1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual battery setup

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Braves95, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:11 PM
    Braves95

Braves95 [OP] Go Clemson Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    17 MGM TRD Off Road DCSB P&T 6MT
    Fab Fours Bumper Block Heater Dual Exhaust Flow Master Smittybilt 12k Winch Synthetic Rope Bed Mat Roof Rack Puddle Lights 17" Rockstar Wheels NittoTerra Grapplers Power TailGate Lock Tonneau Cover w/lights Mobtown sliders MT Remote Start Tinted Windows Front And Rear Camera BRC Competition Diff Breather Bed Step Weather tech Floor Mats TRD Pro Tail lights TRD MT Shift Knob ARB dual compressor URD short shifter Kings 2.5 OEM W/remote resi. Click adjuster.
    Thinking of doing the off grid 4x4 setup for 2017 TRD ORDC. I get the battery's and all the wiring. But does there need to be a bigger amp alternator for this setup?

2. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:15 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    It is hard to comment on something so vague. You want to do something but aren't sure if you need to upgrade to account for something else. But you don't want something to happen.

I think something should be sufficient. If not you need to do something.

Joe23 and 0210 like this.
  3. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:16 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    if you're gonna be winching, yes

4. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:19 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Well it's a 3rd gen so I agree.

5. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:35 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Fab Fours Bumper Block Heater Dual Exhaust Flow Master Smittybilt 12k Winch Synthetic Rope Bed Mat Roof Rack Puddle Lights 17" Rockstar Wheels NittoTerra Grapplers Power TailGate Lock Tonneau Cover w/lights Mobtown sliders MT Remote Start Tinted Windows Front And Rear Camera BRC Competition Diff Breather Bed Step Weather tech Floor Mats TRD Pro Tail lights TRD MT Shift Knob ARB dual compressor URD short shifter Kings 2.5 OEM W/remote resi. Click adjuster.
    No no. I don't mind upgrading. I have 12k winch smitybilt. 7 pod lights. Galaxy 98vhp CB radio 200 watt amp uses 50amp fuse to the battery.
    @ramonortiz55 should I run the wire from the winch to the Aux battery or the main battery?

6. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:38 PM
    Ch78

Ch78 GBO!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    17' Taco Supreme
    Tuned By D3 Performance
    He asked if he needs to run a larger alternator for a duel battery Off-Grid setup. What's so hard to understand about that?

Ngneer, crymes, TartanEagle and 3 others like this.
  7. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:44 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Amen+brother+sister+_06d50d46b3e95c91abb39f6034e20451.jpg

nat103, opentang and Ch78[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:49 PM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade DCLB
    OP gave zero information on his intended uses of the dual batteries. You can setup a hundred batteries on the truck and be able to run them with the original alternator, or you can have a single one and drain the thing. The difference is in how you use them.

Joe23 and Ch78[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Sorry about that. I did repost later with what I'm running. And asking if I should run the winch to the Aux battery or to the main. Or does it not matter??

10. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:54 PM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    It can matter... again, depending on your use case :). If you're stuck in a river with a non-running truck, don't want to start it (and risk taking on water) and need to winch yourself out, you'll wish your winch was connected to your aux battery. Then again, if you just spent two days camping, killed your aux battery via your other electronics, and got stuck in a mud hole twenty minutes out of camp, you'll wish your winch was connected to your main battery. Pick your poison.

Mine's connected to my main.

Best-case is to use some quick-disconnect connectors (these connectors are an example - make sure they're appropriate for your guage wiring and current draw) in your winch wiring and be able to easily (tool-free) move the winch power from one battery to the other.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Braves95[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:55 PM
    natural_nativ

natural_nativ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR MT Quicksand
  12. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:58 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Nice. I like that. Thanks. Sorry about the first post. I'll try and get better to lay it out better.

0210[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 27, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Just order the disconnects. And thanks again. Should be here on Wednesday.

14. Feb 27, 2017 at 5:08 PM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for the confusion, but those were/are an example, not a specific recommendation. Check the current usage of your winch and make sure these connectors will handle it. According to Amazon, these are rated for 350amps. I don't know what winch you're using, but I do know some have current spikes of up to 500+ amps, which may be more than these connectors can handle. Also consider what guage wiring will be coming from the winch and to the battery, and make sure these connectors will work.

And check the reviews - someone is complaining that despite being advertised for 2-4 AWG, these connectors don't fit wiring thicker than 4 AWG. Basically, do your homework :).

If you need to, Amazon orders can be cancelled through the account/orders page.

For what it's worth, I've used these same Aurelio Tech connectors (but the 6-8 guage variant) for my compressor, and I do like them. When I eventually set up quick-disconnects for my winch, I'll almost certainly use them (but the heavier-guage variant, like the one I linked to) again.

15. Feb 27, 2017 at 5:11 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:

16. Feb 27, 2017 at 5:12 PM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    One more thing - the pins in these connectors aren't crimp-able (at least in the 6-8 AWG version I used), so make sure you're equipped to solder the wiring in. I used a blow-torch to melt a ton of solder inside the pin (it easily comes out of the connector), and then inserted the wire while the solder was still liquid.

Braves95[OP] likes this.
  17. Feb 27, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    Broccoli

Broccoli Well-Known Member

Member:
    Airdrie Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 trd sport blazing blue,
    +1 on the forklift connectors, they can deffinetly save your ass out in the backwoods. Plus if your winch is in a cradle (able to move from front to rear) they come in handy, thats how i did mine also.

18. Feb 27, 2017 at 5:16 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    The X2O winch features a completely waterproof 500 AMP solenoid pack that can be mounted in 2 different locations, depending on your application needs.

19. Feb 27, 2017 at 5:23 PM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Uhhh, yes, but that doesn't play into this discussion. On the Smittybilt 9500 X2O that I have, the solenoid can be mounted in the center, off to the side, or completely off the main winch. The quick-disconnect connector will be between the solenoid and the battery.

20. Feb 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    @0210 thing is if he has the off grid engineering one it doesn't matter what battery to a point. One switch and you can force connect the two.

But for OP another thing with winching many articles bring up is of main you'll get more feed in from the alternator vs the aux. But then you risk draining your starting battery. So if you do hard winching then shut down the truck you could be fucked. @0210 put it best basically. Completely depends on your use. I'll likely put mine right to the main and run all other stuff on the other battery.
    But I'm really liking that quick connect idea

Braves95[OP] likes this.
To Top