1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DTRL Melting Lens

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Poacher, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    cverneau

cverneau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 Auto
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    I used the 3057A's. I still wnated them amber. They are a little tough pushing in and pulling out, but you shouldn't come any where near the force to break the bulb.

2. Nov 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    MrsPib

MrsPib Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTAS, TOYOTAS EVERYWHERE
    Okay, cool. I also finally got the bulbs in :D

I plan of doing the DRL mod you mentioned. Do you have any more info on it, or is it as simple as taking the low 'side marker' wire and hooking it into the DRL bulb, while taking the high DRL wire and hooking that to the 'side marker' bulb?

3. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:35 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    Here's a link to the original thread that got me interested in it:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/177246-yellow-light-things-where-blinkers.html

There's other links in there that will explain it better with photo's, but what you asked is pretty much it - splice into the constant side marker wire and plug into the empty DTRL (low element side) plug for the DTRL'S. The side marker as a blinker mod is actually completely cutting the other side marker wire and splicing the blinker wire on the DTRL to the newly cut wire. I think that's also referenced and linked to in the above thread as well. There should also be some video of the final outcome as well.
    Remember - they're two seperate mods, but if you plan on doing both, then doing them at the same time will make more sense as your already under the hood and have the wire looms pulled apart. If you're unsure and nervous about cutting wires, then do what I did - I grabbed a couple of pieces of wire abot 2-3' in length and just touched them to the connections to make sure what I was gonna do would work before permanently cutting and splicing.

4. Nov 8, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    jtice

jtice Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Pioneer P4100DVD, 10" Pioneer Shallow Mount Sub
    My 2011 did not have the DLRL option, but I added it by splicing into the side marker and having it run the LOW side of the bulb.
    I have not noticed any issues so far, its been a few months.
    I also modded my side markers to be turn signals also, took 4 relays all together, but it turned out nice lol

5. Nov 8, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    MrsPib

MrsPib Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Whoever designed how to take off the headlamp assemblies should be shot. I did this x2 last night. It hurt more to tear apart my 15k truck (this one) then it did my 47k truck...

[​IMG]

I'll post up why I did this in a few days.....

6. Nov 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    I'm curious why you used relays??
    As far as I can tell, all your doing is giving the bulbs power, whether it be constant or alternating (as in a blinker). I realize the side marker bulbs are smaller than the DTRL's, but it's the same amount of juice going to either bulb. So how did you end up doing it??

7. Nov 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    jtice

jtice Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Pioneer P4100DVD, 10" Pioneer Shallow Mount Sub
    Sorry, shouldnt have left that so open ended.
    Here is a thread that I talked about my plans in.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/175191-led-daytime-turn-signal-lighting-mod-idea.html

In short, so i dont totally highjack this thread...
    I tapped the low output of the turn signal off the side marker lights, so that it acted as a day light running light, except using the low beam of the bulb.
    The turn signal then used the high output filament of the bulb.
    Then, I added a relay system, so that when the turn signal bulb blinked, so did the side marker.
    But, remember, the side marker is already on, so, I made it so when the high output filament of the turn signal blinked ON, the side marker blinks OFF.
    Does a nice alternating flash. nice attention getter at night.

With all the lights off, (typical day time driving in sunlight) they act a bit differently.
    The turnsignal and the side marker blink ON together. Which seems to get the best attention for daytime.

8. Nov 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    MrsPib

MrsPib Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Okay, so, it worked. Everyone over 36k, go find a nice person with <36k and clean DTRL and go switch with them.

DTRLs, ordered and on the way. Boo. yah.

I was beginning to worry that maybe I tore both trucks a part for nothing, but the dealership down the street didn't even ask a question beyond "miles?"

9. Nov 9, 2011 at 3:51 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    I gotcha now, Jtice.
    Mine act the same as yours do with the alternate blinking when the lights are on as well and blink together during the daytime when the lights aren't on. I didn't use any relays - I actually cut the hot wire totally on the side markers (terminated it and taped it off) and spliced that side marker wire to the "high" element on the DTRL's (so they actually share the same wire and signal).

10. Nov 9, 2011 at 4:08 AM
    Murman

Murman Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner SR5 Access Cab 4cyl auto
    Undercover hard tonneau WeatherTech Floor Liners
    This mod here shows you how to install a switch to turn your DTRL's on and off. I did this mod so I wouldn't have this melting problem. Now I just leave them off completely until it's time to get my vehicle inspected. They still work as turn signals even with the switch in the "off" position.

11. Dec 3, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    johnanm

johnanm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Up
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab 2.7L Prerunner
    Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75" front shocks on stock springs, AFE ProDry drop-in, white DTRLs, Sylvania ZXE headlamps, DeeZee bed mat, Tailgate hose clamp mod, cheap snap craigslist tonneau, Weathertech vent visors, secondary air filter removed, Class III hitch
    Put in 6.7 W 3057A LL bulbs yesterday. Pic shows the difference between it and the stock bulb. Not easy to tell, but the stock bulb is on the right. Best way I can describe it is that the new bulb is almost as bright, but has a cleaner glow to it, somewhat less orange than stock.

IMAG0129.jpg

12. Dec 3, 2011 at 7:02 AM
    09 Redneck

09 Redneck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga
    Anybody have the TSB number for this problem

13. Dec 3, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    MrsPib

MrsPib Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    It'll be in the TSB sticky. I'd copy and paste but I'm on my phone. It's the only DTRL TSB out so far, I believe.

14. Dec 3, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    i just disabled the DTRL just incase.. .... soo its just a blinker now.

i dont want to screw up my LS460 setup LOL

15. Dec 3, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    It should be on your service record. I bet if you pull it up it might have the tsb on it?

16. Dec 3, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    09 Redneck

Member:
    Ga
    Thanks for the replies. Found the articles but still no TSB number.

17. Dec 22, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    BigIslandWahine

BigIslandWahine aita peapea

Member:
    First Name:
    Pualilia
    Island of Hawai'i, Northern Tip
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport DC Longbed 4x4
    all stock except sounds. tint, Wet Okoles, Campershell w/Racks
    Mine bubbled and cracked. Sucks...just another thing to try to fix on my Tacoma.:rolleyes: But I still love her anyways, she's awesome:D I'm not under warranty anymore, so I'll have to see what they say. Anyone ever find that TSB # for this issue??

18. Feb 9, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    Endurozw

Endurozw War Damn Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC SR5 w/ tow package
    Fold-a-cover G4 - Wranger Duratrac 265/75/16 Audio Upgrades: Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD / JL Audio HD600/4 amp / Hybrid Audio 6.5 Clarus up front / Arc Audio 10 in subwoofer
    I tried to go to the dealership under the extended warranty but he said all they would do is replace them with the same bulbs...commented that my best bet was to buy some lower wattage bulbs. I picked up some of the 3057A bulbs that were mentioned in another thread for $6 from Advanced Auto but I'd be curious if the TSB mentions lower wattage bulbs as a replacement or possibly LED?

19. Feb 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    09 Redneck

Member:
    Ga
    I thought they had to replace them cause they have a TSB out on it. No questions asked when I showed them mine.

20. Feb 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    Endurozw

Endurozw War Damn Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC SR5 w/ tow package
    Fold-a-cover G4 - Wranger Duratrac 265/75/16 Audio Upgrades: Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD / JL Audio HD600/4 amp / Hybrid Audio 6.5 Clarus up front / Arc Audio 10 in subwoofer
    Well I've searched in here and google'd the issue and after three websites I haven't found an actual physical "TSB" number for this issue but people mention that there is a TSB for it? Maybe someone under warranty can wander in and snatch the TSB number for us.

Products Discussed in

To Top