replace it with one from a local battery store. So far it's holding up: no beeps. ($29)
    The battery was 6+ years old. Maybe it performs as 12vdc when not under load, but dips when power is drawn. I have a few wireless monitors in addition to the hardwired ones.

If the system holds up for the rest of the night without beeps, I'll consider it fixed. :)

The wife is out of town; I'm sure she'll be happy to have the system online again when she gets back.

6. Jul 18, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I think you nailed it on the head. Under a load the voltage probably dips enough to trigger a fault code. This happened on the alarm system at work. It tested okay when I removed but I went ahead and replaced it as well.

7. Jul 18, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    Neked09

Neked09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 4X4 Off-Road
    It is a battery fault.

The batterys have a 5 year max life. They will start faulting during the self test cycle and throw a code and then reset. If you had a battery load tester you could check it but if it is 6 years old change it to be safe and wait 48 hours to see what happens.

8. Jul 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    So far so good. No faults yet :)
    I'm confident that'll be the end of it.

I tested my system a few mins ago, and besides all the zones I tripped myself they also reported several Zone0 (panel/system) battery faults. Nice .. if only they had bothered to call me for those as well. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top