1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DTRL toggle switch

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Crom, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:52 PM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I have always wanted to install a toggle switch to control the factory DTRL. There are times with stealth is required and having bright orange lights is counter productive. Let's not debate the merits of the DTRL system.

I have reviewed the factory wiring diagram for the 2007 Tacoma which should be the same for the 2009 models as well.

As best I can tell all I need to do is insert a switch between the body ECU and the signal flasher @ wire/pin #12 (Light Green & Red wire). According to my notes the 1M junction block wire harness is driver side lower finish panel.

Opinions?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Apr 1, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    To answer my own question... Yes. I unplugged wire harness "1M" from the Body ECU. There are only three wires that are in the 12 wire harness.

Unplugging the harness disabled the front turn signals only.

Two of the wires, one for left turn signal and the other is for the right turn signal. The last wire, the red and green one is explicitly for the purpose of the DTRL signal.

I plan to install my switch in the coming days and post pictures. The hardest part of this mod is pretzeling my body under the dash to access the rear body ECU which for all intents and purposes is the other side of the fuse block (on the left driver side).

3. Apr 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!
    Cool! I am so not electrically inclined, but I am interested to see how it works. I wouldn't mind stealth mode at all... :]

4. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    ExpoSpy

ExpoSpy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Temecula
    Just wondering, have you been able to wire the switch? I am thinking of doing the same thing. Keep us posted! :)

5. Apr 4, 2010 at 11:31 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
  6. Apr 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    ExpoSpy

ExpoSpy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Temecula
    So I finally did the DTRL interrupter...pretty simple here is a picture of where I put the by-pass button. I absolutely love this mod!:headbang:
    DTRLInterrupter_aa0b7657aa8d574fc6650f5615d423f305e9bef8.jpg

ready6delta likes this.
  7. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    That looks like a great location. I'm so glad it worked for you. :)

8. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    Here is an idea, you can probably keep the shorts (marked *2 in the schematic), shorting 1M pins 1 and 2, and pins 11 and 12, then route the wires marked TFL and TFR through the firewall to the third plug on the front turn signals.

By just doing that, the second (Dim) filament will function as the DRL, while the first (Bright) filament will work just as if it is in a non DRL circuit, just a plain turn signal light.

If you are not using LED, then you will just get both filaments blinking when turn signal is on, for a super bright blinking light in front!

If you want the second filament to be off during turn signal, you can probably use the DRL line on relays to turn off TFL and TFR lines.

9. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:31 PM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    the DRL flasher contains relays inside. I bet the DRL line will switch the TFL and TFR lines to connect to the LL and LR lines (essentially making the *2 short) when turn signal is on so the lights will blink. So those can probably just be disconnected so the second filament does not blink when turn signal is on. There should be no need to add another relay just to use the second filament (or switchback LED).

I think that is why this DRL toggle switch mod works, if there is no DRL signal, then the TFL and TFR lines are simply just connected to LL and LR (probably on normally closed contact of the relay)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top